What Amp Do You Plug Your SG Into?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by guitarweasel, Nov 2, 2008.

1. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

When I play bigger gigs I usually use 2 of these 3.Surprisingly, The Marshall 2203 is the amp I like to use for more clean sounds, it's a 100 watt 6550 powered monster from 1976, one of the loudest Marshall's I've owned, works great with pedals.

[​IMG]

2. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Line6 Spider II 30watt and a Laney GH50L half stack.

[​IMG]

3. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Designed to demolish Old Country Houses here in the UK

First up...... The Matamp GT120

[​IMG]

120 Watts and absolutely Earth Shattering Volume on tap. ;)

Then there is the Trainwreck Express Clone, completely handbuilt from the ground up for me by a dear Friend. And before you ask...... THIS is NO Ceriatone Kit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then..... for the Quieter moments............ All 2 Watts of Meltham Power!! :coolsmiley:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coffee Jar is for scale.

[​IMG]

This lil Beauty is about to go and reside with none other than Strangebrew ;)

4. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Sweet, sweet amps there Lex !!

In my old practice room, a guitarist in an other band sharing the room had one of those (the Green Matamp) , always impressed my how big and badass they looked. How does it sound ? Does it compare to let's say a marshall crunch, or is it a totally unique monster ?

And what about your super one of a kind custom Matamp, that sits under your Trainwreck clone?

5. GhrT

GhrT New Member

That Matamp certainly is a beauty. I bet she delivers 2 watts of pure sound.

6. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Thanks for the Kind Woids Boys......

The Green Matamp sounds exactly as the Original Orange (By Matamp) Heads did. Huge, Thick and Warm Cleans, when pushed with a suitable Pedal they are rather Good as well. :roll:

The One below the Express was my Matamp GT1 fitted with Power Scaling. It was a fantastic Amp in every respect, but it couldn't "quite" do what the GT120 does.

The MiniMat is an absolute treasure. Might only be 2 Watts, but run that through a decent 2X12 ( or of course 4X12) and you'd be stunned. The Attenuator is extremely useful too so that you can tame things when required.

Weas? Both Ron W and I would have to say that he has got at least 95% there with the Express. Glen Kuykendall has used both of his and says they are as close as one can get without becoming totally anal about these things?

I urge you to try one should you happen across one....... You'd be stunned. ;)

7. GhrT

GhrT New Member

[quote author=Lex Lurid link=topic=18054.msg226177#msg226177 date=1231174122]
    I urge you to try one should you happen across one....... You'd be stunned. ;)
    [/quote]
    That's exactly what I'm about to do, at least when I find one. Never seen one around here. :(

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Express is the best marshall you've ever used

9. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Very True Voxy.... Very True.

There was a Real Ken Fischer Trainwreck Express on Craigs List recently.... coff coff.....

Thank Gawd for the Cloners and their undenyable talents. ;)

10. Voxman

Sometimes I play a real one ;) and perhaps soon I'll build one as I have one set of original trannys left ;) the rest is all tuning to Ken's ear and no one really has that although a lot said they do :roll:

11. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Fair comment, I am not going to get drawn into this though. I like what I hear and surely that is good enough. Also.... as stated this was made for me by a very Dear Friend as a Gift, so...... to my mind it would be somewhat churlish to start ripping his work apart, deservedly or not.

I am quite happy enough that several owners of the REAL deal have remarked that these are as close as they have heard.

12. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I've played all three of Lex's amps. That MiniMat is amazing. I was shocked when he cranked it up. It was quite loud pushing a 2x12. The Green Monster was also quite the experience, and the Express was also quite fun. We've discussed the possibility of me borrowing the Greenie for some recording.

I can't wait 'til the Major gets to Boston again. Such a fun bloke to chat amps with.

I can't wait to get across the pond again. Lex is taking me on a field trip.

13. Voxman

No No nothing to get drawn in about ... Matt, my best bud from Indy, and myself used to go over to Kens house in New Joisey and hang with him! ;) [​IMG]

14. revelroy

revelroy Member

through the years, my gigging setup has gotten smaller and smaller. Back in the days when I had a full on road crew, I used to use my early 70s AMPEG V-4 1/2 stack. Crazy loud. NOTHING matches that amp's tone stack. I WISH I could have that amp's tonal quality in a small, light combo. One day, I'll call JESS OLIVER [he's here on Long Island, NY] to see if he can build me one [UNLESS VOXY can help me out here; how 'bout it, man?].

in an effort to make things more portable, I picked up [in 1987] a used 1983 BOOGIE MK-IIc
    hardwood/wicker. loaded with features and versatility. the amp is bulletproof. Gigged with it for a couple of decades but eventually realised that even using the 60 watt setting, it was TOO loud to crank it enough to let the power tubes sing. also heavy like hell.
    I noticed that when you look at alot of the classic rock players doing their gigs, they always seem to have alot of 'smaller' FENDERS onstage mic'd up. So...
    Going down in RMS again, I got a classic 72 silverface DELUXE REVERB. Discovered the joys of TUBE RECTIFICATION [sounds 'dirty' doesn't it?]. Even THAT was sometimes too loud on stage to crank past '7'.
    In an effort to get a more 'vintage tone' I had gotten a PREMIER 120 combo that was DOA, had it fixed, but was disapointed in it's lack of gain and bite. one day I'll try and get it tweaked better.
    Also picked up a couple ot TINY tube amps: '76 fender VIBRO CHAMP, and a similar vintage fender BRONCO [actually IDENTICAL amps, just have differing names.
    6 watts of rectified 6V6 tube heaven!! they are 'cathode biased', 'single ended', and sound SWEET!! they are GREAT for recording, and I actually use them on gigs!! I MIC that amps and run a cord from the other input into an input on the deluxe for some more stage volume as needed and for more bottom end.
    When I didn't want to use a multi amp setup, I use a 1964 blackface princeton reverb,
    and for the past few years, I've been using a cute little beast, a MESA BOOGIE 'SUBWAY ROCKET' first amp w/ EL84 tubes, but no rectifier. VERY portable, loud enough to handle most gigs stage volume [even against marshall half stacks] 10" speaker and can plug into additional cabs if I feel the need to 'move more air'...

15. Miqueas92

Miqueas92 Member

Boogie MKIV 1x12 :D

16. revelroy

revelroy Member

ah.. that MK-IV really started that whole gazillion knob/feature thing [no, actually, it was probably the 60's VOX 'super beatle' amp].
    In principle, I love the idea of all that versatility, but practically speaking I found that kind of stuff too complicated to 'pre-set' for a live situation. easier to tweak pedals on the fly than the amp, cause the tone stack gets to be to interdependant when you alter a knob or two.
    I think that LEO FENDER really 'got it right' when all is said and done.[putting it VERY OVERLY simplisically]

17. tooradavis

tooradavis New Member

[​IMG]

This is it. Modded Valve Junior through a Peavey 4x10 cabinet. Sometimes use the Banana Yellow Boss SD-1. Like the cabinet since it's switchable between two and four speakers. In the future looking to get something with more watts. Hope the image works since I'm kinda new to the forum stuff.

Rich

18. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

VOX ONLY and yes I'm biased towards VOX now.

[​IMG]

19. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=jojo68 link=topic=18054.msg223881#msg223881 date=1228629251]
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]
    Sweet!

I could not find Stonertek amplifier on google, so I keep searching until I apparently found you at Harmony Central forum. That's where I more clearly saw the Mig 100 on it and recognized it to be a Sovtek amp. I ended up getting a used 50watt Marshall JCM800 combo (really like it), but I will not forget trying out a few Sovtek's along the way. Very loud, lots of clean head room and similar to the JCM800.

O0

I don't know much about Orange amps, except they go way back and they rock, similar to old school Marshall amps. Would like to hear a comparison between your amps.

20. blazer

blazer Member

I have a Peavey musician 400, its a monster and under rated at 210 watts with two Traynor Towers 4 by 8's from 1969 I just installed new speakers in both towers and it sounds amazing and my ears start ringing at about 3 on the volume