Upgrade SG Spc headstock veneer?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by bblooz, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't touch the headstock logo/veneer. To my eyes modified headstock transfers the guitar immediately to the category of Chibsons. A definete NO GO for me. No matter how well it is made, but the originality is lost. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    cerebral gasket, Biddlin and syscokid like this.
  2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: That’s funny. Because if you do it right you’d never be able to tell.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

SG Specials traditionally do NOT have crown inlays on the headstock. The logo was an inlay on the early models, but they never had crown inlays which are typically found on SG Standards.

There’s so many mutated SG out in the wild I guess one more is not going to matter if you decide to do it.

SG Specials are my favorite and the lack of bling and ornamentations is why I favor these models.

Col Mustard likes this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yes and so many mutilated as well. It really gets my goat when some miscreant finds humor in encouraging someone to screw up their guitar.

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If I were to ever see an SG pictured above with a crown inlay, it would immediately be suspected as fake no matter how well it was done. Whether the crown inlay was placed at the same location as an SG '61 Reissue or a modern SG Standard it doesn't matter. Crown inlays were never issued on these models and don't belong there.

Col Mustard likes this.
  6. SGCopies4ever

SGCopies4ever New Member

Honestly, guys? 2 pages of useless bickering?

@bblooz, instead of a whole veneer and inlay job, I'd recommend you just get some inlay stickers. You'll achieve your desired look without permanent changes and if by some chance you'd decide you didn't like the look or want to sell this guitar and get a Standard, you'll be in a lot better position.

7. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Tons of incredibly valuable video tutorials can easily be found to help the OP do this. Stewmac.com is a good place to start.

The OP’s guitar isn’t a vintage or reissue p90 special.

“Decorative” inlay is only as scary and impossible as you want it to be. I really dislike spraying finish and even though, in my heart of hearts, I am a miscreant that wants to see you fail....and destroy your guitar. (it always brings me such joy). I have still found Head stocks to be pretty easy to deal with from that side of the job.

You’re lucky to have guys like biddlin here. With his magical powers of complete and absolute knowing he, and His minions continually spot and point out the wicked intentions in the posts made by evil lurkers and defilers like myself.

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

9. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

By modifying an extremely well made and playable counterfeit Gibson that so that the fake logo would be permanently removed and then making some piece of art own headstock ornament - that I would say to be a good modification to the headstock.

10. bblooz

bblooz Member

True - it seems like an exercise in futility, so I'm going to just leave it as-is and play the heck out of it!

11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

good answer! The guitar you bought is an excellent design.
    It will give great service and make excellent music for your
    entire life if you treat it with respect and treasure it like the
    fine instrument it is.