Valve-tastic!

Discussion in 'General Music' started by entropydave, Dec 17, 2006.

1. entropydave

entropydave Member

Bumped into an old mate of mine last night at a gig -not seen him for years and he sells very high end valve-driven HiFi (can I plug his URL? - Mod- remove if not appropriate!) www.aliumaudio.com
    We got talking about swapping tubes about from the standard 12AX7 and so on for others that he uses in his amps (bloody expensive too!).
    I might see if I can borrow some of these tubes and swap 'em about in my Fender BJ to see what happens.
    He hadn't thought about the application of these hi-end expensive tubes in guitar amplification so I offered to help!
    It was just funny to speak to someone who knew what an ECC 83 was!

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

His tubes are no different than the ones you can get in other places, except in price.

Audiophile snobbery makes his business work. Just like the stainless steel fastener at a "marine" store is five times the price as the hardware store.

3. entropydave

entropydave Member

Oooh that's harsh!
    He's actually worked hard at this business and funnily enough I turned him onto 'real' HiFi 25 years ago when he used to swear by Japanese stuff untill one day he came over, heard my Linn/Naim system (which I still use today) and he was converted - he stayed in his regular business (rag trade) for many years but started up this venture afew years ago.
    Don't know enough about valves to know whether that comment of yours is valid or not so I'll suspend judgement. But I DO know about HiFi and this kit does tend to sound bloody good!
    ...in fact, a quick google shows me that you're not correct and allowing for the fact that here in UK we always pay more than you have to in the States, the prices of his replacement valves are about right ie see http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_tj_tubes.htm