valve juinor.........louder?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by the bacon, Aug 1, 2006.

1. alexrules43

alexrules43 Member

2. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I'm modding a Epiphone Galaxy 10 amp and it should be pretty killer when I'm done.

Get them used for about $75.00 and add about $55.00 in parts including a Hammond 125ESE OT, Sozo caps and a couple of resistors and you have a credible 10 watt combo.
    The Valve Junior combo only has an 8" speaker and is 5 watts EL84 single ended and a volume knob.
    the Galaxy 10 has a 10" Celestion speaker (Tube 10) and is 10 watts 6L6 single ended with gain, volume, treble, middle, bass.

Both have retro style cabinets but the Galaxy 10 has the tone stack and gain already there. Once the tiny OT is swapped out and the tone caps replaced and the resisror values changed to get rid of the fizz....killer little amp and easy to transport.

My Valve Junior heead and 2 x 12" cab is a bit difficult to lug around.

3. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=9645.msg129791#msg129791 date=1156620194]
    I'm modding a Epiphone Galaxy 10 amp and it should be pretty killer when I'm done.

Get them used for about $75.00 and add about $55.00 in parts including a Hammond 125ESE OT, Sozo caps and a couple of resistors and you have a credible 10 watt combo.
    The Valve Junior combo only has an 8" speaker and is 5 watts EL84 single ended and a volume knob.
    the Galaxy 10 has a 10" Celestion speaker (Tube 10) and is 10 watts 6L6 single ended with gain, volume, treble, middle, bass.

Both have retro style cabinets but the Galaxy 10 has the tone stack and gain already there. Once the tiny OT is swapped out and the tone caps replaced and the resisror values changed to get rid of the fizz....killer little amp and easy to transport.

[/quote]

That actually sounds better than the valve junior! Got a schematic?

And good luck Spunk!! ;)

4. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=acdcrocker link=topic=9645.msg129797#msg129797 date=1156623195]
    [quote author=Spunky link=topic=9645.msg129791#msg129791 date=1156620194]

[/quote]

That actually sounds better than the valve junior! Got a schematic?

And good luck Spunk!! ;)
    [/quote]

if they still made those id look into them.

5. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Schemo.......

[​IMG]

6. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Here are a couple...I believe these sold new for $229.00
    Vic...correct me if I'm wrong as I know you bought 2 of these......I think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Amplif...yZ121154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    ends in 3 hours $41.00 now

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Galaxi...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    $81.00 now

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Galaxi...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    BIN is $149.00

BIN is $120.00

I'll have complete mod instructions soon.
    The Valve Junior head has been thoroughly investigated and you can buy 3 different mod level kits from S2 amps and there is a dude on ebait selling his BitMo mod kits for it too.
    So the only unchartered territory out there is the Galaxy 10. There is a gut that modded for more clean headroom but i'm going in the opposite direction and want nice crunchy distortion all the way to 11. I'll write the mod book on that one...he he he
    Parts will be here soon so a sonic nirvana party is set for this weekend...Only 440 volts on the 6L6....LOL :o

7. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

that first one went for $56!!

one o those galaxys might be right up my alley spunk, so i'll be at that party...chicken suit and all!!

8. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=9645.msg130033#msg130033 date=1156803763]
    Here are a couple...I believe these sold new for $229.00
    Vic...correct me if I'm wrong as I know you bought 2 of these......I think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Amplif...yZ121154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    ends in 3 hours $41.00 now

$81.00 now

BIN is $149.00

BIN is $120.00

I'll have complete mod instructions soon.
    The Valve Junior head has been thoroughly investigated and you can buy 3 different mod level kits from S2 amps and there is a dude on ebait selling his BitMo mod kits for it too.
    So the only unchartered territory out there is the Galaxy 10. There is a gut that modded for more clean headroom but i'm going in the opposite direction and want nice crunchy distortion all the way to 11. I'll write the mod book on that one...he he he
    Parts will be here soon so a sonic nirvana party is set for this weekend...Only 440 volts on the 6L6....LOL :o
    [/quote]

cool! does it come in a head vesrion?

9. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

good question Bacon.....

10. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=skidshark link=topic=9645.msg130135#msg130135 date=1156879034]
    good question Bacon.....
    [/quote]

one of the very few good ones i ask :roll:

unless that was sarcasm :?

11. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

not sarcasm at all man,....that sounds like the way to go for us poor folk...but i'd want it in a head also.... ;) 8)

12. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

No Bacon,

This is a combo version only. It's cool because it uses a Celestion Tube 10 speaker. That's the same speaker I put in my AD30VT to tighten up the flubby bottom end. A lot of the Galaxy 10 owners went out and bought various speakers only to come back to the origional Tube 10 as it is a very nice 10" speaker.

I have a free weekend coming up...no Daddy duty and this tooth I had pulled today should be fine by then so I'll mod the heck outa mine and document the whole thing.

It's getting tough to eat now....I have like 1 matching set of molars on either side now...very hard to chew.....getting old sucks...teeth cracking and snappin and getting pulled....corn nuts and popcorn are history now. >:(

13. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

WOO! i cant wait for this one spunk...you know we love it when you do this....good fun!

14. the bacon

the bacon Member

back on the actual subject of this thread.

i think im now leaning towards the valveking again. is this a bad choice? i

15. randyrhoadslives13

randyrhoadslives13 Member

i say fender blues junior all the way. the valveking is made in china and the blues junior is made in mexico (things made is china sometimes bother people), same price, i think the blues junior sounds a lot better too. and even though its only 15 watts, it is LOUD.

16. the bacon

the bacon Member

well everybody im finally a tupe amp fanatic! i went into GC todayfor the list and i saw the VJhead for 80 bucks new! i also bought a 4x12 cab to run it through! it is freaking loud! it sounds so amazing! my pedal sound great through it! ill try to post some pics tonight. the best thing is i got a deal! the head was $80 the cab was $130!

17. the bacon

the bacon Member

18. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

What kind of 4X12 did you get ?

19. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

man....good deal!! you gonna mod it?

20. the bacon

the bacon Member

i got a britshspec 4x12.

skids i think ill wait to mod it! i like it how it is right now.