Value of a refinished vintage SG?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Horax, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Horax

Horax Active Member

I have a 1966 SG jr refinished that I’m curious as to the value.

pickup and caps are original. Pots are not. New tuners, truss rod cover...everything else is good. Neck was reset before I had it but it’s solidly done. Original trem was gone, so a bigsby was added. Refinish was a pro job in nitro Pelham blue.

have pix of original and unfinished states. Also have pix of serial number.

thoughts?

F8AA743E-C876-44D0-B96E-A1E37173D8A6.jpeg EA992B54-84D5-44DB-A0E0-27E0AF36EC93.jpeg C19D7381-D1AE-4175-AC39-A1B545268184.jpeg C84A2D1D-DE73-4A84-B759-8B12E35F5255.jpeg C0BD1B38-1EDA-431F-A378-DF29A493FB0F.jpeg

SG John and AngelDeVille like this.
  2. Horax

Horax Active Member

Rosewood fretboard is a slab board as well. Has original mother of pearl dot inlays.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

While an original in just "good" condition might fetch $3000 or more. I would offer about $1500 for yours, if it's a solid player. Modded and gutted Jr's are kind of a glut on the market here on the left coast.

4. Horax

Horax Active Member

thanks. I'm in CO and we don't see hardly anything vintage out here. I DO appreciate the insight, though. :)

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Even A professional grade refin drops the value.... maybe not 50% anymore but pretty close.

This doesn't look like a great refin, kind of a nice refin, but not a great one???

6. RW59

RW59 Member

You've referred to slab boards before. What other type of fretboard has Gibson ever used?

In the Fender world there are slabs and round laminate/veneer boards. But as far as I know, Fender and Tokai (on some of their Fender copies) are the only companies to use anything other than slab boards. Also AFAIK, Gibson and every other manufacturer have always used slab boards.
    -------------------
    Sorry, no idea on valuation. But that's a beautiful guitar.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. Brooklyn Zeke

Brooklyn Zeke New Member

Refinishing any guitar will reduce its value, especially if it's a collectible, vintage, or in-demand. My 1970 SG Standard needed a neck reset. I sent it to Gibson Nashville for that, and I inquired as to what a complete refinish would cost. I was told, by Gibson, that since the guitar is considered vintage, refinishing would greatly affect its resale value. I consequently did not have the refinish done. Many players shell out big bucks for 'factory aged" models. Those guitars haven't earned their dings, gouges, worn spots, and scratches. Mine, however, has. It is perfectly set-up and exquisitely playable. It also sounds killer.

8. jk67SG

jk67SG Member

In about 1967 I played in a band and one of the guys had a Gold Top Les Paul. He came to practice one day and he'd painted the body metalic blue with automotive touch up spray paint, and it wasn't even a good paint job. Back then no one had any idea how much those guitars would appreciate, but even then I asked myself why would anyone even do that???