Was 2013 a "high point" in recent SG Standard history?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by BenTobith, Apr 20, 2020.

1. BenTobith

BenTobith Member

I've noticed that the 2013 models have more of an authentic '61 model appearance, I believe they all have '57 pickups (or maybe just the few I've found), and they return to dark rosewood fretboards.

Am I missing something, or maybe this isn't unique just for 2013?

2. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

If your preference is for a '61-style, then yes it may have been a high point. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Batwing fans out there though...

3. BenTobith

BenTobith Member

Good point. I like both, myself.

arcticsg likes this.
  4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

2013 SG Std, 2014 SG Std and 2015 SG Std have a nice '61 authentic model appearance.

arcticsg likes this.
  5. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Noooo!

2013 is the year they dropped the batwing and went to the half pickguard. That's like Rickenbacker dropping their 12 string guitars from their line. That's like Ferrari dropping the wheels from their cars.

I have a 2012. It is the high point is SG Standard history. Exclusive limited edition finishes and a full batwing. Gibson never made a better SG.

Drumroll, please.
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the greatest SG that Gibson ever produced. The 2012 Limited Edition Natural Burst Gibson Standard SG:

[​IMG]

6. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Purdy azz gwiter my friend, lovely colorway. I have both the '19 SG standard and '61 standard and as much as I love my '61 over my SG standard soundwise, its that batwing that always lures me to my other at times. Unfortunately unlike my '61 which has a perfect weight with those Kluson tuners, my Standard had more weight cuz of the heavy Grovers so had to replace those bean buttons with keystone ones and i'm loving it more now. Batwing forever!!!!

koaguilds, NMA and arcticsg like this.
  7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

the 2013 year class is often touted, but I believe that it's mostly
    because of changes that Gibson made in 2012, and then reversed,
    and in 2014, and then the calamitous 2015 year class.

Resale value on a 2013 is likely higher than 2012 or 2014 or 2015
    simply because of unpopular changes Gibson made to their designs.

2012 was the year of the 'baked maple" fretboards... Gibson was forced
    to make these because of a Government raid on their factory, which confiscated
    a lot of "black market' Ebony and Rosewood that Gibson had bought from dicey sources in third world countries suffering from coups d'etat and worse.

I was intrigued by the concept of fretboards made of North American hardwood,
    so I bought one. It is an excellent instrument, turning all the Gibson bashing
    into lies, as usual... *shrugs. It's all about the music, IMHO.

2013 guitars had no baked maple fretboards, and they also had all the virtues
    described in full in other places. Gibson got the 2013s right... mostly.
    So these are respected by ignorant internet "critics" and post makers.
    People seem to be wiling to pay more for them, but I don't get it.

2014 was the year of the Gibson "120th banner" inlaid into the fretboards of
    many of their guitars. These banners were scathingly received at the time, and
    the hudu has died down mostly because the 2015s annoyed guitarists so much more. The 120th year banner was thought by some sales guy at Gibson to be
    a "unique" or 'collectible" feature. It didn't work, being just sales guy hype and
    not really very true. But it has no effect on tone, and the 2014s are excellent
    guitars of course. So the bashing of the 2014s is just more lies, as usual.
    They play and feel just great, given proper setup.

2015s... don't get me started... There is so much bull-taco written about this
    year class. Five years later, they remain breathtakingly lovely, they remain excellent instruments in general... they had a couple of flaws that Gibson has
    addressed. The "wider" neck is actually easy to play and very bend friendly.
    Guitarists seem so OCD about neck shapes, any little change brings out the
    crybaby posts like an army of darkness.

I play six string acoustic and electric, and electric bass, so most discussions of neck shapes leave me bewildered. To me, and to anyone who plays multiple
    instruments with different size necks, all that angst and woe seems silly.
    But I've seen enough of it to know it's real for some players... so they didn't
    care for the Gibson "soloist" neck shape in 2015 and Gibson took a bath on the
    whole year class. Most of us don't care for robot tuners either, since the regular
    kind work fine and have worked fine since the Middle Ages.

Anyway, these kinds of concerns are the reason that the 2013 year class
    gets so much respect. For some guitarists, these are very real issues, and
    the 2013s don't suffer from them.

IMHO, Gibson guitars are always individual. You have to play it.
    If you think ordering an expensive Gibson online, unplayed and uninspected
    is a good idea, then you might be riding for a fall. Peoples' expectations seem
    outrageous to me sometimes... but of course I would never pay some of the high
    prices Gibson gets for some of their models. I own three Gibsons, all were relatively inexpensive, and all have given great service. No fancy models for me,
    and no fancy prices. I like SG specials...
    3 Gibsons@100.jpg

8. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I just figured this thread should at least have a pick or two of a 2013 SG :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. arcticsg

I have both same year 2005 SG Standard and 2005 SG ‘61 Reissue. They are both awesome in their own right. And even though they are very different from each other. I am never really able to decide with one is my favorite, always switching back and forth between the two. I guess you could say they take turns.. :D

[​IMG]

10. arcticsg

I couldn’t agree more Col. :smile:

[​IMG]

But.... I actually enjoy the GForce tuners :D

[​IMG]

11. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

All the '13s I've seen definitely have that perfect body contour that some other years don't seem to have. My 2015 is just like that too. Gorgeous guitar if the wide fretboard doesn't bother you

12. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yup, baked maple fretboards is another plus of the 2012 model.

I'm an enviornmental warrior. I'm a Green guy (I change my own oil and I bring the old oil to the nearest playground and mix it up in the sand in the sandbox. I see NASCAR guys always throw sand down on oil spills so I figured out the best place to get rid of my old car oil is in sandboxes at playgrounds.) and I feel the baked maple fretboard is a win for the environment.

Plus the baked maple fretboards do add a touch of uniqueness to the 2012 SG line. What other years were they used on? I don't believe any others. And they are kind of pretty to look at. Not dark blackish brown, but more of a creamy, pleasant looking brown.

Hola Vibrola and koaguilds like this.
  13. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

They started using baked maple in late 2011. The earliest baked maple I have seen was an October 2011 specimen but I have read it started in August/September 2011. My Standard Ltd was finished in December 2011.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2011 Standard Ltd on the right with maple board w/ rounded neck profile. 2012 Standard 60 on the left which had a rosewood board w/ slim taper profile and was made in very small numbers.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  14. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I love my 2015 SG Standard, beautiful finish, nice real MOP inlays, the adjustable nut is great to obtain a low action. I love the slim taper neck profile. This SG is awesome, perfect.

[​IMG]

15. reelaroundthefountain

reelaroundthefountain New Member

I gravitate to 15-16 I’d still have a HP LP if I didn’t have to have this JMP that came into the music shop. the soloist neck was a good idea & the titanium adjustable nut works great, I think the other hardware was titanium too! the HP models are good value for money now I think. My 2016 SG Standard Traditional has a bigger neck shape I really bond with & I’m not into small pickguards so I think that’s my vote for best specs on a modern made SG

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  16. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

now don't go crazy on me, but I'd like to see how that looks with a cream or off-white guard. But the black does look great too.

17. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Never thought of that. Hmmm, doesn't sound too bad.

But I like to keep my gear stock. I might have a go with Photoshop or something and see what a cream pickguard might look like on that guitar.

Hola Vibrola and arcticsg like this.
  18. arcticsg

[​IMG]
    For the most part, I’m the same way.

NMA likes this.
  19. DBluesMi

DBluesMi New Member

Personally, I think 2019+ are just awesome.

20. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

My Sept. 2012 is a rosewood. Got it in Nov. of 2012 when the online stores dropped the bottom out of the 2012's to make room for the 2013's. $749 brand new. They didn't last more than a couple days. Probably my best deal ever.