Um ok here is a question...

Discussion in 'Effects' started by gwydion, May 5, 2005.

1. gwydion

gwydion Member

Ok this may seem like a newbie question but here is my dilemma. The Classic 50 I have doesn't have an effects loop so what do I do about pedals? I've always understood that you want your distortion/overdrive first in the chain... Is that really true or does it depend on the type of effects you are using?

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I'm not an expert on it, but I have amps with and without effects loops. I normally run the guit to what ever series of pedals I may be using. (Old Fashion I guess....) and then directly into the amp. I have found that certain combinations will effect the effects based on how and where they are in the string. This is just my experience with it......... 8)

3. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Between guitar and amp:
    compressors
    wah pedals
    phase shifters
    distortion/overdrive pedals

In amplifier effects loop:
    chorus/flangers
    delays

That's what works for me.

or:

Run the amp clean and put everything in front of it.

4. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Here's an interesting thing I've used on a couple of gigs with good results......one amp distorted and the other clean w/ all the effects through...with proper blend up loud it worked like a dream! See if it works for you?

5. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Personally, I prefer distortion pedal always between guitar and tone shaping things... be it the amps tone controls, or other pedals.

Done the other way seems like you adjust the distortion, then if you vary the tone, you readjust the distortion, revary the tone... chase yourself silly

Distortion first, then you mod the tone all you like seems more straight forward to deal with... but what do I know

6. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

...one amp distorted and the other clean with all the effects through...with proper blend up loud it worked like a dream! See if it works for you?

Works for me too, Vox. My Ampeg V4 does all the cleans (with some help from the Delay and Flanger) and the Pro Junior does all the distortion. Like this:

SG Classic + Vox 847 > Morley ABY > [Channel A] Tuner + Flanger + Delay > AMPEG [Channel B] Distortion > Pro JR.

This is just for practice and the home studio, but I'd gig like this too -- just mike the Jr. and that's that. I'm not a wall of distorted noise kind of guy. In fact, I love the sound these amps get when both channels are going at once so that there's nice, tight low end and just a little crinkle of distortion in the mids and way up top.

7. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

That's been one live experiment that worked out perfectly....balanced right the sonic yield is stellar!

8. gwydion

gwydion Member

hmm.. so you run a line out from one amp into another?
    Is that how it works?

9. gwydion

gwydion Member

Thanks for all the input guys... Right now it really doesn't matter much as I just have a VOX wah first in the chain, and that works well with being before the distortion. As my pedal collection grows I will have to expirement a bit to see what sounds good to me...

Thanks again for the input!!!

You all rock