Warm, rich tones from a bridge PU? Suggestions needed!

Satellitedog

Reaction score
If warm and Rich is what you’re looking for you’ll hate dynasonics and pretty much anything in the gretsch family.

All of those pickups are voiced on the brighter side of things. They’re interesting, soft attack but very focused. Kind of scooped in the mids and lower output.

The super d clean idea is a good one. I was surprised how good those sound clean.

Thanks, a Dyna in the bridge pos. of an SG would probably be in the telecaster territory.

Can an SG bridge pup be twangy-clean?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Can an SG bridge pup be twangy-clean?

Yes.

I always use the neck pickup for cleans and the bridge pickup for high gain no matter what guitar I play and have never liked the sound of a bridge pickup on any guitar for cleans.

It’s just the nature of any guitar that the closer to the bridge a pickup is located, the brighter it will sound and the closer to the neck a pickup is located, the warmer it will sound.

Last edited:

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
Suggestion? Neck pickup. That's what makes the warm rich tones. Bridge pickups are for the brighter, edgy tones.

There's your answer. There's a reason most archtops only have a neck pickup. Also I have an SG with P90s and you want be getting warm, jazzy tones out of that bridge pickup.

Satellitedog

Reaction score
It is not a Jazz tone but these were humbucker (57) bridge. These are about as warm as I get.

Mini humbucker bridge

I'm really liking the tones used on Tears. Reverb and delay with a fixed wah/filter and some subtle overdrive?

Dale

Reaction score
I'm really liking the tones used on Tears. Reverb and delay with a fixed wah/filter and some subtle overdrive?

There are 2 leads on it. One reverb and delay. The other is a modulation effect, a form of chorus or flanger on it.

bwotw

Reaction score
DiMarzio super distortion and the amp set for rather clean or slight breakup. All treble gone, very bold sounding. I quite like it even with non high gain setups!

DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF.

One of those in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge!

Tom

I was gonna comment these exact suggestions. The Super Distortion can't be beat for a thick, warm bridge tone. Don't be fooled by the name, it can be very clean, is just compressed, full and rich, not at all thin or trebly

DrBGood

Reaction score
Stock bridge pup sounds OK to me ...

You Tube really dulls the tone. If you can, crank the volume, it'll help a little.

Latest posts