Warning. What you are about to see is disturbing.

pancake81

Reaction score
I was expecting worse.

to be honest, there are kind of two camps In The guitar world. Folks that leave them alone, or perhaps reversible upgrades. And of course, moders.

I am usually a cosmetic guy only, but can appreciate the other side. I find this mild compared to what many do to their guitars.

fuzbuzz78

Reaction score
I was expecting worse.

to be honest, there are kind of two camps In The guitar world. Folks that leave them alone, or perhaps reversible upgrades. And of course, moders.

I am usually a cosmetic guy only, but can appreciate the other side. I find this mild compared to what many do to their guitars.
it’s the little things that make me uncomfortable. I do hope he gets his asking price of $1070 with all the “improvements”.

pancake81

Reaction score
You always read those threads, “should I mod my 19XX guitar, because I don’t like XYZ about it”.

I understand it’s an instrument and folks have the right, and deserve, to make it the most usable instrument for them. But I always default to the consideration that year 19XX guitar only had so many made. And everyone that gets altered is one less original.

Personally, when I read of those 1960’s and 1970’s SG’s that folks mod up, I weep a little. One because it’s another original that is lost. And two, I think a large percentage of them will look back and go “dang, probably shouldn’t have done that”. Even if they only say it in reference to resale sale.

Vintage guitars are not cheap anymore. Chances are if you afford a 1960’s SG to mod up, you can afford to leave it stock and buy a separate one to mod..

I dunno, maybe I am the crazy one.???

Last edited:

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
It's NOT vintage, so no harm, no foul..... but when there is probably a hole covered by the pickguard for a neck pickup.... this is just wrong.

skelt101

Reaction score
My question is: What's keeping that '57 Classic from rattling around in the body? I don't see any height adjustment screws in the pickup ring... :hmm:

JH1968

Reaction score
Personally, if I had an idea for a mod I wanted try but would be very invasive, I would buy a used Epiphone or Squire before I tried it on a $1500 instrument. I’ll be shocked if he get his asking price. I’m watching it to see how long it takes to sell the SG and at what price.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
How to take a $1,400 guitar and turn it into a $70 guitar.

Tell me about it. Sheesh

My question is: What's keeping that '57 Classic from rattling around in the body? I don't see any height adjustment screws in the pickup ring... :hmm:

Exactly, and now there are 4 extra holes in the body around a non standard Humbucker rout.

Jeez. He couldn't at least slap a Batwing on to cover it?

I will get to this later.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
OK Permission to land.

If I got this SG sight unseen and with the P90 on the side, Hum in Middle like that,

I am hoping that Ebony with screw holes is just a cover and no wood was glued into the original P90 rout hole, OR was this a Dog ear P90?

Either way, I am afraid I would only be able to cob together a solution that would require turning this into a 3 pup HUM guitar with the proper 3 hum Scratchplate.

Do we think that would conceal all the holes and make it look right, and only when any service work was done, would anyone know it was not a proper 3 pup SG?

Hmmm Maybe it would still be quite the bastard. I forgot the Fretboard has dot inlays which would look weird
AND the normal 3 pup setup is not a full batwing, UGGH this guy jacked this up bad.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
fc638f95-5948-4d1c-bdad-8a8ce31f7855_f8d58a09-7bd7-43ae-90ab-db03eee9751d_1024x1024.png

Now here is a beautiful SG and it is at my local to DC Gib dealer, Chuck Levins.

MMM Kirk Douglas SG

Goldtone

Reaction score
3 pickup SG customs are awesome guitars, you need to work around that middle pick up though to learn how to pick without hitting it and it getting in your way. So awkward for some people that they stay away. I freaking love my SG custom

But to have a single pickup guitar with the pickup placed like this is surely significantly reducing how many would be comfortable playing it

I’d put back in bridge position or in a correct neck position (which would sound killer), then fill the extra routs with mahogany to get the solid wood back, then batwing it and rock on

Oh yeah, and replace the original tuners, get the nut cleaned up and filed correctly, then learn how to string a guitar

Goldtone

Reaction score
Ha, I’m too technically dumb for that...I’ll work on it. Great idea, thank you

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
OK Permission to land.

If I got this SG sight unseen and with the P90 on the side, Hum in Middle like that,

I am hoping that Ebony with screw holes is just a cover and no wood was glued into the original P90 rout hole, OR was this a Dog ear P90?

Either way, I am afraid I would only be able to cob together a solution that would require turning this into a 3 pup HUM guitar with the proper 3 hum Scratchplate.

Do we think that would conceal all the holes and make it look right, and only when any service work was done, would anyone know it was not a proper 3 pup SG?

Hmmm Maybe it would still be quite the bastard. I forgot the Fretboard has dot inlays which would look weird
AND the normal 3 pup setup is not a full batwing, UGGH this guy jacked this up bad.

Couldn't say for sure if a batwing would cover it all, but I think so because it looks like the screws for the ebony cover stay within the bounds of the original P90 route. Although there may be screw holes from the original pickguard visible.

What really peeves me is that this guy bought a brand new guitar, hacked it up immediately and then decided he didn't like it, all within one year. How impulsive can you get? Maybe sit with it for a little while and decide whether you want to keep it before hacking it up? Hello?

Latest posts