Western Electric Survey for USA-made Tubes

syscokid

Reaction score

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Filled out the short survey, hope they follow through and start producing again.

Norton

Reaction score
It’s a no brainer. They’d sell all the tubes they wanted to make. Not sure if it’s a profit margin that’ll make the shareholder mentality excited. But there’s no way it wouldn’t work.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Yeah, what can it hurt! When I first filled out the form on the website, their list did not include 6V6 or EL34 tubes. I left a comment that these tubes were extremely common guitar amplification tubes. A couple hours later I checked the site again and these tubes were added to the list.

Now, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t the only one to point this out, so I’m not saying they added these only because of my comment. But, it does show they are actively monitoring the site and paying attention.

syscokid

Reaction score
We have the equivalent in the UK. Brimar is an old and respected valve manufacturer. They have recommissioned their old machines and are producing some great valves again.

Brimar Valve Products
So, Brimar is actually manufacturing all the tubes currently listed in their catalog? I did not know their machinery was up to speed yet.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Eurotubes has this message…

“Our online store is temporarily closed due to an overwhelming numbers of orders placed after 3/10/2022. Do not worry! JJ Electronic is running at full capacity and we're processing existing orders as quickly as possible. Once we're caught up we will reopen the store.”

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Eurotubes is taking orders again.
4 matched JJ EL34’s and 3 JJ 12ax7’s (1 high gain) are just under $190 shipped US.

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The tubes arrived today. The bias adjust needed to come up but…
I asked the owner to play through it as-is to hear what it sounded like biased cold.
Then I adjusted upwards twice until he asked to bring it back down somewhat.
The EL34’s were all within 1mA (using a bias probe tool) in a 100W JCM-800 …I’m no expert but those were the tightest numbers I’ve ever seen.
It sounds great. It was in a studio where we could crank it too.

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
I like the JJ tubes stuff. I have a STV that I spent many dollars buying NOS tubes for. Came to the conclusion that the current production JJ and Electro-Harmonix tubes sound just as good and saved myself a lot of money and trouble. The STV now has EH power tubes and a mix of JJ and EH in the preamp. Guitarist I play with uses a Mesa Dual Rec and has all JJ's in it. Sounds good, and they have been trouble free.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I like the JJ tubes stuff. I have a STV that I spent many dollars buying NOS tubes for. Came to the conclusion that the current production JJ and Electro-Harmonix tubes sound just as good and saved myself a lot of money and trouble. The STV now has EH power tubes and a mix of JJ and EH in the preamp. Guitarist I play with uses a Mesa Dual Rec and has all JJ's in it. Sounds good, and they have been trouble free.
I have a pair of EH EL34’s that have no bottom end. I can’t throw them away but I can’t stand their tone.

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
I prefer the EH for power tubes in the SVT, the JJ's seemed, I don't know, flabby? The EH's were tighter in the bottom. My faves in the SVT power section were the old Svetlana 6550's though.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I prefer the EH for power tubes in the SVT, the JJ's seemed, I don't know, flabby? The EH's were tighter in the bottom. My faves in the SVT power section were the old Svetlana 6550's though.
I compared EH and JJ in a Marshall power amp side by side. The EH had a tight top end and cutting mids but that’s about it.
The two together through a stereo cabinet had a noticeable lacking bottom on one side.
I’ve had older Svetlana in a plexi reissue, no complaints.
I played a 77 JMP for many years with 6550’s stock, I don’t know who made the tubes but it was pretty amazing. It got switched to EL34’s but I should have left it as is.

Tah-lee

Reaction score
So, Brimar is actually manufacturing all the tubes currently listed in their catalog? I did not know their machinery was up to speed yet.
I would say they are not manufactured in the U.K. yet because their website says “each time you purchase one of our electron tubes it brings us closer to manufacturing right here in the U.K.”

Latest posts