Vista anyone?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vkgphil, Mar 12, 2007.

1. kick

kick Member

Well that is funny becuz I got Vista [pre-installed] for my HP get up.

I haven't had one thing wrong with it for like 8 months now.

But when I had Windows ME and Microsoft internet as an ISP then I had too much trouble- >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Now I have a different ISP, thank God.

2. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

well congrats on the successful experience you have had with vista. i def know that it is not recommended to 'upgrade' an existing xp installation. sounds like you are good to go kick.

3. kick

kick Member

yea the upgrading formula is NOT exactly my "cup of tea."

I think Office Depot will erase entire software from your pc and install Ultimate for instance.

Just padding an upgraded software to overwrite your existing one is asking for trouble, me thinks.

I got my HP get up as new. I had issues for years with Microsoft as ISP - gave up.

the cost of desktop is really becoming an easy buy these days.

4. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    Well, vista sp1 release candidate (Non final, but pretty much the same) is out for download. I installed it and I definitely noticed a difference in file transfer speed. Apparently it lowers cpu activity a bit too.

5. kick

kick Member

I do know this much: never go cheap on computer's memory power. If you surf, that is.

I have at least 500 GB :D on mine. I get envy when the companies have risen that number to 600-750 GB range for just a few bucks more on new DT.

6. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=kick link=topic=12748.msg204579#msg204579 date=1201181651]
    I do know this much: never go cheap on computer's memory power. If you surf, that is.

I have at least 500 GB :D on mine. I get envy when the companies have risen that number to 600-750 GB range for just a few bucks more on new DT.
    [/quote]you have 500 GB of memory??????? id love to see that LOL

7. kick

kick Member

you must be thinking of the other GB.

I got like 3000 GB plus 500 free space

Best Buy sell'em with HP for like $800 or if you use the 6-8 weeks mail in rebates then it's about $699

8. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=kick link=topic=12748.msg204586#msg204586 date=1201190082]
    you must be thinking of the other GB.

I got like 3000 GB plus 500 free space

Best Buy sell'em with HP for like $800 or if you use the 6-8 weeks mail in rebates then it's about $699
    [/quote]hard disk space and memory are very diffrent things! you have 3TB of hard drive? (1000 GB=1 TB)sure you dont mean 300 GB and 500 GB free?

9. kick

kick Member

10. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

OHH ok 3GB memory 500GB hard drive ok gotcha i thought you ment you had a system with 3000 GB of memory! id love to see that

11. kick

kick Member

[quote author=q-4000-SG Guy link=topic=12748.msg204596#msg204596 date=1201214718]
    OHH ok 3GB memory 500GB hard drive ok gotcha i thought you ment you had a system with 3000 GB of memory! id love to see that
    [/quote]

3000 GB? ;D ;D [in the ads they like to say 3 thousand as opposed to 3 GB]

That would be pretty useless..........like way too much $$$$$$$$

in that case I would need to own a company & staff or something.

12. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

oh i dunno

it would allow you to do a heck of a lot of recording/downloading

i shudder to think about the defragging time thou

i guess you could have 10 thirty GB partitions

13. kick

kick Member

about 40 years ago computers were the size of a house! :D

14. nvosmeier

nvosmeier New Member

The pros outweigh the cons when it comes to Vista. There were several issues when Vista was released. Many due to third parties not fully supporting the new system. Microsoft provided drivers in Vista for devices that are Microsoft compatibility approved. Many vendors due not submit their products for compatibility, and therefore their drivers are not included in the release. (They also do not get to show the Vista compatibile logo on their products.)

For the most part, Vista is a fine OS. It is more mature now, than when it was released. It is an improvement over XP. Nothing wrong with XP, just Vista is the next step. It supports more of the latest hardware, can take advantage of 64-bit hardware better, supports more memory, processors etc out of the box.

Compatibility with other devices are the onus of the vendors to supply drivers for their products to get them to work.

I have been using Vista for 9 months now, without any issues. Service Pack one address many of the issues that did ship with the original Vista. Vista also did have some initial bugs where things like copying files were not as efficient and therefore slower than with XP. This has been resolved. When you make big changes to the core of the OS, things will break.

Many people don't realize that Vista comes in many flavors and that 1 flavor is very XP like, but still has many new features.

Change is not for everybody, but if it is for you, try it if you get the chance. You might like it. I would also say try the other OS's available, the FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris etc. These other OS's are available free with limited support, (additional support will cost money), but they also offer great oppertunities.

The Max OS Tiger and Leopard are also good OS's. (Based on the FreeBSD based mach kernel)

Be thankfull that we have so many oppertunities. Try them and pick the ones you want to use.

I don't understand people knocking this sytem or that. If it is not for you, move on to one that it. No one is pinning you to one choice.

OS's are evolving as hardware and software continue to improve. This is to are benefit and gives us choices. If you want to stay where you are now, that is okay as well.

If you want to take advantage of the latest hardware technologies, you will need to also use current OS's that will have the drivers to support the new hardware.

Anyway, I thought this was an SG site?

15. kick

kick Member

;D

This is a SG site, just the pc section...

16. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

but what about the lack of driver support for Vista I have an older (2 years old) LaserJet printer that it can't install with out the disk (yet XP could) my digital camara and both video camaras same thing it works with all hard drives i have added except the one that was in the computer just before the "upgrade" yet that drive works in every XP system i have tryed it in it. Its not that big a deal as i have the drivers for all the devices i have but it was kinda a bitch having to use disks to install the drivers that are suposed to be in the OS! oh and i have Vista Ultmate so you would think that it has every driver XP did then some but NOPE!

over all i do like Vista! everyone will LOVE IT as soon as they start talking about the "new" version of windows so.....................

17. kick

kick Member

upgrading to a better software in a manner of "over - writing" the older one is risky.

do someone or yourself erased all of the older software??

18. SG Steve

SG Steve Member

When I switched, I just saved all the stuff I needed onto a dvd and did a reformat and fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64. No issues, but got to watch those drivers to make sure they work with 64bit..I also used all new stuff instead of an install on a 3 year old machine.

2.4 Intel Q6600 quad core
    EVGA 680i mobo
    8 gigs of 800mhz ddr2 ram
    300gig hard drive
    Two Nvidia 8800GT 512mb in SLI
    PC Power & Cooling 1kw psu
    Vista Ultimate 64

19. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

that sounds like a beast