Vox MV50 questions

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by voodoomin, Mar 7, 2021.

1. voodoomin

voodoomin New Member

Hi!

Sorry If my question is out of place but I've had the Vox mv50 AC for almost a year now - with the matching BC108 cab and I love its sound but I still have some usage question I can't find any answers online or in its manual:

1. I keep my impendance switch on 8 ohms - as recommended for the cab I have. If I were to switch it to 16 ohms, would that mean It would get quiter or is there a chance I might burn something in the speaker/cable? this didn't help me whatsoever.

2. I once, by mistake, connected the phone/line out output to the cabinet. It was quieter but I was happy to see the VU meter jump up and down (at the volumes I usually play, it doesnt even flinch). So my question is, can I damage something by playing it that way?. judging also by the fact that the cabinet doesnt have its own power supply, it gets its "power" through the cable

3. If I only have 3.5mm headphones (the jack), can i use an adaptor and use the MV50 with a regular pair of headphones without damaging the amp?

I know that for some these questions are silly but I'd rather be safe than sorry. As you can tell this is my first amp that isn't a solidstate combo.

2. voodoomin

voodoomin New Member

And I will piggyback on my own post to add a fourth question:

4. In the future I will want to get a reverb pedal and a basic looper. Where in the signal chain do I have to put them? Before the amp or in between the amp and the cabinet? Or are there any no-no's I should know about, before experimenting?

3. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

1 Use the impedance specified on the cabinet for best results. If you want lower volumes without turning down on the amp for tone reasons, use a power attenuator, and stay on the correct impedance output. Using the wrong impedance will appear to work, but can cause damage to the amp.

2 See above. Yes it can cause damage, just not always immediately.

3 if you are talking about plugging headphones into the speaker jack, definitely not recommended. An adapter will work, and it will power the headphones, but unless you turn it waaaay down so the amp is putting out power levels the headphones can handle, (which is many times smaller than the speaker levels) you will probably blow your own head off, immediately, followed by the destruction of your headphone speakers. There is potentially far too much power available from the amp speaker output to safely run headphones. For "silent" home practice I would recommend getting a small practice amp with a dedicated headphone jack. There are some really great ones available in the $150-$250 dollar range. There has never been a better time to buy a small practice amp.

4 Effects typically are run between the guitar and the instrument input on the amp. Do NOT place any effects between the speaker out jack and the speaker. The power levels there will damage the pedals immediately..Many amps nowadays also have a dedicated effects loop with a pedal level send and return between the preamp and power amp stages. This allows you run your preamp signal through a pedal and back to the return input before the power amp stage. Some good candidates for the effects loop are reverb and delay type pedals (a looper might also qualify for this). Most pedals however work best between the guitar and instrument input. Any pedal can safely be put in the effects loop, but things like overdrives and fuzz pedals (and really most other pedals) work best before the preamp. Loopers and reverbs will also give perfectly satisfactory results there.

It is completely safe to experiment with all your pedals in the effects loop and see if you like it there. Having done so myself however I predict you won't like the results in most cases. Do not put them anywhere near the speaker jack however, you will destroy your pedals faster than you can shout "FIRE IN THE HOLE".

voodoomin likes this.
  4. voodoomin

voodoomin New Member

Thank you for the reply.

Regarding question 2 - not the speaker jack, but the amp has a phone/line out output with a headset symbol above it (as seen here. Can I plug regular earbuds with an adapter in that socket?

4. EytschPi complained about this amp not having an effect loop, its really a shame. Thank you for making it clear to me how they are supposed to be used.

Regarding practice amps, you are right, I now kinda regret not going for a Yamaha Thr, guess I was fooled by the MV50's small size.

5. Go Nigel Go

Ahhh, OK. If you have a 1/4 inch headphone specified output jack, then yes a simple adapter is exactly the thing you need.

Not having an effect loop is not the end of the world by a long shot. I have them on some of my amps, but seldom actually use them. You aren't missing out on a lot by not having one, I just mentioned it in case you did have one. It mainly just gives you a few extra signal routing options than can make a difference in the overall sound based on pedal order in the signal chain. They are more common these days than they ever used to be, but seldom used by most people.

voodoomin likes this.
  6. voodoomin

voodoomin New Member

Yes, I have for the first time used the amp with headphones just now. The sound quality ain"t as good as through the cabinet but for late night noodling in silence its great.

Thanks again!

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  7. Go Nigel Go

You are welcome!

With regards audio quality through the headphones, I have noticed the same thing. I will say that trying different headphones will give remarkably different results. Way more than changing the speaker in the amp. Try different kinds to find a set that works best. So far I have not found a set that sounds "just like" the speaker playing in the room, but I did figure out which set I had on hand worked best with my amp. As you say though, for the luxury of being able to practice at night without disturbing the neighbors it is worth a bit of trade off. A pair of full sized "cans" will probably always be better than earbuds, but even then you will be amazed how much difference there is from one pair to another. It might be worthwhile to take the amp down to your local music store or wherever you can buy audiophile gear and audition several brands and models. Hopefully the most expensive set won't be the winner! :D This isn't a "quality" issue, just a matter of frequency response of the headphones and there are no hard rules I can recommend to follow. Just try everything, a lot of it just comes down to preference and perception. I have over a dozen pairs of headphones and they all sound completely different.

voodoomin likes this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I've had the Boutique and Rock MV50s. I found that even at low volume, the tone was good. I wouldn't go with headphones.

Changing the speaker switch from 8 to 16 ohm or 4ohm, will NOT damage the amp with that 8ohm cab you have. It will change the tone though, usually not for the best.

As for reverb in front of it, unfortunatly, it's far from the best. That is why I sold both of mine. As you increase gain on the MV50, the reverb will increase at the same rate.

They do sound great with the tube breakup. Too bad for the missing effect loop.

voodoomin likes this.
  9. voodoomin

voodoomin New Member

Yes, ill keep that in mind when trying out reverbs. So far I love my mv50, the edge-of-breakup tone and the tone knob rolled way down is soo nice.

DrBGood likes this.