Vintage VS6

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Fergyuk, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Member

Here's my Vintage VS6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

That might be the best looking vintage vs Sg I’ve seen. Sharp!

fos1, Satellitedog and Fergyuk like this.
  3. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Great grain pattern too.

fos1 likes this.
  4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Nice real wood

fos1 and Fergyuk like this.
  5. Carreg_cennen

Carreg_cennen New Member

6. Carreg_cennen

Carreg_cennen New Member

just got mine for £60 plays as well as any guitar I have, really good quality up there with Gibson except for the electrics which I replaced. It's one of the older non offset shape ones so looks like the real deal except for the Headstock

7. jml77

jml77 New Member

@Fergyuk That is one very nice looking VS6. Is that a 1 piece body, sure looks like it.
    I was playing my VS6 a little while ago, first time in ages, it's an old one, pre-wilkinson branding. Plays like a dream, but a bit neck heavy, not excessively, but the dive is there. I bet your Bigsby-ish trem helps in that respect.

Fergyuk likes this.
  8. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Member

Hi jml, I think it is a one piece body I have looked and there's no obvious join. I've never had a strap on it so not sure about neck dive.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    koaguilds and fos1 like this.
  9. fos1

fos1 Active Member

I have had a Wilkinson branded VS6 for over three years. The fit, finish and grain are essentially flawless. I play it every day. I wouldn't change a thing. Some say they are great values, I just say it is a great guitar. An instructor in Kansas commented that it is so close to a Gibson, he doesn't see how Vintage gets away with it.

Fergyuk likes this.
  10. laza616

laza616 New Member

I have this guitar too. Bought one back in 2010 after my first Epiphone g310 cracked on the neck and body joint while playing. This epi was a trerrible disaster. During the first 4 months i had to have electronics repaired 3 times so the guitar was like a month away ....very bad piece.........

So i bought Vintage VS6 cherry and i still have it. Never had any issues or problems with the guitar
    Actually the guitar is so great that i cant believe it only cost me 290€ back in 2010 when i bought it. I will never let this guitar go. The Wilkinson hardware is as good as Gibson, electronics are responsive , pickups sound great, tuners are fantastic. The only con is the trapezoid inlays in the fretboard. They are not Well put, around them is some filler. IT IS not a problem , just a cosmetic downside. Other than that the Bridge and the finish are without any problems.
    I have also 2009 Gibson sg standard and the difference is in the details. Gibson Has a fretboard binding while vintage doesnt. Gibson Has absolutely perfectly done fretboard, inlays are perfectly fit and the rosewood is very Dark and very high end.
    When it comes to the Sound, Vintage isnt so much worse than the Gibson
    If the Gibson is 100%, the vintage is 85-88% of it.....very good quality for a silly price
    Its Also better than my Korean 2002 Epi SG
    Maybe i have a Bad Luck on Epiphones , but i fear the epiphone is just way worse than Vintage

Now i noticed that they are selling the vintage SGs modified, offset. I dislike the offset look
    But the guitar i have is so good that i am now actively seeking for s White Vintage Vs6 older not offset version.
    Or the black one with the binding on the fretboard.

fos1 likes this.
  11. fos1

fos1 Active Member

This is a photo of my Vintage VS6. It is as close to flawless as any guitar I have ever owned. It was handpicked and set up by the luthier at Glen's Music Shop in Manhattan, KS.

Vintage Reissued VS6 Better.JPG

Fergyuk likes this.
  12. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Great looker.. I have 2 Gibbys and 1 Samick Artist Series.. all are great in their own way.. Are "Vintage" made in China or Vietnam? perhaps they have changed production locations as I have heard both.. an interview at NAMM 2 years ago mentioned China but i hear VN often in discussion.. either way, Wilkinson makes some great hardware..

fos1 likes this.
  13. fos1

fos1 Active Member

I purchased mine at a small shop in a Kansas college town. I had a very good working relationship with the luthier. He frequently called me whenever he received a very nice guitar. I took one look at this one and had to have it. He indicated that it was made in China to Wilkinson specs and this one was particularly nice.

Can't be sure since the US doesn't seem to require country of origin labeling.

It plays and sounds as nice as any guitar I have in an SG style kind of way.