USB interface instead of portastudio?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by madguitarsolo, Apr 17, 2008.

1. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

I have a tascam 2488 mkII, but I want to make my recording setup computer based so I looked into a USB interface. I found a very nice one by M-Audio
    http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/FastTrackUltra8R-main.html

I just have a question for anyone who is familiar with this unit or just in general. If you look at the image of the back there is 8 XLR inputs and 8 Line outputs. Now say I was recording a live band does that mean I can record with 8 inputs and then go from the outputs to the band's mixer so they can get their own levels on the PA without having to use loads of splitter cables?

2. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

yes. but i dont think thoes are XLR inputs i think they are the XLR/TRS jacks that can accept either 1/4 or XLR but there may be a lag within the computer going from
    mixer in -> computer -> mixer out -> to other mixer

3. cjlinus

cjlinus Member

Yes you can use the line outs to send the signal to the house mixer. Just curious though, whay don't you use the 2488 to record and then transfer the wave files to your computer for production? The 2488 is a pretty good piece of equipment, you should be getting nice base tracks that you can mix and master in a computer based studio.

4. madguitarsolo

[quote author=cjlinus link=topic=16734.msg212643#msg212643 date=1212206340]
    Yes you can use the line outs to send the signal to the house mixer. Just curious though, whay don't you use the 2488 to record and then transfer the wave files to your computer for production? The 2488 is a pretty good piece of equipment, you should be getting nice base tracks that you can mix and master in a computer based studio.
    [/quote]

Yes that's what I do at the minute, but I want to be able to expand as my skills grow. The 2488 is excellent imo, but with a rack interface I could add another to the setup for recording larger ensembles or live recording with 8 drum mics, guitars, bass, vocals and backing vocals. It takes some time to transfer files aswell, about 10 minutes for a single 5 minute track. When you've recorded 12 tracks or so it gets very time consuming.

Nothing bad to say about the tascam though, I have a song I recently recorded on it here www.myspace.com/mgsrock , check it out, it's very good recording quality.

5. cjlinus

cjlinus Member

madguitar,

Listening as I write, pretty good stuff! I think I understand what your after. I use a Presonus Firepod because it makes it possible for me to expand just by connecting another firewire device. I have been reading in Recording Magazine that USB 2.0 devices are almost as good as the firewire stuff for moving audio but they are more user friendly for PC owners. Have you looked at the ART tubefire, Presonus Firestudio, or even the TC Electronics Studio Connect?

The main reason I like the firewire stuff is that it allows more tracks to be moved each way. I have recorded and monitored 8 tracks simultaneously, you may not be able to do that with USB. BTW all of the devices I mentioned have line outs so you can record a band live and still send the signal to the house mixer.

6. madguitarsolo

Thanks cjlinus, I will look into it. The only problem with that is that for a while I will only have a laptop, which only has 3 USB slots. It does have a spare place for a card so I might be able to get a firewire one from somewhere. I have seen better interfaces for firewire than USB too, so it might be best gettin firewire added to my laptop - which I know isn't really ideal. Then again I might end up sticking with the 2488. I'll find out when it comes to crunch time ;D