Very confused by guitar-copy?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Machiavel, Dec 30, 2014.

1. William A. Seward II

William A. Seward II Member

It's just - pardon me giving my two cents outta the blue, just buttin' in like this and well, hello everyone. t's a great honor to be on a forum dedicated to the best guitar in the world - what you can call, a "slight attempt on Norlin to continue the Junior series hampered by cost cutting and the whole redesigning - for the very purpose of cost cutting - mess they were into circa 1968-74"

In other words, it's an unique shot at going on with the Junior - just as they did with the Special, and also failed within months using P-90's, which back in '69-'71, were kinda becoming a "luxury item" for them (as evidenced by the fact that they solely used it, at least to my knowledge, on the special edition '68 Les Paul Goldtop reissue, and then in '74, along ith the Alnico V-types for the '74 Les Paul Custom 1954 anniversary reissue (Fretless Wonder/Black Beauty). Doesn't explain their attempts to (and also fail to) please Les Paul in his Low Impedance series (Personal, Professional, Jumbo, Recording, Signature and the brief usage of Low Impedances on the '73- early '74 L5-Ss), but by then, things were becoming smoother to Norlin, to the point that the usual PAF Humbuckers became standard again (the so called Les Paul Deluxe, using leftover mini-humbuckers from the Epiphone factories were the cheapest LPs, and they treated our beloved SGs even more poorly - along with SG-based (EB-0, 3, 6) basses making way - with a quick detour at the fantastic EB-4L basses with the cheaper EB-0L, and the even cheaper SB series hich preceded the G1-Grabber and the G3, low budget, but with Bill Lawrence (and Gene Simmons, in a way) giving them some elbow grease, then things started looking up) until they resumed using P-90's around '75-76 (when they lauched the Les Paul Pro Deluxe, and had a bit - a tiny bit of more mercy at the SG).

I bet that was all already discussed there, and once again, sorry for that - guess I'm a bit too enthusiastic about SGs and have a sore point with Norlin; but from what I could tell in the pictures, and that must've been checked thoroughly already, what am I saying - it's a true blue 100% legit SG, and judging that they last sold very poorly along ith the Melody Maker SGs by the beginning of 1971, they killed two birds with one stone (yeah, right) by renaming the Standard as Deluxe (behold the ugly volute and cost-cutting control plates stuck in the front to avoid routing), the also failed Special as Pro (with the mini humbuckers), and we all know how well that went, haha.

Also let's not forget the reshaping of SGs into unwieldy big pancakes then. Oh well, I guess people would rather shell out $225 for an SG-100 than 250 for a Junior. The rest is sad, sad history that ent correcing itself each and every year, I guess.

Congrats on that Junior. It's an amazing piece of craftsmanship soon forgotten by routing that skimpy little pickup on the neck position instead; that's one to take it to your grave, I tell ya. Amazing. :smile:

PermissionToLand likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Welcome and thanks for resurrecting this thread. The OP hasn't been seen since New Years eve, but hope springs eternal. Meanwhile, why not check-in at the Welcome Wagon and formally introduce yourself!
    ;>)/

3. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG! :smile: