Vibrola Dimension Questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bob L, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Bob L

Bob L Member

I know that the way Gibson set the neck affected many other parameters. I am curious to know the nominal distance between the vibrola comb and the bridge pickup cover. The distance on my SG Standard is about 1 3/16", which seems closer than most.

Also, does the end of your vibrola extend over the body? I have seen photos that make it appear that some were installed that way.

2. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

The height of those "tailpieces" are not adjustable, so I would assume depending on bridge height you could see closer and farther mounting? Just speculation here. When I added mine to a Firebird build I adjusted the location based on the desired break angle over the bridge.

Regards Peter.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Bob L

Bob L Member

I was hoping a few people would take a quick measurement and report.

4. Silvertone

Why? What are your thoughts? Is yours in the wrong spot? I just looked at about 10 on the web and most are just slightly above the body edge. Here are a few snipits.
    Capture.JPG Capture01.JPG Capture02.JPG Capture03.JPG

Cheers Peter.

5. Bob L

Bob L Member

Just curious. My vibrola is mounted similarly to those in the photos, but the end of the comb seems closer to the bridge pickup than most.

6. Silvertone

The important part is the break angle over the bridge. Not sure how Gibson sets them up. They probably have a little template or possibly just allows the installer to place where it makes sense. As I said, if the bridge is high you would want it slightly farther away. If the bridge is lower then a little closer may be better. My bridge was too low and I actually took it off and added a stop tail like Derek Trucks.

Cheers Peter.