Vintage VS6

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Fergyuk, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Member

2. laza616

laza616 Active Member

These guitars rock! As an owner i can say that they are pretty great. Mine is like 12 years old already, tunners started buzzing (loosen key stones) but overall the wilkinson hardware is good in my opinion. My guitar stays in tune better than my Gibson sg

But your axe has such a beautiful grain and wood pattern, WOW

fos1 and Fergyuk like this.
  3. fos1

fos1 Active Member

I am really enjoying mine.

4. JESUSG

JESUSG Active Member

Did you change the tuners or stick with the originals?

5. laza616

laza616 Active Member

I keep the same old stock tuners, didnt change them.
    They are good, but i have new Gotoh tuners, but cant install them because these Chinese assholes drilled absolutely weird sized holes for the tuners and the rings that hold the tuners in the headstock are a bit wider so for those stock tuners its OK but its useless for the standard sizes that manufacturers do. Other stsndard tuners rings are just smaller and will not stay in the hole. Its like i am being held hostage with the crappy drilling work and absolutely nonsense size tuners that are thiner by like 0,1mm but the rings are thicker so the hole is wider. So i have to figure out how to solve this as i wanna change the tuners because these old stock Wilkinson altough they keep the tune well, few buttons startet buzzing and its annoying
    Still, the tuners are good, guitar is good but damn its so frustrating that i cant change these tuners

6. fos1

fos1 Active Member

What do you mean that buttons are buzzing?

7. laza616

laza616 Active Member

They are not glued properly or they loosen since their "birth" and when i play unplugged you camt hear this buzzing rattling sound that is different than fret buzz, its caused by the strings vibrating the entire guitar , tuners and its buttons too. Amd as some buttons are slightly moving it makes this annoying buzzing. If i hold the tuner buttons , the buzzing stops.
    Otherwise the tuners keep the guitar tuned.

8. JESUSG

JESUSG Active Member

I used a tapered reamer for making the holes larger. Stay away from drills, unless you have a drill press.

fos1 and laza616 like this.
  9. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Taper reamer could do it yeah thats a good suggestion. Thanks

10. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I don't follow. Are the holes too small or too large?

fos1 likes this.
  11. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Original tuners are a bit thiner than Gotoh i bought they will not fit into the ring in the hole
    And the gotoh rings that came with the tuners are small in the hole and will come out and fall down
    The tuners fit perfectly in Epiphone SG i have, but this Vintage made in China is a completely different level when it comes to these small details like weird size drilled holes for tuners, a bit off shape fretboard inlays

But the guitar is a solid Mahogany, two piece no veneer, Wilkinson hardware and pups were great

fos1 likes this.
  12. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Ok, if I understand you correctly the new tuners you want to put in are too large for the holes.. In that case, no big deal. Take a drill bit of the desired size. It has to be a regular twist bit, no funny or fancy business. Then drill slowly backwards, ie counter clockwise, and Bobs your uncle. Nothing to it, if you can play guitar, you can do this.

13. laza616

laza616 Active Member

No i probably didnt explain it well.
    The new tuners came with the rings that goes to the holes and those are too small for the holes
    And those old stock rings are so thick that the new tuners just will not come through
    I already changed the nut for a Graptech Nubone one that i had to sand down and adjust, i swapped the old bridge for a Gotoh one. And the last piece - tuners they just need a bit of a smaller holes in the guitar or a thicker rings that hold the tuners in the headstock
    I have some spare parts from my old Epiphone SG that i got changed tuners recently so i will try these rings
    It drives me crazy

14. fos1

fos1 Active Member

I have had my "Vintage Brand" SG for several years. The fit and finish is very good. The tuners a good replicas of those on a Gibson. They work well and I have found no reason to mess with them.

I have looked at Gibson SGs for the last couple of years. So far I haven't found any reason to buy one to replace the "Vintage".

I guess I'm lucky.

15. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Yeah, if mine didnt buzz i would have not wanted to change them too.
    They keep the guitar tuned pretty good. And now with new Gotoh bridge and Graptech Nubone nut even better than ever
    Now they are making these SGs quite offset, they look more like ESP Vipers and from what i have held in my hand last year brand new it was poorly done, fret ends so sharp you could cut your hand pretty easy while playing, ready to a complete service so the quality check in China went quite donwhill i guess

16. fos1

fos1 Active Member

Mine has a bound neck. The frets are quite nice. I have never had a fret buzz or tuning issue.

17. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

I've changed a bunch of tuners in my day.. filled holes with toothpicks.. reamed out holes.. I believe its a bushing problem you are having.. some too big .. some too small.. Gotoh tuners rock.. hope you find a good solution.. Perhaps a set of Wilkinson EZ-lock may have worked better.. those have a good reputation and may have fit your current bushings.. When I purchase tuners i always look for the schematic to see the dimensions of not only the tuners but also the bushings and the height of the posts etc.. Had an old Peavey Falcon and the headstock is much thicker than most.. so my choice of tuners did not fit through.. live and learn..

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    pancake81 and fos1 like this.
  18. laza616

laza616 Active Member

my Vintage VS6 from 2009:
    IMG_20210721_162856-01-01.jpeg

EMG 60+81
    Gotoh bridge
    Graptech Nubone nut

fos1 likes this.
  19. dumpster chicken

dumpster chicken New Member