Value of SG with a headstock crack?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Jovima69, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Jovima69

Jovima69 New Member

Hey everyone!

I came across a 2005 SG with what appears to be a stable headstock crack. . The guitar seems to be stock, and in good condition minus the crack. I know that a guitar is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, but what would be a realistic price to offer/pay for this guitar? Thanks for any feedback!

00I0I_i2SsX2mwqTr_1320MM_600x450.jpg

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Classic, Standard, Special?
    I might pay $450 for a Classic or Special, maybe $500 for a Standard.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  3. Jovima69

Jovima69 New Member

THANKS for the reply Biddlin! It is a Standard.

Biddlin likes this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

If the rest is good, I think you'd be OK. Has it been glued? If not you could inject some wood glue and clamp it overnight for extra strength.

5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

is the front veneer affected? it looks slightly so in the picture

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

How could you see that? There is only the back pic posted.

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

look by the tuner

8. Jovima69

Jovima69 New Member

I ended up passing on it without seeing it in person. I did not want to spend coin or trade good for potentially bad. I'll keep looking for a Standard.

9. laza616

laza616 Member

As its Standard back SG and has only this small crack i would take it for 500 EUR without hesitation. Any luthier that make custom guitars or services/repairs would fix it for 50 EUR and it would be as brand new, maybe stronger than before. Its only a crack, not a piece of wood is chipped or whole head broken. Its not that big deal. Remember that the headstock is originally glued 2 or 3 pieces of wood :)

Jezclayton and hhog like this.
  10. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Once repaired it will serve you for years.

Jezclayton likes this.
  11. brashboy

brashboy New Member

I would think that a well-repaired headstock crack on a Gibson would not hurt resale very much. I mean, such cracks are VERY common on Gibby's. And as pointed out, if the repair is solid, it can be more stable and safe than a non-broken one.

Jezclayton likes this.
  12. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

The value of any guitar which is to be played is down to the user and is at a personal level likely linked to that which is their favourite instrument to play and brings out the best of their abilities. Value is subjective, especially for those who know that all SGs are NOT the same.

I think people make far too big a deal over a headstock crack, which, as you say, if repaired properly is as good if not stonger than new. A crack repair is not even difficult and can be accomplished by any competent DIY'er with reference to the numerous YouTube videos available. An invisible repair is harder since that involves restoring the finish and is probably best left to a professional but isn't expensive.

For those SGs that are actually played regularly, which are of course the best ones in someone's eyes at least, I think you will find very few early models that haven't suffered a crack at some point in the past and they continue to serve the likes of Angus Young well. I am willing to bet that there are many out there with good repairs to both the wood and finish that the average person on this forum couldn't even detect.

Would you throw away your arm just because you broke your wrist at some point in the past?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020