What amp to get

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by WavMixer, May 13, 2016.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

WavMixer likes this.
  2. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

It's a piece of cake on the Sylkins, once you get used to it, and find an appropriate tool for adjusting the bias pot. It can be done with the chassis partway out of the cab. He knows the drill though.
    What did you get for tubes?
    Don't forget to post the last three of the serial on the other thread. :cheers:

3. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Matched pair of JJ 6L6GC from Antique Electronic Supply for $33.90 are on there way! :h5:

Sp8ctre and thatbastarddon like this.
  4. WavMixer

I'm looking forward to hearing those new Tyson Tone P-90s through this Sylkin [​IMG] :h5:

5. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

Let me know when you have the amp and the tubes and we'll figure out a day and time...don't get anxious and run the new tubes without biasing them...

jtcnj likes this.
  6. WavMixer

I will burn the new amp in as is and test it till you get back in June. We shall run no new tubes until it is time. :h5:

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Sp8ctre likes this.
  7. thatbastarddon

He isn't kidding at all. Mine were biased "pretty hot" out of the box...like 87% (edit: I just checked my original set up notes)dissipation if I remember correctly. Oh, and my V1 12ax7 was so loose that it was ready to fall out.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  8. WavMixer

FedEx tracking shows that the amp is in Los Angeles and will be delivered today :D

So what is the correct burn in process? I know I need to check and make sure the speaker and tubes are tight and I will be remounting the speaker and replacing the power tubes. But for now what is the burn in process? Turn the amp on and leave it on standby for 24 hours?

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  9. Sp8ctre

Do the post delivery checks you already mentioned. Make sure all the tubes are mounted securely as well as the speaker. Be gentle with the tubes, don't force them in the sockets too hard.
    Make sure the pins are lined up and kind of wiggle them as you push them in (if any came loose).

I'm not a huge believer in any special "burn in" process. Since you'll be changing the power tubes out in 2 weeks those Sovtek 6L6 won't get burned in anyway.

What is important is the biasing.

If a tube is biased with too high current it will run hot and shorten the life of the tube. If the tube is biased too cold it may cause the amp to sound bad and could create distortion.

Worst case scenario is current flow is so high on the tube it goes "Red Plate" and cause so much heat it damages other components on the board. I don't think anyone who bought a
    Silkyn has had that happen though...

Leave the back off the amp when you open it to check on the speaker mounting. Turn it on, watch the tubes, see if one is significantly brighter than the other. If you can't see the tubes
    well or judge how bright they are turn off the lights for a moment.

Play through the amp at low to mid volume levels. May sound good, may sound bad. Tubes and speakers break in with use, no need to just run the amp in standby IMO.

Be Careful when the amp is open and plugged in. There are lethal voltages in there!

10. WavMixer

I hope that the box fits in my car so I can bring it home tonight! Otherwise I need to commandeer my wife's PT Cruiser tomorrow.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  11. gball

gball Well-Known Member

So, for the worst advice ever, I say just plug it in and go. I have been playing through tube amps for almost 40 years and have never babied them. Hell, I usually just slap new tubes in 'em when need be without any regard to biasing, etc., which I don't necessarily recommend, but at worst I have had a tube or two die prematurely. A properly designed amp is very resilient and can stand up to many years of gigging without any "special" treatment other than making sure the tubes are seated correctly and the impedance is matched to the load. In my actual gigging days when I used Marshall half-stacks I wasn't even aware of things like biasing, and when I got a new amp it went straight into high-volume use.

12. Sp8ctre

I would agree had I not seen the test results on so many of these amps with stock 6L6 Sovteks...when one tube is drawing 17ma of current and the other is drawing 48ma you have a problem that could result in damage to other components on the board. I think he should fire it up and play it, but with caution and keeping a good eye on the power tubes at the start...

gball likes this.
  13. WavMixer

I just loaded it into the back seat of my car :D
    Y'all should not expect to see me posting here tonight!!! :dude:

Sp8ctre, eS.G. and thatbastarddon like this.
  14. thatbastarddon

One box of loud...to go!
    I pulled the back off of mine to unpack the foam that was in it for shipping. I addressed the shoddy speaker mounts, and re-mounted the speaker. Then I checked the tubes for tightness, and proper install.... Then I let the amp idle for about 30 minutes before checking bias. The capacitors have been sitting in these things since 2007-2008, so they should have some current through them for a bit to re-form.playing is not bad though...

15. Sp8ctre

Just want to see your thoughts tomorrow after a night of playing around...enjoy!

16. DrBGood

Not so loud Wav, I can't hear myself type over here.

17. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

That's actually good advice for any new tube amp, watching the power tubes to make sure none are red plating when you turn it on and playit for the first time. I recommend putting the amp up on a stand of some kind, facing away from you, so you have a really good, clear view of the tubes while playing.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  18. DrBGood

Forget it Scott, he's gone deaf ... can't read.

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  19. WavMixer

090030 checking in!

thatbastarddon and Sp8ctre like this.
  20. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

ROCKIT!!!!!!!!!!!! wake the neighbors and make their ears BLEEEEEEEEED