Vintage VS6 Range Discussion

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Kierran, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jml77

jml77 New Member

My VS6 is pre-wilkinson branding, but the Hardware appears very similar. Different tuners, 135 Keystone rotomatic style. I have one damaged tuner, so might change to Wilkinson kluson style tulips, which I think should be a touch lighter and so help counter the slight neck dive my vs6 has.

Just looking through Mahogany types and substitutes on the WoodDatabase.com and my VS6 body wood most closely resembles the picture of Australian Red Cedar. The average dry weight is much lower than Swietenia Mahogany, and similar to average Basswood.
    Could well be a case of appearance being deceptive.

Pictures will follow soon....

As an aside, I have a huge Linden tree (Basswood, I think) at the bottom of my garden, at some point it will have to be cut down as it has a split trunk and is leaning precariously to one side. Either lots of fire wood for the stove, or/and a few guitar bodies.

Satellitedog likes this.
  2. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Australian Red Cedar does indeed look like the VS6 wood grain (the official photos show similar graining as well), but since I'm not familiar with this wood, and the data base states it's rarely exported, I wonder how likely it is for a Chinese or Indonesian guitar plant to get hold of it.
    It would be really interesting to learn these are actually ARC...
    My brother's guitar sounds a bit muddy in comparison with my Cort made, African mahogany or Sapele (going by the looks in the database) Greco SG, which is much heavier and has a more focused tone with quicker attack.

3. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

IMG_0098.JPG

syscokid and Satellitedog like this.
  4. jml77

jml77 New Member

P1030804_1200.JPG Really difficult to get pictures without too much reflection (Photography not my strong subject)
    Clearly 2 pieces can be seen from the back, from the front it is less obvious, P1030808_1200.jpg

It's also a dust magnet, not helped by 6 months worth of building work on the house.

P1030805_1200.jpg I reckon it's a 5-piece neck... not so well matched as I thought. Must be scrag end of the timber selection.

P1030806_1200.jpg Scarf joint

P1030819_1200.jpg heel joint, well part of it...

Think it is most likely in the wider Mahogany set, but as stated low quality selection.

5. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

I can't take photos of my brother's guitar, but the neck is very different in its construction. Honestly I couldn't find any seams/glue lines on it, and it was kind of a wow moment considering the price.
    As for the wood, I don't know, I'd have to look again in person, cause I've seen way more online pics of VS6s than the actual guitar...

6. jjudas

jjudas Well-Known Member

All the searches I did on older model Vintage VS6 guitars indicated that the bodies were made of Mahogany.

7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Replace those cheapo pickups. Wood does not affect tone.

The neck looks like Nato from the above pictures, but it is very difficult to conclusively determine species just by looking at the grain. Lots of species have similar grain.

8. jml77

jml77 New Member

I think it's all too easy to obsess over guitar construction, it is interesting from a guitar nerd point of view, I admit to being one. But in actuality single vs laminated, this wood vs that wood, xy pickup vs yz pickup, can become a distraction from playing the guitar and finding out what it has to offer and how to get the best out of it. I've played some real trash in my time, and some have been rather challenging to say the least.

However, I get on with this VS6, it 'speaks' to me. After giving it a good setup, it took a few minutes of knob twiddling to get into the bubble and start getting tones that I liked. I have played everyday since buying it. I have hardly touched my other guitars, (fender classic 50 strat, squier tele standard and washburn hawk).

I like the pickups, no idea what they are, they're pre-wilkinson, but they clock in at 7.8k and 8.4k DCR (from memory) pretty sure they're alnico not ceramic, but until I take them apart I'll not know for sure. They sound like the similarly spec'd alnico 3s I have in my Washburn. I can hardly tell the difference. But then my hearing is pretty poor, I can't hear much above 4kHz and only in one ear, so someone with bat like hearing might be able to tell the difference.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. funder

funder New Member

I also have the alpine white and its a fine machine
    [​IMG]