What amps do you like?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by 68GibsonSG, Feb 12, 2005.

?

Do you like solid-state amplifiers?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 1:28 AM.
  1. Yes

75.3%
  2. That's crap

16.9%
  3. I dont really care

7.9%
  1. 70GibsonSG

70GibsonSG New Member

I use a Boss GT 6 with mine which really sounds awesome... The Acoustic 260 has a fuzz effect built right into the amp, but it really sounds nasty... the amp also has controls for modeling marshall vox and other amps... Maybe the first modeling amp.. :dude:

I also use a small Marshall vs100 combo amp...

2. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

dbb - That two stage gain control works very well. It is quite easy to blend just the right amount of gain to get the tone you want. Of course it basically always sounds like a Marshall.. If you read about the settings for example from Vintage Modern forum, it seems that the majority of VM users prefer settings where the "detail" is about 2 to 3 notches above "body". Then the sound is nice and grunchy. If you set body above detail, it may sound a bit too dark or even muddy.

This Youtube video gives quite a good idea the tone of the VM:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjs14AEk12c"]Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 - YouTube[/ame]

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video demo. Actually I was surprised by the clean sound when he did "Sultans", I'm not used to hearing Marshall clean tones! But the crunch was very, uh, Marshal-esque indeed.

Nice amp design, using the old and new together in a player-friendly fashion.

4. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

well, my 0.02€...

My favorite rig is a Fender tube amp + an TS808 type overdrive... Why? Becouse you always get more or less 'your' sound, regardless of the venue.

Live I have also used Marshall JMP master volume, which is totally awesome (but cant afford to buy one).
    Also used a JCM 800, but I cant get a good sound out of it, while everybody does (it's the other way around when i let others use my Red Knob Twin - guess you need quite some time to tweak it).

As far as SS amps go, I totally dig my Marshall G50RCD. Note, that's not a newer MG series amp, which is totally different and I dont like at all. Also the 80w and 100w G series didn't sound too good.

I use my G50 regularly in band practice (to save the tubes :) ), and while drive channel simply sux at anything louder than bedroom practice,
    the clean channel sounds suprisingly warm for a SS and takes pedals really well.
    And it's just loud enough for a semi-loud rock band, as long as it's elevated up to about chest level.

5. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Ooh!
    The VM50 in that vidio really can go in a lot of
    different directions. By no means a one trick pony.
    Niiiiice.

6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Really, for a Marshall I was impressed too with the versatility. Marshall has always oozed rock overdrive tone, but like you I had them pegged as a one-trick pony. Not so evidently.

You have to hand it to Jim Marshall, he really did try make a quality product.

7. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Yes he did. Now that he is making amplifiers up there I hope the
    bean counters don't take over and send his complany into the sewer.

8. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

And also the VM responses very well to the guitar volume knob. You can alter the tone quite a bit on distorted-clean -axis by just rolling the volume knob. If I would have to select only one of those two in the photo, the JCM 800 2204 would leave. I really like and prefer the versatility of the VM.

9. old mark

old mark Active Member

I played ONLY tube amps for about 30 years, then recently got an old US made Peavey SS amp. I love it-bought 2 more Peavey SS amps, and later bought a 11974 Peavey Vintage tube amp, so I have the best of both.

I have a Peavey Studio Pro 40, a Bandit 75 Watt, and a Renown 400 watt 2x12, all mid 1980's. Also have a 30 watt bass amp, a Peavey SS from the 80's.

They make great amps, and I really like their older US made guitars, too...they are very under rated.

mark

10. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I have a Classic 30 with a Jensen P12Q alnico in it.

11. Rozman62

Rozman62 Member

Nothing but tube amps for me. Preference is Marshalls. I have a small Blackstar that breaths fire. I do use a lunchbox size GK ML250 SS amp for a backup. I only had to use it once the past year which was about 40 gigs. Servicing tube amps with regularity is the key to there reliability. The Vox AC30 may likely be my next tube amp.

12. tonedragon

tonedragon New Member

For me the only marshall i had died. Suprise. It wasis solid state. Current amps i still own that have not died are.
    68' fender bandmaster
    92 Solando hot rod.......worth every damn cent!!!
    90's Mesa Boogie DC3

13. Bobbyb

Bobbyb New Member

Main amp I use is a Tophat Club Royale. I've had it for about 10 years and I have and use some other amps but that one always is my main. It's supposedly a Vox AC30 type rebuild, and it does have a lot of Vox character, although it also has some really nice barky hiwatt & JTM45 characteristics that I dig.

I've got an old 60s Bassman head that I love the sound of but it's a bit busted and in need of a cap job right now so it's out of commission. I'm holding off on it because I'm going to get a local amp maker that does some pretty cool mods to rewire the bass channel for me.

For sitting around the house practicing, or band practices where there's not drums, I've been using the Tech 21 Trademark 30. Amazing little amp. The reverb leaves a bit to be desired, not sure if that steps up on the TM60, but either way...I'd have gotten it if it didn't even have reverb.

And then usually for recording at home, I use a Mesa Boogie Studio Pre. Still in love with those things.

For me and my tastes on amps, I'm pretty basic on sound. I know a lot of people look for lots of versatility with amplifiers, but I look more for a versatile sound. In that with one amp sound + a boost or tubescreamer thing I can be set. I play several different kinds of music in several different outfits, so to me that's why I love those amps that seem like they could be at home in country, r&b, hard rock, or whatever. Twins, AC30s, classic Mesas, etc.. there's lots of them out there.

Two amps I'm really jonesing for these days is a Fender Princeton Reverb (love Fender amps) and a Tophat Emplexador (plexi style amp). Although I can't really think of any good reason to have the Tophat other than just to be loud in the garage with. Sure would be fun if I had some unlimited funds though.

14. Bobbyb

Bobbyb New Member

Great piece. Thought about getting one of those or a Delta Blues one of these days. Not crazy about the look of the new ones though, where the logo curves down.