W,hich modern SGs become desirable as time goes on?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Santiago97, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Santiago97

Santiago97 New Member

I'm curious what people think what modern SGs might become desirable in the future. It's really hard to say for me because they make so many now but my bet are on any custom shop SG and definitely a black beauty SG custom.

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

As a general guide, anything that's a fairly short run, distinctive but still quite desirable, and bought when the last stocks are being cleared out is going to be a good bet. It doesn't matter if there are people who hate the model for being 'different', as long as it's reasonably desirable to some.

For example, I bought a 2016 SG Supreme in 2018, when a German dealer was clearing out the last of the stock (I had checked them out in a UK store when new, but ended up buying a Standard instead). The discount was roughly £250, so not huge. I ended up trading it during lockdown, when a private sale would've been impossible, and didn't lose out, but the dealer moved it on priced at £500 more than I'd paid for it, 18 months earlier (so higher than new RRP). A similar thing happened with a Diablo Premium Plus: I bought it used, about a year old, and paid a little more than the guy had bought it for on clearance. I sold it about a year later for £250 more. These SGs were both distinctive and with limited availability. The 'Captain Kirk' SGs were another great example, basically an SG Custom from Gibson USA and sold for little more than an SG Standard, cheaper if you found one on clearance.

The issue now is that Gibson USA aren't tending to do these sorts of runs - everything is produced in large numbers, so there won't be any sort of scarcity on the used market. The exception would be dealer runs - especially any with really cool colours, as long as Gibson are only offering cherry, other colours will sell well on the used market. So that would be my answer: Dealer runs in special colours.

Slightly different with the Custom Shop, as small runs and made-to-measure offer all sorts of possibilities. I'm hoping my SG Custom will be distinctive enough to be desirable in the future - although I'm also hoping it'll get sold my my estate, rather than me... :)

[​IMG]

mullytron likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That for me is strangest concept for choosing a guitar. I want a guitar that I'll love playing and won't be scared of leaving some marks on, regardless of its value now or later.

But that's me ...

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  4. SG standard

Who said anything about being scared of leaving marks? This is about desirability and value, have you seen how much more expensive relic'd guitars are... Just make sure you're leaving enough marks, one looks like a mistake. :)

5. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Well,

I am not the most up to date I can say on what is NEW in the last 4-5 years.
    BUT I can say that from what some call " desirable" I would add a Derek Trucks model.

Some others that I would say are lesser known but also some might find desirable,

SG Zoot Suit, N225

Biddlin has one of those 225 bad boys.

6. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Fast forwarding to about 20 years from now, I'm guessing that the Trucks model and the Standards from 2016-2019 will be looked on as favorable.

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The SG hasn’t really changed much in the past 20 years.

The SG Standard just flip flops over the years between small guard vs batwing, Grover vs Kluson style tuners, reflector knobs vs top hats, poker chip vs no poker chip, different pups.

Then we have people replacing perfectly functioning Nashville bridges with ABR-1.

It’s still the same guitar.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  8. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Of all the recent models, my nomination for most desirable would be the Jeff Tweedy signature. They appear to be selling for quite a bit more than when new. I used to have one...

9. Santiago97

Santiago97 New Member

I'm just asking a question. It's just a fun thing to think about.

10. chilipeppermaniac

CG, I really often liked the Standards despite not owning any or even trying out any at the stores. I was unaware that the cosmetics of them had changed and the tuners.

As to your people replacing Nashville vs ABR1 statement, I was unaware this was a thing.

11. chilipeppermaniac

I saw a Tweedy mentioned. This reminded me of another one I heard was a nice piece. The Captain Kirk one

[​IMG]

indeedido and Ed R like this.
  12. cerebral gasket

The Tweedy SG is just an SG ‘61 Reissue finished in Pelham Blue with a Maestro Vibrola.

Trucks SG is same thing but without pickguard, Maestro Vibrola cover plate only and finished in cherry.

Kirk SG is just an SG Custom.

Nothing new, just different features.

1972 was the last time there was any drastic changes to the SG.

After volutes, harmonica bridges, and small block inlays disappeared sometime in the 1980’s, the SG Standards have basically remained the same as the 60’s versions with the exception of a modern neck joint and heel.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  13. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Not sure I know/agree with your thoughts on this @cerebral gasket . Are you saying that because the Tweedy, Trucks, Kirk, etc. are based on existing models that doesn’t make them any more desirable? I might make the case that something simple (color, pickups, vibrola) can make a big difference. Just look at a ‘58 Les Paul Goldtop vs Sunburst. Same thing, really. Or is it...?

14. chilipeppermaniac

Mine has all those discontinued parts.

Attached Files:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  15. cerebral gasket

I am only saying that the signature models are based on existing models. It's up to the individual to decide if those features are more or less desirable based on personal preferences.

chilipeppermaniac and skelt101 like this.
  16. chilipeppermaniac

Then if you want to really add some Shiz to the niz,,,,,,,,,,, Oh and Hopefully ONLY LEFTY editions. IT WOULD BE SACRILEGE to make a right handed Monkey

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/141014/

17. SG standard

I beg to differ....
    [​IMG]

When it comes to changes, everything that happened in 1972 was tame compared to this. From the laminate construction to the Diablo carve body. :)

And of course there have been many others over the years since 1972, such as the pointy headstock 'super strat' SGs of the 80s, 12-string SGs, Specials with 3-single coils, etc.

But anything that's just a little different to a regular cherry SG could be up for consideration in the context of this topic. You might even wonder about the sideways vibrola SGs available right now - if Gibson drops them soon, they might be more desirable for being a bit more unusual, just as the SG Original & Original II seemed to be attracting higher prices until Gibson introduced the Standard + Maestro into the regular range.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  18. chilipeppermaniac

Also, for any NORMAL player and for Extraordinary ones too. A real favorite of a lot of people including myself, the SG Classic.

[​IMG]

19. chilipeppermaniac

Yup, I believe I did mention the Zoot Suit models. Just did not post any pics.

[​IMG]

20. cerebral gasket

The SG Classics are my favorite.
    That's why I have two.

[​IMG]

chilipeppermaniac and Flaps like this.