Vibrato

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Karathas, Dec 9, 2015.

1. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

That's the way I've always looked at it. I'm no pro. Not a real player by any means, but I can fall in there and play along with most anybody. Improvise. I play "Simple Man" with a handful of notes and power chords. Whether I'm alone on acoustic or in the mix with a couple more guitars, nobody notices. It works. (Playing like that will get the occasional WTF look, but it doesn't seem to matter)

As far as vibrato, it's gotta be really weird for me to even hear it! I just play what I feel and comes to mind at that instant.

Kerry Brown likes this.
  2. Doodoo Meister

Doodoo Meister Member

Still working on bends, hammer ons and pull offs. Haven't gotten to vibrato yet.

3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

All sounds good to me. Ever isolated the guitar part in the mix of something famous? There's almost nothing there, and I bet you would be thinking "I could do that".

4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Doodoo Meister! Great name bro!

Keep at it kiddo. Compared to what you're learning now, using a Vibrato is like an enjoyable walk in the park. ( well, a nice safe park with no predators, pervs or perpetrators,.. no hookers, hoodlums or hard-luck-stories pan handlin for money or you stumbling across their squatters living area consisting of cardboard & stashed personal items, need I go on??? No excessive liter, pet excrement or signs of people relieving themselves or just having done the nasty & cast off the rubber & assorted hygiene items used for clean up. No, not that park man!!! Just a nice clean park, like in most parts of Canada! Very nice! There ya go. Better right??)

You're going to love playing Vibrato!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  5. Doodoo Meister

Doodoo Meister Member

LOL

6. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

This seems to be the way Tony Iommi does it, most of the time anyway. I personally use a little bit of finger movement but more wrist. It helps if your grip on the neck is fairly loose. This is one reason why my thumb is never planted in the back of the neck. I sort of rest my left thumb against the back of the neck, with the knuckle rather that the thumbpad in contact (basically the same hard part you use on the right hand for pinch harmonics). I find this not only saves a lot of wrist pain but also gives freedom of movement.

This might be one reason that I am not so good at hammer-ons and pull-offs though ... I am fine with bends, although I rarely play a pure bend with no vibrato

7. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

8. Relic61

Interesting to note that the 'Fool' had a Lyre Vibrola on there at one time & had the workings replaced with a Derek Trucks type of fixed tailpiece.

Fool.JPG

I don't know if it was the heroin, the Marshall amps, the SG or combination of all of the above but Eric's playing & tone was at it's pinnacle during this time period. I hate to give any semblance of credit to any form of drug use having anything to do with any of that but it was unarguably part of the equation back then for him. But so was the SG & those Marshall amps & there's no arguing they sound frikin awesome regardless of who's playing them! Yet choosing which notes & how they are played is a very individual part that always requires a wee bit of talent.

9. 67plexi

67plexi Well-Known Member

An interview with Ginger Baker they were shooting up heroin cocaine and LSD all at once.:ohno::ohno::ohno:

10. Relic61

That fvk'n Ginger is a real nutter bro. Have you seen one of the more recent docu-specials they did on him? I believe one version at least (the long one) is called Beware of Mr Baker! So,. towards the end of this very interesting documentary the producer / interviewer gets under Gingers skin & pisses him off (after informing Ginger that he was off to interview the important people in Gingers life, something which an enraged Ginger adamantly DID NOT want done!) at which point a 70 year old Ginger Baker takes multiple jabs at the man & eventually punches the man in the face with the handle end of his cane while screaming ''No yer not! I'll put you in the fvk'n hospital!"! Just a crazy muth'r fvk'r man.

Eric says he was scared to death of him & wanted to avoid working with him. He also says he felt lucky that Jack Bruce captured so much of Gingers anger & kept him distracted & not looking toward Eric to fight with. Frikin pretty boy.

Here's the link to that movie!

It's a fantastic film but long as hell so, no-one is gonna blame you if you want to sneak right up to the 'assaulting with a deadly cane' part & take a curious look! That is around 1:23:20 in this version that is linked above.

No wonder red heads get such a bad rep.

frankd likes this.
  11. StringmanK

StringmanK Member

Probably gonna catch hell for this, but I've never thought Carlos Santana was anything special as a player. Tell me what to listen to. I am open to being convinced otherwise.

12. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Nope, I'm right with you. Particularly that vibrato. Can't listen to it.