What amp to get

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by WavMixer, May 13, 2016.

1. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Mine should be here sometime next week!!
    This is a good mod opportunity for me, or at least I know I can handle any repairs or debugging.
    After sorting any initial issues, next is the addition of a master volume.

Since I will be ordering a matched pair of 6L6GC, I'll probably add a 12AT7 to put in the reverb driver spot and make resistor or cap value changes accordingly.

this will be my first fixed / LPT PI so Ill need to learn how to measure and set the bias current.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    WavMixer likes this.
  2. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Mine took two days to arrive. I played it the day I got it, but have had pressing issues at home that have prevented me from playing any more. However... Weekends were made for cranking amps (sung to the tune of weekends were made for Michelob). My 6L6GCs are due to arrive at my work on Saturday so I won't see those until Monday.

jtcnj likes this.
  3. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Im on the other coast so; expecting a wait.
    I will dull the pain of wai-ai-ting (the hardest part) by cranking the others.

I'm going to wait until I give it the once over to order tubes.

In other news, the seller I got the Eminence GB128 from, received damaged, credited me and said dont bother sending it back. I will use it as a template for the baffle of the cab I am building.
    I'll try to straighten the frame and try playing the damaged cone like the Kinks or Link Wray used to slit the cones for some ragged distortion.

Making lemonade I suppose...

4. WavMixer

What does jtcnj stand for? Perhaps your initials JTC and nj for New Jersey?

5. WavMixer

Woo hoo!!! The tubes arrived a day early!!! One pair of JJ 6L6GC apex matched, Current 95 Transcond 6750. I know what the current means but have no idea what Transcond is.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

When Current goes through you for 95 nano seconds, you get Transconded 6750 times. So watch out for your brain cells.

7. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

Do not let the current go through you...you will drop your guitar and forget the words to the song...ask me how I know...

jtcnj likes this.
  8. WavMixer

What brain cells? I'm a product of the 70's and 90's. Brain cells were fried a long time ago.

9. WavMixer

Please don't teach me that song when we meet up in a few days :wow:

Sp8ctre likes this.
  10. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

No worries...I only needed to learn that one once...not going to make you learn it...it was a terrible song...

WavMixer likes this.
  11. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Ru-roh, my cover is blown. Yep, I'm not all that creative.

12. WavMixer

I guess that y'all may not know what the front looks like...

[​IMG]

13. DrBGood

AHHHH ! ! ! Merci.

14. WavMixer

I spent the afternoon today breaking in the amp. I took the reverb out of the bag and just laid it in the bottom of the amp. It works, but not very well. I haven't tried a reverb pedal on it yet, perhaps tomorrow. I need to clean my office up to make room for the new amp. I don't know if I'm gonna stack the Mustang on top or leave them on opposite sides of the room. My new guitar that tonedragon is building will have a stereo jack, one channel for the magnetic pups and one channel for the piezo. I will use a stereo cord into the guitar and split it into two mono channels. One channel will go into the mustang and the other channel will go into the pedals then into the Silkyn. If I stack the amps I'll have room to hang the new guitar on the wall. If I split the amps up I'll get a nice stereo effect, but one of my guitars may have to live in the case. That would be Burla because I don't have cases for any of the others accept my acoustic which already lives in my car.

FWIW, I was afraid that this amp would be too loud... Well it's not. Mind you I have not turned the volume all the way up on my guitar and amp yet, I value my ability to hear. However it does clean very well and does dirty fairly well at tolerable volume levels.

ultra80096, Bettyboo and Sp8ctre like this.
  15. DrBGood

So now you'll play not better, but in stereo, twice not better. Still fun though !

16. WavMixer

Twice as bad! :lol:

Bettyboo and eS.G. like this.
  17. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

You may notice a change when you dial in the new power tubes.:dude:

Sp8ctre likes this.
  18. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

"Twice not better" that is SOOO my style of playing

19. WavMixer

Dood, you so need to get one of these. If you don't you'll be kicking yerself in tha arse for years to come. If you do, you'll enjoy it for a while, then flip it to at least double your investment when these are all gone. I've been watching the serial numbers from people buying them and they seem to be going down as if they started stacking them against a wall with the lowest number 1st. Mine is #30 and at the rate they are selling, 10 per week, they may only be selling for another couple of weeks. No, you can't have mine!

Sp8ctre likes this.
  20. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WHile I can appreciate the potential for a good flip:naughty:-----I have run into major issues with what was to be a minor home repair originally.
    The wooden stairs that led into the front door of the house had rotted wood --even treated wood-- does not last long in average 90% humidity....when I removed the old stairs and deck/railings yesterday----the REAL problem arose.
    The wall behind the vinyl siding ---all around the front door---frame.....and a 2' tall stretch about 10 feet wide under & around the living room windows is ALL ROTTED. --- contractor guestimate is 3 grand or more...if the rot we see is ALL that is needing replaced(that price could easily double if this is a structural issue and studs and supports are compromised.....
    COULD do it myself for half that ----but not certain I have the time to go removing the entire front wall of the house and rebuilding it....would take me a min., of a week or more by myself, and my new job= no vacation time.
    Com. Sales means --yes I can take the time --(no one is WATCHING me) ---but if I am not WORKING I am not making $ ....so its a hell of quandary that doesn't involve any gear buying anytime soon. :(:mad:
    As a matter of fact some gear "purging" might be in my near future .......:wow: