What case to get?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Brand new SG owner (2011 special) & first-time poster here. I need a case. Assuming I may sell the guitar one day, should I get a Gibson-branded case or doesn't it matter to most people?

Welcome to ETSG!

One of our rules to remember is:
IF YOU NEED MONEY, DON'T SELL YOUR SG!
SELL SOMETHING ELSE.

We see so many posts here about how guys sold their SG and regretted it later.
Don't do that. So don't obsess about whether a guitar case will add any value to
a guitar you'd like to sell. It will not. Another ETSG proverb to remember is this:
YOU CAN PUT A $2000 STEREO IN A $500 CAR
AND IT'S STILL A $500 CAR...

Guitars are not good investments. In the future, music will be made on instruments that have
not been invented yet. If you buy a brand new SG Standard, it's worth a lot less as soon as
you take it home. There's no guarantee that guitars will be cool in twenty years. So value them
according to the music you can make on them.

Buy a guitar case that protects your instrument. That will be a compromise between cost and
effectiveness. Your call. Musicians Friend sells a whole variety, most of them are good.

One more ETSG guideline for you: *Grins
PICTURES, OR IT
NEVER HAPPENED

papagayo

Reaction score
That sounds like the “shroud” or “blanket” used to cover the guitar while in the case. I presume it is not attached anymore…
image_271ff7e8-007e-4c3e-bbde-23aa10e55329_grande.jpg

My favorite TKL/Gibson USA case, the headstock is well protected with foam on the top.

SG Standard 2836.JPG

sinistrello

Reaction score
Welcome to ETSG!

One of our rules to remember is:
IF YOU NEED MONEY, DON'T SELL YOUR SG!
SELL SOMETHING ELSE.

We see so many posts here about how guys sold their SG and regretted it later.
Don't do that. So don't obsess about whether a guitar case will add any value to
a guitar you'd like to sell. It will not. Another ETSG proverb to remember is this:
YOU CAN PUT A $2000 STEREO IN A $500 CAR
AND IT'S STILL A $500 CAR...

Guitars are not good investments. In the future, music will be made on instruments that have
not been invented yet. If you buy a brand new SG Standard, it's worth a lot less as soon as
you take it home. There's no guarantee that guitars will be cool in twenty years. So value them
according to the music you can make on them.

Buy a guitar case that protects your instrument. That will be a compromise between cost and
effectiveness. Your call. Musicians Friend sells a whole variety, most of them are good.

One more ETSG guideline for you: *Grins
PICTURES, OR IT
NEVER HAPPENED

I never plan to sell SG. Only asked the question because I like to plan for all contingencies. Thank you for the comprehensive & passion-filled response, friend.

TheDixiePig

Reaction score
Cases, that's what brought me here. I've been looking at the SKB-61 or the Gator ATA case. I got the suggestion on another post about the new Gibby protector cases, they look good to, but I'm pretty sure it's the Gator ATA with a blue interior. The tell is the molded bumpers on the bottom.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...on-accessories-deluxe-protector-case-sg-black

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...th-tsa-latches-for-gibson-sg-electric-guitars

I do like the Gibby's blue interior, but do I like it enough to spend an extra $50?

I have a Gator ATA for my P-bass that has been really good. It's been in the van, and tossed around for years with little or no damage.

Latest posts