Well... This will be different.

Heket

Reaction score
Ehh... depends how fit you are and how much you think you can handle the transition between instruments. Don't get me wrong, it sounds BANGING but it not ergonomic. If you think SGS have neck dive, that's nothing compared to a Thunderbird. The body is also not very streamlined and from what I remember it's definitely on the heavier side of things. But wait for esg to chime in, he actually has one.

Metal89

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the weight! :) I've only ever played live with sg's and strats. Although for a time I did own a heavy les Paul copy that had to of weighed 8 or 9 pounds.. Miss that gold top.. Could play that for a while standing but I know that's not the same as in a gig.

I may be a strange one but neck dive never was a concern for me. My fret hand never leaves the neck.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I'd recommend an Ibanez SR200 or SR300... those are not too heavy, they sound good
and balance perfectly.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CJuu4ayTocwCFQEGaQodSd0Nbg

I recommend you make a point of keeping your thumb behind the neck as you work your way into the
playing of the bass. Use it like a pivot, and then the scale length becomes unimportant. With your thumb
behind the neck, your reach goes far enough to perform most anything.

I'd avoid active pickups, since you won't likely be playing at high levels.
If you have a chord chart, play the root note of each chord... stick with the drummer. Keep it simple.
When in doubt, find the one-beat. Listen to the keyboard player's left hand... or the rhythm guitarists
downbeat. As you get more used to it, you may find yourself playing ladder notes from one
root note to another. Good luck... bass has been my thing since I was a young buck, I think there
were still dinosaurs crawling around then.

Heket

Reaction score
According to the Epiphone website the pro IV weighs 9.6lb. I'd really recommend finding one to try first, they're actually not hard to find. Also the sound leans heavily towards hard rock so you may not want that for a church band, but you know, you could always play the TB at home and other gigs and use the church bass when playing there.

I agree with Colonel, Ibanez make great starter basses, as do Yamaha although I think they are not as easy to get hold of in the states as they are here. Then of course Squier, with the ubiquitous jazz and precision basses. SX are a brand that do cheap copy basses that come out very well.

Metal89

Reaction score
Once again, thank you so much guys!! Ya'll have been a great help!