What case to get?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by sinistrello, Jan 14, 2022.

1. sinistrello

sinistrello New Member

Brand new SG owner (2011 special) & first-time poster here. I need a case. Assuming I may sell the guitar one day, should I get a Gibson-branded case or doesn't it matter to most people?

2. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

I'd say having the original case is important if it is a highly collectable piece, but if it's just a player's grade guitar, than how it's branded shouldn't matter. I bought all my Gibsons new and they all came with hardshell, but I did buy an Epiphone w/o a case and ordered an Epiphone hardshell for it. The case was well built and designed for the SG body shape, nice and snug, and I believe it was about $80 cheaper than buying a Gibson branded case. There are sellers on Reverb that sell cases as well if you want to go bargain hunting. So, if you don't care about branding, I'd say the Epiphone case would be a good solution to your question.

sinistrello likes this.
  3. MikeT57

MikeT57 Member

sinistrello likes this.
  4. sinistrello

sinistrello New Member

You make a really good point about collectibility. Thanks.

5. An Abiding Dude

Feel free to post pics of your new baby. We're all about the photos here.

pancake81 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  6. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

The only people it really matters to are collectors who want those rare un-played, un-modified, un-anything originals that rarely exist in a world where most people buy high quality instruments to make music. The "holy grail for those folks is a sealed guitar that has never been opened, looked at, or touched by human hands since it left the factory. Even a "period correct case" will be only grudgingly accepted as "better than nothing" as opposed to the original case that came with the guitar.

Since you don't have the original case (it may not have even come with one for whatever reason), I would say get any good solid case that meets you needs and budget. Don't let some future potential buyer dictate your decisions for your instrument while it is in your possession. You can never know how they will value any non-original components for sure, and they will always be looking to get it for "barn find" prices anyway. Just take care of it for your time with it and let the future work itself out.

SKB are good cases, and there are others as well. Look for a solid exterior, well fitted padding, and substantial latches, and you really can't go wrong. As a player/buyer, I look for a strong, well fitted case, and value the package deal based on the quality of the components included.

SGBreadfan and sinistrello like this.
  7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

8. sinistrello

sinistrello New Member

Thank you for the fulsome & thoughtful response. Now I know how to proceed.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  9. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

You are welcome! Now I just want to second the call for some pictures. We all love to look at some pictures around here. :D

sinistrello likes this.
  10. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

sinistrello likes this.
  11. sinistrello

sinistrello New Member

Attached Files:

Go Nigel Go and An Abiding Dude like this.
  12. sinistrello

sinistrello New Member

Attached Files:

Go Nigel Go and An Abiding Dude like this.
  13. An Abiding Dude

Nice. It even still has the protective plastic on the pick-guard after ten years.:yesway:

sinistrello likes this.
  14. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Mine came with a Gibson case of which the pros are a really thick plush interior and a thicker handle, the latter being extremely comfortable and the only reason I'd chose that case over others, in case they had thinner handles. The cons are that it said Gibson on it and not for example Hondo II, which basically spells "Worth stealing" and on top of that something along the lines of "2008 guitar of the month" which not only further encouraged stealing but also made me look like a strutting, cork sniffing peacock. I removed all that so as to irritate any future collectors that may pry the guitar out of my cold dead hands and also to regain some manliness. In short, check the handle, you want a fat one, trust me. Brand don't matter.

(it also came with a useless guitar shaped piece of satin that irritates the hell out of me because I don't know what to use it for, it's in the way in the case and I for some reason can't bring myself to toss it. It keeps turning up in weird places and I keep stuffing it somewhere else only to have this process repeat itself endlessly)

sinistrello likes this.
  15. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

That sounds like the “shroud” or “blanket” used to cover the guitar while in the case. I presume it is not attached anymore…
    [​IMG]

papagayo and sinistrello like this.
  16. sinistrello

sinistrello New Member

The seller is a collector & said it's unplayed, basically NOS.

17. sinistrello

sinistrello New Member

Attached Files:

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  18. MR D

MR D Active Member

As long as its a hard shell case, and the guitar is NOT floppin around in it, it shouldn't matter who made it...if it were me? I'd buy a GIBSON USA Hard-Shell case...it is a GIBSON Guitar after all. The extra $50-$100 will not matter to you in a few weeks...but the Manufacturers' HSCase will always have 'Gibson USA' printed on it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    sinistrello likes this.
  19. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I prefer the TKL cases that used to come with the more expensive models. The logo doesn't matter to me and I usually blank it out with a sharpie to keep it low key.

[​IMG]

sinistrello and Go Nigel Go like this.
  20. football27

football27 Active Member

I would purchase a Gibson case. That's just my opinion.

sinistrello and cerebral gasket like this.