What Amp Do You Plug Your SG Into?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by guitarweasel, Nov 2, 2008.

1. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=18054.msg232948#msg232948 date=1242573653]
    I've always liked the peavey vintage 30 and I'm an old amp snob cause my ears don't lie to me ;D check one out if you can
    [/quote]

Would that be the late 70s model? Remember hearing one around that time (a Fender tweed knock-off style) and it made the shittiest guitars sound wonderful. ;)

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I've still not had a chance to play one of those dr z amps. I wish my GC carried the Dr Z stuff so I could try it out. Or i wish one of my music buddies had one so I could try it out that way. I've heard alot of good things about the Z amps.

Re the AR/pistol vs amp question... hard choice... would be cool to have both!

[quote author=revelroy link=topic=18054.msg232990#msg232990 date=1242645392]
    I'm going to a rehearsal studio after work today, located in NYC, and they have alot of 'boutique' amps for players to try. It's called ULTRASOUND and they have a website for you all to check out. Anyway, they have that Dr Z that I was posting about previously and i'm lusting after it.. SHITE! I need another amp like a hole in the head.
    I promised myself I'd buy myself an AR-15 and a pistol first...
    [/quote]

3. revelroy

revelroy Member

Voxy, Java, and ORF,
    yep, ultrasound is a nice studio. I've known Jeff West for EONS...
    Yep, the peavey classic 30 looks like a tweedy knockoff, and it's a nice useful amp. not 'great' at anything in particular but pretty darn good for everything ['xcept metal, perhaps] really.
    pistol, AR15, Ruger mini 14... limited funds but want EVERYTHING anyway. laws of economics states it can't be done...

4. marantz1300

marantz1300 Member

This 1974 Hiwatt. It sounds nice and has ample volume. [​IMG]

5. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=marantz1300 link=topic=18054.msg233216#msg233216 date=1243159435]
    This 1974 Hiwatt. It sounds nice and has ample volume. [​IMG]
    [/quote]
    (..ample volume..)
    ;D
    Ya,, for a rock concert. Do you play that rig at home? With or without a power attenuator?

Sweet rig. O0

6. marantz1300

marantz1300 Member

Yes I play it at home .I have some Boogies too and a 1960's 6 watt Scala amp. The Hiwatts the one I play 90% of the time. I mostly use it with a 1x15 Fane cab.You can push the amp harder to reach nice tone at a lower volume then a 4x12. [​IMG]

7. oldrockfan

running a 100 watt hiwatt at home... hope you have very understanding neighbors ;)

I love the tone of those hiwatts, but they are so loud that would never work for my situation. Oh Pete likes them too :)

8. oasis02

oasis02 Member

I just did some swapping for this Victoria Regal II. So far, so good. A LONG way from a 100w Hiwatt. That's beautiful that you can use it at home. I don't think I could be that lucky!

[​IMG]

9. marantz1300

marantz1300 Member

Sweet amp that Victoria.My others . [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=oasis02 link=topic=18054.msg233312#msg233312 date=1243337939]
    [size=10pt]I just did some swapping for this Victoria Regal II. So far, so good. A LONG way from a 100w Hiwatt. That's beautiful that you can use it at home. I don't think I could be that lucky![/size]
    [/quote]
    5-35watts
    Excellent range, use one or both power tubes for home or larger venue! And a sweet cab for hearty 15" speaker.

From the maker's website.
    Cool deal 8)

[size=8pt](note to self, find digital camera and finally show rig)[/size]
    :roll:

11. revelroy

revelroy Member

wow! being able to put in 2 different flavors of power tubes seems VERY cool and versatile.
    how much does one of those amps cost??

12. oasis02

oasis02 Member

They're pretty expensive ($2400-ish). I had purchased a guitar that wasn't working-out, and I didn't care for anything else in their guitar inventory. That's how this came about, it was totally unplanned.

I've done a lot of tube experimenting, and yes, you really can notice the changes in voicing. I grabbed some EL34s to try to go "Marshall", and yes you can hear it. It's naturally voiced like a '59 Bassman, which Marshall used as a base for his initial amps. So, it's not a far stretch to be able to conjure Marshall-esque tones. A 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier would probably seal the deal.

My favorite for the home is a sole 6L6. A sole EL34 is still a little loud for my "audience". I prefer the cleans from the 6L6, and use a Fulltone OCD when riffing. That seems to be a good compromise.

13. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=18054.msg232851#msg232851 date=1242317372]
    I've heard good thingsa bout those laney amps. One of those sleeper brands that not alot of folks know about but reportedly very good quality inside and out. For low wattage, I still love my little badcat 5 watt combo. The vintage 30 they use really is matched up well for it.
    [​IMG]

If I need more power but still want it to be light and easy to carry, I would opt for the Eggnator rebel. I still need to find some good VOS tubes to drop in it but even with stock tubes it is pretty versatile little head. I run it thru a 1x12 closed back cab with a celestion. Kinda a jack of all trades setup.
    [​IMG]

For the rare case where I might be playing for a crowd, I have my trusty marshall 50 watt head with a 1960A half stack. As an over 40 guy, I almost never do gigs anymore and hate to lug around heavy amps so most of the time I will just use the little badcat. Easy to carry and easy to setup, if I need more volume it has this handy little adjustment on the back so I can use any cab I want. Pretty cool feature for a small amp
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

Bad Cats are really nice. I also really like the Egnator Rebel you have. It is maybe the only Egnator I seem to like. I Find them and some Bogners kinda spongy sounding, like because he throws so much junk in them. Too many knobs and channels.

I have a Laney GH50L. Laney tube amps are a nice balance between sparkly Vox amps and Marshalls. I really like mine it is one of the nicests amp you can find out their used for dirt cheap.

14. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

'87 Marshall JCM 800 2205, currently run to a Carvin Legacy cab loaded with V30s & G12T-75s. I'm restoring a '70s Marshall B cab and have MIE Greenbacks ready to go!

[​IMG]

15. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

[quote author=lakehaus link=topic=18054.msg237412#msg237412 date=1249672686]
    '87 Marshall JCM 800 2205, currently run to a Carvin Legacy cab loaded with V30s & G12T-75s. I'm restoring and '70s Marshall B cab and have MIE Greenbacks ready to go!

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

I never see 2205's. How is it? It's a channel switcher right? Do you use the channel switching much. I tend to like simpler amps.

16. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=18054.msg237428#msg237428 date=1249747198]
    I never see 2205's. How is it? It's a channel switcher right? Do you use the channel switching much. I tend to like simpler amps.
    [/quote]

Hey Tenafly - these are pretty common (mine is in a plexi looking cab I built for it), and yes it's a channel switcher. It's a 50w EL34 powered tone beast. I do use each channel - I prefer the "normal", or clean channel with my Strat, and the "boost" channel with my Gibsons. The gain, IMO, is creamy smooth when blended properly with everything else.

I play 60's - 70's rock and blues thru a sleeper Legacy cab ;) loaded with V30s and G12T-75s (great combo for my style). I'm in the middle of restoring an old Marshall B cab and have greenback G12Ms & G12Hs ready to rock it.

17. oldrockfan

Laneys are some solid amps. A real sleeper amp that like he said, you can sometimes find at bargain prices.

18. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Guitars:
    Squire Strat, Ovation Acoustic. Epiphone G400
    (Not shown - Ibanez Bass & Yamaha Acoustic 12 string)

Amps:
    Fender Vibro Champ, Traynor YGM3 (both from mid 70s)

Effects:
    Korg AX5G multi effect that I use mainly with headphone for practice. Keeps peace in the family that way. ;)

MXR Dynacomp into Boss OS2 into Digitech Bad Monkey into DOD Stereo Chorus into MXR Carbon Copy into my Traynor. (Somtimes I take the second out on the chorus pedal and plug it into the Fender so the delay only goes to the YGM3.)

[​IMG]

19. revelroy

revelroy Member

BOTH of those amps are GREAT!!!!
    nice choices!
    I have THREE vibro champs- my original one, then I liked it so much I wanted to have a spare, Then my THIRD one is actually a silverface BRONCO [same exact amp circuit really, but just a different name/faceplate. I dig the fact that it's less common.
    I know a guitarist who plays out if the traynor YBM [bass mate]. great amp!~

20. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=revelroy link=topic=18054.msg237683#msg237683 date=1250108829]
    I dig the fact that it's less common.
    I know a guitarist who plays out if the traynor YBM [bass mate]. great amp!~
    [/quote]

Me too. I like having an amp that ISN'T a Marshall or Vox or (insert common amp here).

Check out [​IMG]. Seems alot of folk like to use the Bass Mate for their guitars. Tone wise I guess it's like a Plexi.