What are these pickups?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Witnot, Apr 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Witnot

Witnot New Member

I have a '63 SG I bought in '84. These pickups were on it. Any idea what they are or how I can find out? Were P90s the original on the '63? Thanks IMG_5528 copy.JPG

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

That guitar would have had P90s in it as stock. Those might be Dimarzios, I recall them having pickups that look like that. Best way to check is look on the bottom of them at your next string change, there should be some sort of markings.

Witnot likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Looks a DiMarzio P90 Super Distortion.
    It's a P-90 size Humbucker.

Bridge looks like a Leo Quan Badass.
    My first SG was a 1969 SG Special.
    It had a Leo Quan Badass installed.

[​IMG] .

A few years ago I had a completely stock 1963 SG Special with original P-90's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Bijou Drains and Chuteboxehero like this.
  4. Witnot

Witnot New Member

Thanks! I just looked up that bridge...yep, that's what it looks like. Big in the '70s. Kind of a drag to find out it was changed out. Why would someone do that? What's the advantage?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. Witnot

Witnot New Member

I just looked up the pickups too. You're right. I have no problem with these pickups, but I wish I could hear how the originals sound.

6. cerebral gasket

The Leo Quan Badass bridge can easily be replaced with either an original or vintage repro compensated lightning bar wraparound. The theory behind the Leo Quan Badass is that the adjustable saddles allow for better adjustment of the intonation.

My favorite pup combo for an SG Special is a stock P-90 at the neck for cleans and a P-90 size Humbucker at the bridge for hi gain use without 60 cycle hum. I've got that configuration in both of my SG Classics. The bridge pup is a stacked humbucker, so it looks like a stock P-90 from the outside. It's a sleeper.

[​IMG]

Bijou Drains and ruster1 like this.
  7. Witnot

Witnot New Member

Oh that looks great, so you get a nice sharpness when you want it and also the throaty Humbucker. Very cool. Do you also do the split humbucker?

8. cerebral gasket

No split humbucker on mine.
    I prefer a fatter sound at the bridge.

Are yours set up with coil spits?

9. Witnot

Witnot New Member

Yeah, I got the pull-up volume knobs

10. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

That '63 Special looks amazing! On a side note I'm guessing the Leo Quan Badass bridge upgrade was very popular in its day as my '67 Special also has one along with many other SGs I've come across from that era. Not the prettiest bridge but my intonation is dead on. If I had a stock replacement bridge I would probably put it back on and deal with whatever issues I may or may not have in the future with intonation. That's strictly based on aesthetics. Also to the OP I'd love to hear what those Super Distortion sound like. First time I've seen those in the P-90 size. All around nice looking set up you have there.

cerebral gasket and Witnot like this.
  11. Witnot

Witnot New Member

I don't really use them, but I'm going to explore them a bit more. Split one but not the other

12. Witnot

Witnot New Member

Yeah, after a little research I saw that the bridge was popular in the 70s and, as I bought it in the early 80s it kinda makes sense. I've never had a problem with the sound of the pickups or the intonation and I don't see myself selling it for any reason (will probably pass it on when the time comes) so I'm not really into restoration. Thanks for your input. BTW, I love to see the look on people's faces when they play it. There's always a slow appreciative smile and head nodding.

13. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I had similar on a DC I had bought. They were GFS and didn't stay long, P90 were rushed in.

Pickups GFS Soapbar 180 Vintage.jpg

14. Scott Hutchens

Scott Hutchens New Member

Witnot likes this.
  15. Witnot

Witnot New Member

Thanks for this info. I looked into them and the description of their tone is right on. I guess I'm going to go ahead and pop them off and take a look underneath. Just for curiosity sake, I have no intention of changing them out.

16. Witnot

Witnot New Member

When were GFS first made? I can't find that info anywhere?

17. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Great looking piece of history there.. dont worry about the upgrades so much as it can certainly be put back to stock quite easily unless you want to find "period correct pups" as that will cost some money for sure.. I personally notice that your badass has quite a bit of the bass side screw out but yet still some travel on the E string saddle backward.. you might consider setting it up by pulling that adjustment screw in closer to the stud and setting the saddles back toward the rear. I have found with the badass bridges that they tend to tilt upward the more they sit away from the stud.. just a suggestion from first glance.. my badass tends to tilt forward the further away from the stud it sits.. it seems like you have some room to put the saddles back even further and pull the bridge closer to the stud without affecting the treble side too much.. Thanks for posting.. please give us some more of the body and neck if you get a chance as it looks in very good condition.. !!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  18. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Not a clue. Why ?

19. Bijou Drains

Bijou Drains Member

Sweet! I love a wolf in sheep’s clothing!

20. Billthedrumarist

Billthedrumarist New Member

Idont