Upgraded Tony Iommi Ltd Ed SG

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by WytchCrypt, Mar 31, 2020.

1. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

While I love my new Epi Iommi Ltd Ed SG, there were definitely a few things I wanted to upgrade.

The main thing I didn't like about it were the tuners. They didn't seem very high quality to me and with downtuning to C# with super light strings I wanted something that felt more stable. I replaced them with Gotoh black locking tuners. As a rule, I always replace any Epi tune-o-matic bridge with a roller bridge. In this case I thought it would be cool to also go black and swap out the tailpiece for a black one as well. Unfortunately, the threaded bolts for the tailpiece didn't match up with the stock bridge posts so I had to make a choice. Either remove the bridge posts and replace the whole assembly with the new black ones (something I REALLY didn't want to do) or use the chrome threaded bolts with the black tailpiece. I gave that a try and decided I really liked the looks of it...that bit of chrome balances well with the Epiphone at the top of the headstock. It's sort of like a cross between the original Epi Iommi Signature G-400 and the new one. Anyway, first a picture of the stock model then some shots of the new look ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jason

Jason Member

I've got those same tuners in chrome on my SG. They work pretty well I must say.
    Nice guitar you got there. Ignore papagayo in the other thread. He just loves talking **** about epiphones for some reason.

Worblehat, Biddlin and WytchCrypt like this.
  3. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Cool. This is the first time I went with Gotoh locking tuners...liked the specs, price and positive reviews. Very happy with them, solidly built especially compared to the stock tuners which felt very light and loose. As far as papagayo in the other thread, I thought it amusing he had to quote his own replies to make his Gibson > Epi point as no one was taking the bait...that's ok, some people have to see that "Gibson" on the headstock. Personally I've always bought Epi, upgraded any parts I found lacking, done my own setup and had a great guitar for less than 1/3 the cost of the Gibson version ;)

4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Roller bridge? On a hard tail??

Every roller bridge I’ve ever used has been rattle prone and a tone sucker. But it looks cool in black with the contrasting saddles.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yes, he's a master baiter.....
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    I have not had that experience, but if you do a lot of finger bends, they do seem to diminish the effect making what would be a full step bend require a little more travel.
    I use them on maestro/bigsby setups, but not hardtails.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Demon Dave and WytchCrypt like this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Good advice. He needs a life more than those pickups need a Gibson.

WytchCrypt and Demon Dave like this.
  7. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

yap, thats what a friend (luthier)
    has told me too...

personally i more prefer the chrome/nickel look
    on the guitar, but thats personal preference

8. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Nice upgrade!
    Are these Grover tuners a drop-in replacement? I changed the tuners on my Iommi SG, too because I wanted to relieve weight from the headstock. I picked the super lightweit Gotoh Stealth Tuners. I needed to drill extra holes and get conversion bushings as their diameter was different. To be honest, apart from the weight, I am not that happy with them and I consider trying other tuners. But I guess the ones you chose are in the same ballpark as the original ones regarding weight.

Another Upgrade I did was to switch the nut to a TUSQ nut. These were the best 10€ I ever spent. Improved the intonation on the lower frets.

9. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Thanks! I'm really happy with the changes. Don't know about Grover tuners but the Gotoh tuners I bought were a direct replacement, no drilling or any other modification necessary. I know there's a big concern about SG neck dive, and these Gotoh's are much heavier than the originals but I play sitting down and it still feels comfortable. Here's a link to the ones I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gotoh-SG381-04-MGT-Locking-Tuning-Keys-w-Keystone-Buttons-Set-3x3-BLACK/292047855455?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Never changed a nut before but I'll keep this in mind if I notice intonation problems on the low frets ;)

10. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Ah...sorry. I actually meant Gotoh, not Grovers. 70$ is a good price for locking tuners if they really work well. But yes...I think those might be too heavy for my taste. I always play standing up. Maybe I try the Gibson Grover PMMH-015 (~55€) some day. I have the stock locking Grover rotomatics on my Gibson SG and they are great (but of course relatively heavy, too).

It was my first time doing it, but it went pretty well. You just need to sand the bottom and sides to make them the right size. And even if something goes wrong...10-15€ is not a huge investment :)

11. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Cool...thanks for the info :thumb:

12. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I don't like the tuners on my epi Toni either but haven't changed them out yet otherwise had my local luther set it up and love it

WytchCrypt likes this.
  13. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Cool. The Gotoh locking tuners I put on where a perfect replacement...no drilling or mods necessary...took me 10 minutes to do myself. I know many SG owners are concerned about neck dive and I'm pretty sure these Gotoh's are much heavier than the stock tuners so that could be a problem (though not for me, I play sitting). I live out in rural western WA and don't even know of a luthier within 100 miles so I've had to learn to do my own setups. It's fun when you get the hang of it, though I'll admit the only thing I've never done - and am scared to even try - is adjust the truss rod...I'm afraid I'll ruin the neck or something :ohno:

Demon Dave likes this.
  14. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

In my experience you seldom need to but if you do there's plenty of info online. Just take it in very small steps and have some patience, there's really nothing to it. (if there was a high risk of ruining your guitar they would hardly supply a tool for it with every purchase...)

15. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it wasn't an often necessary adjustment. Though I honestly don't know what neck issues would warrant the adjustment. You're right though, I just found many youtube vids so I'll check a couple out. And as you said, if Epi sends a truss bar tool with every guitar it can't be that easy to ruin your neck :fingersx:

16. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I got a thing with black guitars and crome but i think this do look cool and not like everybody Else with this uppgrade.

WytchCrypt likes this.
  17. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

I think neck dive is a non-issue on the Iommi sig, since the strap button is on the top horn. I’ve certainly never noticed any neck dive on my iommis, different story on my Gibson special faded, but still solved by a wide leather strap with a raw lining...

18. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Member

Really interesting thread, you’d start an itch for this guitar that I was searching time ago

WytchCrypt likes this.
  19. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

:h5:

The last time I thought about an Iommi signature model was back around 2005 when Gibson & Epiphone released their first ones. At the time I wouldn't pay the $5000+ (I think the original retail was $5000) for the Gibson Custom Shop model and I really didn't like the smaller cross inlays on the Epi - not to mention they were only on frets 3-5-7-9-12, so decided to pass on both. Then about a month ago I read about the new Gibson Red Monkey Iommi Ltd Ed (25 left & 25 right). Since there was no way I was going to pay $20,000 (unless the guitar included round trip airfare to Birmingham and a week hanging out with Tony), I decided to have another look at the Epi. I had no idea they'd redesigned it for a new limited edition run in 2015! With the full size cross inlays all the way up the neck, the signature Gibson Iommi pickups & a certificate of authenticity signed by the man himself, there was no way I was going to miss out on this one :dude:

Grizzlyman likes this.
  20. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Member

One day in 2017, I decided to buy one of the new run, but I was told it was a limited edition went Sold out. That time I’ve decided to buy an used SG standard from Gibson, wich is a really good guitar. But that cross inlays mean so much for me/us

Grizzlyman and WytchCrypt like this.