What amp to get

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by WavMixer, May 13, 2016.

1. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

I am possibly looking into getting a tube amp. I don't need copious amounts of wattage as this will get most of it's playing time in my spare bedroom/office.

Criteria is:
    1 - It has to be a tube amp.
    2 - It must be inexpensive but not a POS, used is an option.
    3 -It must have 2 channels so I will be able to use the stereo jack on my guitar and split the cord into two separate channels each with it's own volume. One channel for magnetic pickups and a second channel for the piezo with the ability to blend between the two.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

3. WavMixer

Nice, but not inexpensive.

4. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

I do like all the demos i've heard of Panama amps.

Also keep an eye out for Peavey Classic 30s or 50s. They are loud, but inexpensive and reliable. I've picked up a C30 and a C50 for $250 each. And another C50 was $320. That's assuming a clean and a lead channel work for what you want to do. The clean channel on C30/50s is freaking amazing for pedals.

If you will be switching from one to the other, you could actually use a Fender Ramparte. I'm not sold on the hot channel but the cool channel is classic Fender clean with great crunch tone etc. Both channels are on at the same time, so you'd need a way to switch to one or the other I guess. Not sure how you're planning on doing that. You can find them used for <$300 as well.

5. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Also there are less expensive Panamas btw. Not sure if any are two channel though.

6. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool Esg . yeah I was going to say trying to find a cheap two channel tube amp isn't going to be that easy most are 1 channel but Esg has found one which is actualy two 5 watt amps combined pretty cool
    as I said/ most two channel tube amps are going to be usauly atleast 15 watt and pricey
    here is a very good alternative in my opinion.

eS.G. and zisme like this.
  7. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

One of my favorite

[​IMG]

8. WavMixer

Actually I would prefer two clean channels because I can add dirt with pedals. I'm wondering if I can use a home stereo amp and two separate speaker cabs, but then it would be SS and not tubes :(

I guess that I can always put one channel into my Mustang and the other into my Blackstar. No tubes involved this way, but it does fit into my budget very well.

RVA and ScottMarlowe like this.
  9. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

These are an amazing amp for the price and there is a very large thread on another forum with lots of mods...

You can easily get this for the starting bid of $160 and with shipping they are to your door for $210

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silkyn-SUPE...231716?hash=item33b737fc64:g:ykcAAOSwFnFV8fYj

I bought one and am considering another just because...oh and they have an Eminence Legend Speaker.

You can read about them here..

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/351961-i-bought-tube-combo-amp.html

10. WavMixer

Well Frank, you got me thinking... smell the wood burning? What if I got a Tiny Terror, Celestion 12, some wood, wire, casters, metal corner pieces and built my own cabinet? Once upon a time back in the 80's I use to build and install car audio equipment and I have built speaker cabs for sub woofers. I have a frequency generator that I have not touched in 20+ years that I can use to tune the cab for optimal frequency response. If the project works, I could do it all again and I would have my 2 channel amplification system. Used Micro Terror - $90. New Celestion G12M Greenback - $125, misc wood, parts and stuff - $100. $300 for a one channel amp. Do it twice and $600... Dayum I thought this would be a cheap way to do it. :(

11. WavMixer

I was just checking this out Sp8ctre. Seems like the same guy is selling one for $160 + shipping and another ad for $239 free shipping, both with the same picture. He also has a foot pedal for $25. Another guy has one with red knobs for $699. I was not planning on jumping into this right now, only exploring my options. The DIY cab and micro terror are looking better as a future project.

12. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

13. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Having a piezo equipped guitar myself, I strongly suggest that you get the mag amp of your choice and then get an acoustic type amp. I got the Fishman Loudbox. As for the mag amp, I got an amazimg deal on a B stock classic 50 ($400 instead of $ 800). If you like, I will dig up the seller.

I know this may not fit your budget, but it is worth waiting for. Admittedly, laziness often leads me to play the blended pups from one amp, but when I use both on either side of me, it is magical. Also, the acoustic effect is vastly superior.

Gibsg likes this.
  14. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

You may want to see if you can try out an old Gibson Lab Series amp. Known as a favorite tool of BB King, it's capable of the two channel function you describe. Although it is not a tube amp, it is an amazingly tube like solid state sleeper amp.

I also have one of the Silkyns, mentioned above, and I've been extremely happy with it.

15. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

The Tom Anderson Crowdster has the same output format.
    These videos may help with deciding on your setup.

Gibsg likes this.
  16. WavMixer

Like WOW :wow:

Those are indeed some eargasmic tones. I can only aspire to play that well some day! nice guitar, nice gear, fantabulous playing.

17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

18. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

Guy selling for $699 is trying to scam by putting the red knobs on and making people think it may be another amp...

The low price guy is legit. He bought the entire lot from the guy who designed the amp and went bust. All the people I know who bought one got the foot pedal with the amp for free...

19. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

20. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

I bought the "$160 plus shipping" deal, and yes...it came with a foot switch.
    I was planning to mod the heck out of it, but all I've managed to do is change the power tubes, bias, put my pedal board out in front of it, and play the hell out of it. I don't use the dirt channel at all...clean channel only for me, as I like my dirt pedals(especially my homebrew muff for the Silkyn...occasionally pushed by a homebrew tube screamer...awesomeness, and bliss).
    The Silkyns only have one input though...you're gonna need two to do what you describe wanting to do.
    ...unless you do the blending out front with pedals on the electric side for any dirt, and whatever you want to dress up your piezo side....then blend them back together with something like a Boss LS-2. Kinda like some bass players do when they mix a bit of fuzz with their clean to maintain a solid foundation.

Sp8ctre likes this.