Vintage SG Special Question: Filling in Humbucker routes on a transparent finish

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by RedDoor, Nov 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

We'd still like to see it with its full guard and P90.

2. shane burbank

shane burbank New Member

I have seen this guitar in Florida a few years back. If you are not keeping the humbuckers I would paint it.

3. Bob L

Bob L Member

A patch job such as you describe can be done by a skilled luthier. This is my SG Standard. There is a patch under the vibrola that extends beyond it. The luthier matched the grain of the patch as close as possible then inked in grain lines to blend the patch into the old finish, which was left as is. Up close you can tell but at a distance it looks fine.

IMG_1790 resized.jpg

4. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

I'd seriously think about a solid colour refin as a small guard is right for the age of the guitar and looks much cooler to me anyway!

The 61 Standard in my avatar had been chopped up in various places (with an existing bad refin) and my restoration guy did a great aged Polaris refin. It took him nearly 2 years as he insisted on leaving it to settle for ages between coats before prepping it for the next one. He insisted that was the only way to stop future repair lines emerging.

Its 18 months on, and I just held it against the light and so far nothing showing at all.

That's the way I'd go - an aged white refin Special is very cool indeed!

Good luck with whatever choice you make.