Upcoming SG Melody Maker with one humbucker

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ben_easher, Mar 23, 2011.

1. zulu

zulu Member

I want one :Droolin: it's different isn't it. If they were all the same then where's room for character ? Will it be a widespread thing or just a few made ?

2. ben_easher

ben_easher Member

Music Zoo confirms that their spec sheet lists a maple body. Weight is 6.5 to 7 pounds: thin body? Supposedly 1500 will be made. Only Music Zoo has them so far.

3. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

[quote author=bensinister link=topic=21497.msg258484#msg258484 date=1302378819]
    Music Zoo confirms that their spec sheet lists a maple body. Weight is 6.5 to 7 pounds. The series is one pickup only, so maybe Gibson routed out the entire area under the pickguard. Supposedly 1500 will be made. Only Music Zoo has them so far. Amazon says 2 to 6 months. Gibson hasn't updated their website.
    [/quote]

Ahhh. I was wondering what was up with Amazon's specs:

Product Dimensions: 17 x 7 x 44 inches ; 18 pounds
    Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

6.5 to 7 pounds makes more sense than 18 pounds under dimensions and and 1 pound under shipping weight :D

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I like the old Melody Maker... having one that looks like an SG makes it even more interesting.
    ...but of course, I have enough guitars now. *grins

5. ben_easher

ben_easher Member

Here they are at Musikmesse 2011 with the rest of the series.

[​IMG]

6. Witch hat

Witch hat New Member

Eww the blue one D: definitely not my taste of colour :).
    The black one looks okay for me :D! Or I'd like to see a pelham blue.

7. ben_easher

ben_easher Member

8. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

yep, the cool lower cost Gibsons just keep rolling out this year don't they! I think we need to finally acknoledge the top brass at Gibson is listening to players now. More low cost choices is a great thing for the consumer. O0

9. ben_easher

ben_easher Member

Guitar Center will have them soon. Description (no word on how the 491T differs from the 500T):

A genuine humbucker-powered Gibson USA SG at a price that's too good to pass up.

The SG Melody Maker is one [of] the Limited Run Series as Gibson USA re-introduces the Melody Maker as the budget-friendly entree to Gibson solidbody electrics. The Melody Maker was introduced by Gibson 1959 as their budget solidbody model. It had a single-cutaway Les Paul Junior shape with a thinner body and distinctive, narrower Melody Maker headstock. The one single-coil pickup was controlled by one volume knob—sound familiar? In later years, a double-cutaway and then an SG-shaped Melody Maker were released.

The new Melody Maker is available in four iconic body shapes: Les Paul and SG, and now for the first time for the Melody Maker: Flying V, and Explorer. The Melody Maker is now powered by a 491T ceramic-magnet humbucker to produce the punch and roar that modern guitar players demand. The maple body comes in a choice of grain-textured satin finishes while the set-in, 1-piece mahogany neck has the slim Melody Maker profile. The wrapround tailpiece, with its tight and solid design, offers the sustain and resonance that many rockers seek. The Gibson USA Melody Maker comes with deluxe gig bag.

10. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

11. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

they all seem like quasi versions of their respective models. an sg jr is as stripped down as i want to go, even at that i couldn't get along with mine, but these are just not good imo... i've seen enough, i'll pass this time 'round.

12. oldrockfan

you got to remember not everyone can drop $800 or more on a new gibson. For folks on a tight budget, melody makers give a lower cost option. Gibson offers plenty of higher priced guitars but i commend them for at least offering some lower price point instruments that are still made in the USA.

13. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I like the blue!

On the subject of low-priced Gibsons, it seems as though there's a limited edition LP Traditional with a faded finish available in Canada. They only come in faded honeyburst, but for $1525 brand new I'm seriously fiending. There's one I've played a couple of times now, and it's nice and heavy and has a nice chunky neck. I don't think it's solid, but it's only weight relieved as opposed to the chambered Standards.

14. LOTF

LOTF Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=21497.msg258610#msg258610 date=1302581697]
    you got to remember not everyone can drop $800 or more on a new gibson. For folks on a tight budget, melody makers give a lower cost option. Gibson offers plenty of higher priced guitars but i commend them for at least offering some lower price point instruments that are still made in the USA.
    [/quote]

Depends on the quality. "Made in the USA" is all very fine and well but the Fadeds make me a bit leery about Gibson's lower price point instruments. I am fortunate in owning 2 beautiful American-made SGs but I really think I'd prefer an Epi Prophecy or even G-400 -- Korean or Chinese manufacture notwithstanding -- to the Faded's I've test driven if I needed to replace my babies for <$600 (which is all I could afford right now).

15. Jonny Rocker

Jonny Rocker Active Member

I like the Faded Vs alot and my new SG 60's tribute is really nice as well. They play and sound just as good as the glossy versions, which I also own.

16. oldrockfan

I guess you happened to find some dogs on the faded ones you looked at because they sure are not all that way. My faded special SG with the ebony fretboard is built perfectly and actually has a very nice finish now that it has several years of natural buffing from playing it. I don't have a single bad thing to say about it actually and the fact I bought it used for about $400 makes it even sweeter ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    you can see the wood doesn't match perfectly but it plays great so I don't care about wood grain matching

17. Jonny Rocker

Jonny Rocker Active Member

Oh, I've definitely seen some that I would pass on. Some of the SG bevels looked really rough and unsanded on a number of them. Then some have 3-4 piece bodies which is no big deal sound wise, but they should be covered with a solid finish color IMHO.

The Faded V's and regular Vs are always 3-pieces and all them have the same seams-the body center piece and two wings.

18. ben_easher

ben_easher Member

The official description is now on Gibson's website. The 491T is based on the PAF, but ceramic.

19. LOTF

LOTF Member

I basically have 3 objections to the Faded SGs. First, the finish. Gibson's satin finish just doesn't do it for me. Wood grain issues don't really bother me but the thought that some of the wood grain might end up inside the skin of my hand does. The Fadeds I've tried all felt really rough and building up a "natural finish" through years of buffing from playing won't do it. I'd have to play it in the first place and would avoid doing so because of the finish and my other issues with Fadeds.

Second, the neck. I realize I may well be in the minority here but I personally detest the '50s-profile, "baseball bat" neck; a big reason I opted for a '61 RI over a Standard. I understand the '60s Tribute does have the slim-taper neck which is a big plus for it in my book.

Finally, the pickups. The 490s in the Fadeds sound lame and muddy to me. I'd definitely have to replace them with at least Duncans. I'd also have to do this with a G-400 but the money I'd save would pay for the replacement pups and I'd also be getting a gloss finish and, if I got the '66 G-400, the slim-taper neck as well. As a side note, the 491 sounds like a 490 with ceramic magnets to me and the very idea of such a thing is revolting to me.

I'm sure plenty of folks love their Fadeds (and yours does look sweet, ORF) but they just aren't for me

20. TNT

TNT Active Member

[quote author=ben_easher link=topic=21497.msg258563#msg258563 date=1302498214]
    Here they are at Musikmesse 2011 with the rest of the series.

[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    Looks more like a SG-X with MM neck. Anyhoo is that a L6S available now? :coolsmiley: