Um...I'm getting a 2015 Special

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by WDeranged, Jan 21, 2015.

1. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

I'll be installing a covered SD Jazz/JB combo tomorrow, looking forward to hearing (and seeing) them in this guitar :naughty:

Also, vanilla Coke tastes like my Special smells...win!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. Kellysuy42

Kellysuy42 New Member

Congrats and enjoy it :smile:

3. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Got the new pups in and they sound great, I'll have to see if the butterscotch+chrome thing grows on me, I'm kinda tempted to go with black plastic now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thatbastarddon and koaguilds like this.
  4. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

^^^ A beauty for sure!!! Are you staying sans pickguard?

5. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

I kinda want to put a small pickguard on her but I dunno...everything I've done so far can be reversed :hmm:

6. dampsneaker

dampsneaker Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking SG. I agree about the black plastics and personally would leave it sans PG too as it looks so good nekid. Good to see some happiness with a '15.

7. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

I'm a batwing guy. But there's no way I could cover up that nice sunburst with one! :smile:

8. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

A very nice looking SG Special, especially the sunburst where you can see the wood grain...but your guitar needs a pickguard...hmmmmm...maybe not.:smile:

;>)/

9. marcusk

marcusk New Member

Hi - in regard of the height of the tailpiece (post #47) - I just bought a 2015 Special and it is exactly the same (see pic below), as were all the others, as is (pretty much) their official photo. I have the same OR15 head as you and it sings lovely, plays amazing and the sustain is stunning. Apparently (from what it says in the t'internet' ) that's how they (Gibson) think they should be set-up. I feel that I could do with a shade lower action tbh but it plays and sounds so good I'm very reluctant to change it... SG-tailpiece.jpg

10. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Thanks for the info, congrats on the lovely geetar. I was really tempted to go with red, it's the iconic SG colour...I still kinda want it :shock:

11. marcusk

marcusk New Member

Cheers... it does look stunning in red although tempted to change the butterscotch plastics to a brushed metal look to match the bridge. Hmmm. Plays awesome though; think we are bonding... :)

12. dampsneaker

dampsneaker Well-Known Member

Nice entrance with the sweet photo there marcusk. You must have studied up on your ETSG lore. :thumb:

13. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Very nice, man!

I liked the color.

If you don't mind, post more pics of that tele in the other guitars section! Looks sweet too

14. marcusk

marcusk New Member

Hey... just a few more piccies of my gorgeous SG... :)
    Sg01.jpg Sg02.jpg Sg03.jpg Sg04.jpg Sg05.jpg

Attached Files:

Bettyboo and WDeranged like this.
  15. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Beautiful red devil :dude:

16. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Y'know, those covered pups would look pretty sweet if they were dull like the bridge and tailpiece...

17. nautical_sausage

nautical_sausage Member

Satin bruh...better sounding adjective haha.

18. WDeranged

WDeranged Active Member

Still enjoying this guitar. The fretwork is without a doubt the nicest I've used and they really are tough, no visible wear worth mentioning after a month of heavy playing. The lower frets feel good to me, a tiny bit of finger contact with the (very smooth) fretboard seems to help me control my bends. The Zero Fret Nut absolutely gives clarity to open notes and I like it very much but there are clear signs of wear, Gibson are sending me a free spare which I expect I'll need in a year or two.

To my ears the updated PCB is an improvement but I still felt limited, quality guts and 50's wiring gave me the tonal options I was missing. The 61 Zebra pups are really good, a really nice sound from each pup and good balance between them but (as usual) I found the neck to be a bit bass heavy, I'm keeping these as a backup set and selling my 490's. The Duncan Jazz has given me a neck sound I can really use but while the JB is a great (great!) pup for heavy stuff I think the clean sound may be too boring, might replace it with a 57.

The Tronical system really is cool, I'm not entirely happy with the servo sound or the manual tuning feel but the convenience of tuning up within seconds can't be denied, you really do just pick up the guitar and start playing. My G string tuner really doesn't sound healthy compared to the others, Gibson would probably replace it but I can't be bothered shipping the guitar hundreds of miles for something I can do myself, I'll keep my eyes on ebay or perhaps just order one direct from Tronical.

The wider fretboard is something I'm still getting my head around. In practice I don't even think about it, especially not when soloing, it's just lovely wide open spaces to play in. There is a tiny perceptible difference in barre chords and thumb wrapping, I've got long fingers so it's not a matter of reach, just that I'll need more time for my auto pilot to adjust. I also suspect something about the neck is making bends a little bit easier, whether it's the extra width or the slimmer profile compared to my Faded I couldn't say for sure.

Nit pickingly, the only thing that bugs me is a barely perceptible thumb sized dip in the finish on the back of the neck, I never feel it when I'm playing but I know it's there :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Bettyboo likes this.
  19. Jonas Kjellgren

Jonas Kjellgren New Member

Have a great weekend with your new guitar!

20. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

So...

What's happening with the ZERO FRET NUT issue.

I noticed your posts over at the Gibson forum site.

Has Gibson solved the problem?

Based on everything I've read,

I would want the guitar replaced with the same model unit only without the G-force and with a standard nut, or a refund.

I'm sure you paid good money for what you have and its truely not right that you are ending up being the BETA-TESTERS for their new technology.

I've seen NOS 2013's on the wall at the local GC so they have the stock.

I would grab one before they're gone.

Don't get stuck with a wide neck Gibson with standard tuners and the ugly nut piece.

Unless they refund you about $1K.