What amp to get

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by WavMixer, May 13, 2016.

1. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

About 22Hx20Wx10D

2. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

I don't know what you think is "way down"...but it does sound OK at around 1 1/2 - 2 on the clean channel. I play with my band at anywhere between 3 - 4 1/5 pushing two 12inch speakers pointed right at the drummer until he cries...of course I have a partner in crime using a Peavey Classic 50 in the same manner...but I digress.... The Silkyn really starts to sing right around 3 1/2 when pushed by an overdrive pedal. It is not a quiet playing amp(it is quiet at idle though...no major hum or hiss).

I'm sure this has not been very helpful, but it's kind of subjective.

3. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Well I might have traded it for the voodoo queen, but you kicked her to the curb. :rofl:

eS.G. likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If it's too loud, just get an attenuator or ... turn it against the wall and crank it. Is it a closed back cab ?

eS.G. likes this.
  5. thatbastarddon

Screened oval cut out in the back.

6. WavMixer

Here is how I'm gonna do it. Yesterday when I was reading that killer long thread regarding the amp over at MLP, Mrs Wav walked in and asked "what are you doing?" and when I started to tell her the story, she said "I don't need the details, it's just more guitar stuff is good enough". Mrs Wav has been wanting to try this restaurant so tonight I took her there :naughty:. During our dinner I mentioned about how much it cost for Mothers Day and her mom's birthday that she was happy for me to spend my hard earned money. Then I mentioned that my birthday was coming up and I felt that I deserved just as nice ($$$) of a birthday treat. I then reminded her about the amp thread and told her I know you have no interest in my guitar stuff but... Then I proceeded to tell her how is was a good deal that I could not pass up and this is what I want for my birthday. She rolled her eyes and finished enjoying the dinner I took her out to. Problem solved, no need to sneak it in the house. I'll actually have to borrow her car to get it home as I don't think it will fit in my lil' rice grinder. :thumb:

Gahr, Bettyboo, DrBGood and 1 other person like this.
  7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Smooth Grant real smooth ;)

8. Sp8ctre

Yea, I tried all that butter up routine and the why I need it route in the past...it never worked with my wife...so I have my own stash money and I sneak things in...some say you shouldn't have to, but I've been with the wife for 34 years so I know what works for us...

ninjaking67, WavMixer and frankd like this.
  9. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Finding and or building a cab down the road is still a very good idea . Having atleast one if not two or three
    good cabs is half of the amp battle once you have a good cab then finding a amp head here and there
    is a lot less expensive than getting combos . And having different speakers is a lot of sound difference
    I was playing my BH15 thru a Gh12 anni all morning switched to the Bh15 combo with greenback
    and its the same amp but what a lot of difference between the sound in just the speaker change alone
    with same guitar and pedal. You should be happy with your new amp combo but building are getting a cab would be my next move it will pay off in spades in the long run.

Bettyboo and WavMixer like this.
  10. WavMixer

Most of the time she does not notice anything I get. Case in example is an Agile AL2000 hanging on the wall where there was a never a guitar hanger before or the office floor covered with pedals. BUT... We have grandkids... Observant grandkids... Observant grand kids with big mouths and loud voices. The 12 year old who was living with us for a couple of years walks into the office and says "wow grandpa, you got a new guitar!" We traded him for his older brother who is louder and more observant. Ain't sneaking things past the grandkids. :squint:

DrBGood, Bettyboo and Sp8ctre like this.
  11. WavMixer

Now I'm just waiting for Johnny & Adrian to chime in "Do it Wav"

What I do know is I have a set of P-90s and a set of PAFs from Tyson Tone arriving next week and a whole new guitar arriving whenever it's done. Can't wait to hear them all through tubes. I guess perhaps I should order some tubes now too :hmm:

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Sp8ctre likes this.
  12. Sp8ctre

Unfortunately all my grandkids live 1000's of miles away...military brats...I try real hard to see them all at least once a year...

I went overboard decorating my office with autographed pictures of my favorite artists...my wife just noticed today...thankfully she has no idea how much authentic autographed merchandise costs...I was really lucky last year and got Lemmy and Johnny Winter before they passed away...I'd love to find a nice Frank Zappa, but he didn't sign a lot and the prices are through the roof, I had to settle for Dweezil...

WavMixer likes this.
  13. Sp8ctre

New tubes are going to be a must...at least the set of 6L6...

14. WavMixer

Can you point me in the right direction of where to buy them and what to ask for to get a matched set?

15. thatbastarddon

16. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

tubes

cabs

heads

I can see this great value amp is gonna be leading Wav on quite a shopping spree. But, a nice amp, when it's available, should be bought. I still really regret not buying the Fender Vaporizer blowout for $250 - now they just are not available to me. :(

Go Wav!

17. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Tube depo always has sales if you sign up for their emails. They are also very accessible for phone calls where they will make recommendations for your amp and desired tone.

I will now selfishly take this opportunity to once again crow bar in my suggestion that you look for an acoustic amp, like the Fishman Loudbox, to pair this with. Once you hear the difference, you will know why I insisted.

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  18. WavMixer

BTW, I have also done the old sneakaroo routine. :h5:

Sp8ctre likes this.
  19. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

the Blackheart Amps and speaker cabinets are built like tanks.i got a BH110 speaker cabinet and a BH112 cabinet

20. WavMixer

Amp is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Sp8ctre will be helping me to set up the bias on the new tubes. Oh happy day

thatbastarddon likes this.