Uh oh...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by 74 Jailbreak, Sep 18, 2007.

1. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

Alright guys... I've read over every thread here. But...

I'm still a complete recording noob. With my birthday/Christmas around the corner, I'm looking into getting some equipment. Any ideas? Remember, I know absolutly nothing about this stuff... And I'm running on Windows XP, if that helps anything...

2. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    What do you want to do with it?

Record guitar riffs?
    Record an album?

3. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Do you have a sound card plugged in, or on board sound.

If a card, what is it?

I have a Creative Labs Audigy2 Platinum Ex.

My guitar goes into an effects unit with all effects turned off, just to get the volume up, and into the Mic input.

Some people recommend a pre-amp, but they're not cheap.

I can't mic up my amp because of neighbours, so this works for me.

I then use Amplitube (www.amplitube.com) to simulate my amp and speaker, and add any effects I want, and record into my midi/sample sequencer Making Waves, Studio version (http://tinyurl.com/2hdnkj).

Other People use other apps and methods, and someone else should be along with they're own ideas.

4. 1Way

1Way Active Member

sgtbeefheart
    I am trying the demo of amplitube currently. But I have a problem with way too much static when I try to use it. I'm using somewhat expensive headphones. I know it has a noise gate, but that program seems extremely noisy. So much so that I can't enjoy using it even though I'd really like to use it. My raw guitar signal is plain as the day is long, but without noise until I open up Amplitube demo.

5. Antti

Antti New Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=15046.msg201842#msg201842 date=1197562462]
    sgtbeefheart
    I am trying the demo of amplitube currently. But I have a problem with way too much static when I try to use it. I'm using somewhat expensive headphones. I know it has a noise gate, but that program seems extremely noisy. So much so that I can't enjoy using it even though I'd really like to use it. My raw guitar signal is plain as the day is long, but without noise until I open up Amplitube demo.
    [/quote]

settings -> audio settings -> lower the sample rate.
    i got rid of the noise that way, but i still have the anyoing latency

6. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

BTW, if you suffer from latency, it's a sound card problem. Your sound card has to support the ASIO protocol ! Check out your sound card manifacturer to see if it's supported ;)

You can always simulate it with ASIO4ALL ! Google it and you'll see !

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

don't rule out the stand alone recorders. The BOSS BR600 is a nice one and will run on batteries and has built in mics so you can use it as a cheap gig recorder. Not nearly as powerful as some of the computer driven software solutions but cheap and easy to get stated on.

8. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

All I want to do is record my guitar sounds from my amp into my computer.

Is there a good go-between that will record a riff I play, then can plug and upload into the computer?

EDIT: A built in mixer in the software and the ability to make drum tracks would be much appreciated.

9. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I'd get some sort of USB interface and a mic like an SM57.

10. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=15046.msg222191#msg222191 date=1226360717]
    I'd get some sort of USB interface and a mic like an SM57.
    [/quote]

And with that (excuse my relative newbie-ness), I could plug the mic right into the computer?

11. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=74 Jailbreak link=topic=15046.msg222195#msg222195 date=1226363979]
    And with that (excuse my relative newbie-ness), I could plug the mic right into the computer?
    [/quote]

Sorta, basically it'd go mic>interface (basically a preamp that converts the analogue signal to digital)>into computer via USB cable. Most of them come with some sort of free software like Cubase as well.

12. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

13. Zeppelin Rules

The only thing with that is since its a recorder 1) you probably won't get as good quality as with a direct to computer program and 2) you've gotta record, then transfer the tracks onto your computer, and then into the editing program. Its just a bit of a hassle.

14. Zeppelin Rules

15. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=74 Jailbreak link=topic=15046.msg222350#msg222350 date=1226528701]
    Quick idea...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-MICRO-BR-Digital-Recorder?sku=241152

I was talking to the guys at the shop, and they recommeded this. I want to put the recordings on to the computer, then mess around with them on a mixing program. This would work?
    [/quote]
    Not sure, but it might work. These low end digital recorders tend to have their own recording bottle neck in terms of the quality of the file they generate when recording.

I agree with Zepp especially if you have a half decent PC (and you don't mind being tied to your pc while recording) then get a recording interface and record directly to the PC. If you need to record apart from your PC, then you might need a portable recorder. But going with a PC recording interface is usually cheaper for the same or better recording performance/quality.

Music with PC's these days is an excellent way to go, especially if you already have a laptop/PC. I have a firewire Firepod, it only has several inputs, but I've never maxed it out as so far I only use one input at a time.

Do you have a microphone? Mic Preamp? An available PC/laptop for music recording?