What amp to get

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by WavMixer, May 13, 2016.

1. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Speaker had some black screws and a silver screw only half way screwed in. I could see where the tape on the box and been cut open and then new tape reapplied, but not totally covering over the cut tape. It sounds nice to my ears, much better than the Mustang 1 I have been playing with for the past five years. Serial number is 090030. now that I'm done with my 1st observations, it's time to go back and play some more.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

We told you.
    Now you have your fingers caught in the Tube Amp Wheel and it's turning, grinding, spinnig, pulling you in as I type this.
    Mustang baby is about to take a hike. Pedal GAS comin'.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of tubes.

3. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Tube Amp Addiction: and so it begins!!! Grant you have no idea the threshold you have crossed! As the man said:
    "Abandon all hope ye who enter here"
    MUAAHAHAHH!!!!

would you guys say this is like a What? I read most of the thread but didnt come away with a clear impression other than a positive one with a little tinkering and new tubes.

By the way I bought all my tubes from Tube Depot with much, but not all the parts for my builds. As usual shipping is a factor until you hit their $100 threshold for free shipping. I have JJ 6v6 in the 5e3 and a Tung Sol 6v6 in the 5f1 with JJ 12ax7 in both (JJ 12ay7 at 5e3 v1)

I think for that price I might have to buy one, but I am more looking for marshall 18w el84 flavor.

How would you all describe the cleans? Fendery in general? More Blackface or Bassman, or.....
    Swinging toward early Marshall JTM45 (Bassman variant) territory?

I have 2 tweed builds and what I want to build / add is the 18w, and a Princeton Reverb Blackface variant more for the Fender cleans and surfy reverb. Nice cleans with my Biyang reverb pedal might work though.

I couldn't justify the great deals I have found lately on a MIM tele, then a PRS soapbar ii to the wife, but she knows I'm gonna be expanding in the amp dept.

I have an Eminence legend GB128 on order for a 1x12 cab build as I too had decided to do heads from here on in.

sound Clips from all you guys, C'mon!!!

4. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I just put a bid on the one that is up for $160 ending in 10hr.

WavMixer likes this.
  5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

what... still no pics?

6. 67plexi

67plexi Well-Known Member

Hope it works out for you what I did get was designed in USA made in ??? Note the rear baffle board is limited for tube cooling

7. WavMixer

Gee ORF, I thought nobody was ever going to ask :thumb:

full.jpg lable.jpg screw.jpg

oldrockfan likes this.
  8. WavMixer

My initial observations are that the clean channel is nice. The dirt channel sounds dirty :naughty: and the reverb does not seem to be working. I need to check the reverb spring, lubricate and check to see what others have done to fix it. I do have a nice pedal to use for reverb so it's not a deal breaker. This amp does not improve my playing ability... not at all. My playing still sucks, it just sucks a lot louder now with the help of the louder knob.

JohnnyGoo and Sp8ctre like this.
  9. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

I had to completely remove my reverb, open it up and play around with the springs. After that it works fairly well, not great but good enough for me...

10. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

It could be the bag or cardboard is touching the springs and stopping them from vibrating.

11. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Looks like there is a gap at the top of the rear panel where the speaker cable comes up. that should allow some convection venting.

On another post it is suggested to mount the tank on the side of the cab, but I think that was more a hum reducing measure.

12. WavMixer

I was wondering about placing a computer style fan or two inside to help with ventilation. Perhaps one intake and one exhaust?

13. DrBGood

That might translate in unwanted static noise.

Is the back completely closed up ? If so, I would cut off like 2 or 3 inches from top and bottom of the back pannel. The air will circulate from bottom to top and out. Better still, 6" from bottom and slide it down 3". Like that you get to keep the factory Tolex at the top of the pannel. Try to keep some extra at the bottom, to reglue it on the bottom cut.

Before opening up the reverb tank, do you have a footswitch you can try. Maybe it just needs to be switched on. If no footswitch, a regular speaker cable should do. Insert one end plug in the footswitch jack and short the other end of the cable. It should trigger the on/off.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  14. WavMixer

It comes with a pedal and two stomp switches. One for dirt one for reverb. There are also knobs on the amp to set the level of reverb and dirt

15. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

The back is not completely closed, but some people have had heat problems. They did as you suggest and cut the back down or enlarged the opening.

My reverb was just kind of stiff from all the years in storage. When I removed the tank and played with the springs it loosened up nicely.

As for fans, I'd say no, too much noise unless you found a real small quiet one to blow directly on the output tubes...

16. WavMixer

I've seen the mod to cut a couple of inches off from the top of the back panel. I also have some very quite whisper fans from computers. I was thinking of opening the top a couple inches as well as place a fan over the factory opening to suck air in and force it out the new top opening. I can zip-tie the fan in place to see if it makes any noise. If it does make noise it will be easy enough to remove it and still have the added 2" gap. If it does not make noise, I just might have the coolest Silkyn of them all :fingersx:

Sp8ctre likes this.
  17. DrBGood

Don't get it too cold, it's good to be hot sometimes.

18. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

Don't open the top! Thats where the dangerous bits are hidden!
    I like the "make the back panel shorter by an inch" look. A mod like that should be equivalent to the vent in the top of my Dual Rec head. My 1989ish Laney 50watt head has less vent area than that, and it is still running ok.

I've not experienced any excessive heat issues yet, and I tend to run it for 2-3 hours at a time.
    The oval cut out, and the gap at the baffle in front(hidden by the velcro attached grill-cloth panel) seem to keep things cool enough for me.

19. gball

gball Well-Known Member

My Budda came stock with a cooling fan that blows on the output tubes. I am thinking about installing an on/off switch for it because at lower volumes you can definitely hear it at times, and at those volumes it isn't really needed. At high volume it makes sense, and obviously they wouldn't include one if they didn't think it needed it.

20. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Classic 50s have the same thing, their fan blows first across the power tubes then is channeled over the preamp tubes after that. Makes a big difference in keeping that amp cool for hours of use. And it's whisper quiet too. I can't hear it over the sound of the general background noises of life.