What do you do for a living and other hobbies thread......

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by SurfGuitar141, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SurfGuitar141

SurfGuitar141 Member

I went back 10 pages and did not see this yet, however being a new guy to this forum, if this was already done then I apologize.

The official "What do you do for a living" and "what are your other hobbies" thread.....

Living....
    I'm a professional Fire Fighter / EMT for a small resort island on the South Jersey coast.
    I also had a side job working in the HVAC industry as an installer and quality control inspector, however I was laid off from that job due to the economic situation.

Other hobbies besides playing guitar.....
    Fishing.... mostly for Striped Bass, Summer Founder, and Tog.
    Surfing....to be more specific longboard surfing on my 10'4" Bing Silverspoon, and 10' Bing Pintail Lightweight.
    Target Shooting.... I compete at the club level in various pistol matches, and .22 rifle matches.
    Amateur Radio.... been licensed since 1988, present call sign is WX2MIG, I'm also the Amateur Radio coordinator for our local Office of Emergency Management.

Forgot to include....
    Married with a son in college, and a cheerlearder daughter in her last year of high school...
    Used to coach street and roller hockey, started when my son did as a peewee, he's still playing in tournaments but I retired from the coaching / reffing part of it. Also did some traveling around when my daughter was a competition cheerleader, Myrtle Beach, DC, Disney World, and from one end of Jersey to the other.... now she just cheers for the high school football team, and that's a lot cheaper for Mom and Dad.... :roll:

So jump on in and tell us what you do for a living, and what other hobbies interest you besides playing music on your SG's..... ;)

2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Living:

Currently between jobs. It's a tough economic climate in NE Illinois right now. Previously I've worked behind a parts counter at a farm store (combines & tractors) and construction equipment store. Been doing that for more years than I care to comment on.

Hobbies:

Used to fish alot. Not so much right now.
    Putting a 77 Vette back together. My wife tells me she wants to drive it to school before the snow flies.
    Play guitar for Worship Team at church once a month or so.
    Amuse myself playing guitar in bedroom when I'm home alone. Loud & proud. 8)
    First name basis at local public library. I read alot.
    Cook..... or eat. I learned to cook better food rather than spend money going out to eat.
    This forum..... :D

Family

Married - 31 years (She's a 5th Grade Special Ed teacher)
    Kids - Two boys and two daughter-in-laws.
    Grandkids - Two.... one of each. :)
    Like OldRockFan, music runs deep in our family. We exposed our kids to all forms of music.

3. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

To Live:

I am a consultant and manager at a laboratory for the printing industry.

Other Stuff I do for me:

Father three kids, coach soccer for the littlest.
    Do stuff with wife
    Dream about having enough money to rebuild a Datsun 240Z.

4. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

Living:

I give private guitar, bass and drum lessons as well as teaching a few music and acting classes for kids. I also perform as much as I can. Nursing Homes, schools, Birthday parties, whatever pays.

Hobbies

Building guitars.
    Destroying guitars.
    Rebuilding guitars.
    Buying guitars.
    Writing and recording songs.
    Girls.
    Watching old movies.
    Browsing EverythingSG forums...

5. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I work part time for a small auto parts company assembling packages out of bulk parts. I don't work many hours but that suits me as I'm a full time psychology student at the University of Toronto.

My hobbies are guitar, reading and jamming with my band.

6. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=19750.msg239434#msg239434 date=1253132791]
    I work part time for a small auto parts company assembling packages out of bulk parts. I don't work many hours but that suits me as I'm a full time student at the University of Toronto.

My hobbies are guitar, reading and jamming with my band.
    [/quote]

Wait a sec......They have cars in Canada?? ;D

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

THis is a good idea but I think we should add spouse/kids to the list.

Job: I own a small safety consulting company and get to travel around the US with my job which I enjoy because I get to eat lots of great food and see some great sites. Some of my favorite towns to visit right now are Kan city for the best BBQ and good blues, Memphis for the best blues and gibson of course, San Fran for the great seafood and cool street performers, chicago for the deep dish pizza and cool music and Austin for that big music festival and the friendly people.

Hobbies:
    I love everything outdoors from fishing/hunting to hiking to wildlife photography.

I love old muscle cars from the 60s/70s. I have a 69 mustang that I am currently restoring and my son has a 72 charger we did a budget restoration on over the summer.

I am also active in a local church and my motto is "every day is a good day"

Family: I have been married 24 years and my wife is a realtor. We have two boys. One just started college and the other is a junior in high school. Both boys love music (no suprise there). The oldest one plays bass and sax while the younger one plays guitar and trumpet. Both boys have also written several original copyrighted rock songs. I have done everything I can to encourage them both music wise.

8. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=19750.msg239442#msg239442 date=1253160542]
    THis is a good idea but I think we should add spouse/kids to the list.
    [/quote]

I think it's a good idea too but if you read my post, you'll probably figure out that I have no spouse or kids. Unless you count guitars.....

9. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Profession IT Infrastructure Architect.

Hobbies Outside music (including opera) and guitar... Art, reading, business investment, travel & cooking (and I guess drinking)

Family Married for 20 years. One wife who loves to shop and cook (the best thing that ever happened to me). One son in final year at school (the second best thing that ever happened to me).

10. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Profession: Codes and Standards Engineer, Consultant (I have always viewed myself as my primary profession being music and playing.... but since it doesn't pay that well my part-time job as a Code Eng. consumes 40 to 60 hours a week....... ;D)

Hobbies: Guitar, performances, ETSG, accumulating things I really don't need.....

Family: Married for 39 1/2 years to what has to be the most understanding woman in the world..... to have put up with me this long. No children, but have seemed to "semi-adopt" other peoples kids.

11. sexy andy

sexy andy New Member

Occupation: I'm a psychology student at the University of Amsterdam. Currently in my second year.

Hobbies: Playing guitar, music, drawing, hanging out with friends

12. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

I'm a Office Manager/Treasurer for a Construction Company.

Before I blew my knee out I really enjoyed fishing. I love shooting sports (especially traditional black powder).
    I have built several guns. I am a pipe smoker and collector. (real tobacco..not the funny stuff ;)).
    I am a leathercrafter. You can see some of my work here. http://www.myspace.com/laney1566

I guess you can call me a guitar hobbiest, but I think of myself as a undiscovered Songwriter. I know I'll never be the onstage guitar God because my health won't allow for it but I rock hard!!! My neighbors can hear it but don't don't complain.

I have one groupee that I have been married to for nearly 18 years.
    I am a Stepdad to a 25 year old Son. (He calls me Dad anyway). Not that I deserve it.

13. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=19750.msg239437#msg239437 date=1253135635]
    [/quote]

I'll have you know we not only have them, we make them.

14. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

I work on the production side of a direct marketing company, or in layman's terms, I print junk mail.

My hobbies, guitar, movies, books, art, writing and various other things. Love to go camping, shooting, hiking, bike riding but never get to do it. I also own a keyboard, harmonica and acoustic I fiddle with on occasion. I love music and have a deep desire to create it, just wish my skill matched my desire. I love blues, rock, metal(80's, don't care much for the newer incarnation of heavy music), classic (60's-70's) rock and folk. Some old school country and classical. Basically crafted music made with real instruments and people playing them.

I'm single with no kids. Was engaged for some time, I got custody of the cat. :p

15. mrk

mrk Active Member

Career: Marketing manager/art director for a manufacturer of water service, high pressure gas and plumbing valves and fittings, and pumps.

Hobbies: Guitar playing and restoration, bass, cello, mandolin, home brewing, amateur astronomer, rocket science, old house restoration

Family: Married w/2 kids - 10 year old son and 6 year old daughter. And of course a Pembroke Welsh Corgi dog and a Russian Blue cat

MRK

16. John J

John J Active Member

Occupation: Over. I'm retired. I have a engine rebuilding business to
    occupy my time
    Hobbies: I listen to music alot. Mostly geezer rock. 60s-90s
    Playing my old SG, not very well I might add.
    Muscle cars. My favorite thing next to the wife.
    Getting the junk mail nynvolt makes.
    Family: I have a wonderful wife. We've been together 31 years.
    She's the best.
    I also have a 37 year old son.

17. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=19750.msg239437#msg239437 date=1253135635]
    [/quote]

Ahh yes they do, don't they. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2PHohDFoM[/youtube]

18. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

cool vid... never seen an engine running without even having the headers attached. Pretty cool seeing the blue flame shoot out.

John J. re engine rebuilding service... what engines do you service? I have a 69 mustang with a 390 that I am in the process of restoring. Would be cool to have an expert I can bounce questions off of regarding my mustang. I am still early in the restoration though, I just pulled the drive shaft today anda dropped it off to have it professionally balanced. Figured I better make sure the car has good quality US made U-joints and a properly balanced drive shaft right up front since eventually I would like to work up to about 500hp with it.

19. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Living...
    Unemployed machinist. In the past 30 years, I have done everything from aerospace to medical to wierd and exotic. Favorite stuff was rebuilding old Harley and Indian flathead stuff, restoring old Mercedes and Ferrari cars, and 7 axis cnc machining of aerospace stuff. Would like to get back into motorcycle stuff, but it doesn't pay unless I hit the numbers and open my own shop. I'd like to kill everyone that has said, "oh you're a machinist, you'll have a job for life." As for now, I'm working on setting up my apartment to give guitar, mandolin, and possibly violin lessons out of the computer/music room. There's no good paying machinist jobs left in this country. Thanks....

Hobbies...
    Aside from music, starting to tinker with my '59 Harley FLH and get it running again (just before winter to put it away again). I also have a '59 Harley KR and a '54 KHR that I'm trying to get the motivation (and $) to restore and hit the race track again. I used to race a '53 Harley KR powered side hack, and a '37 Indian Scout, and am beginning to miss going to the track to drag my knees. That also depends on me finding another machinist job. I'm not paying someone else to do something that I can do better.
    I also like to travel. My wife works for an airline, and I can fly for free. It's a nice perk since most of my family lives in Germany. I go there once or twice a year. I also hit the U.K. or Ireland whenever possible. We usually pick a city somewhere in Europe, and go for a nice romantic weekend away from the cats.
    I also spend a lot of time walking down to the beach and enjoying the view. There are some nice little islands, and there is a nice view of Salem and Marblehead. The incoming international flights also come over the beach if the wind is right. Love the sight of a low flying 747.

Family...
    Married, with no kids. Just a few feral cats that my wife brought home from the airport parking lot.

20. John J

John J Active Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=19750.msg239526#msg239526 date=1253331787]

John J. re engine rebuilding service... what engines do you service?
    [/quote] Most of the stuff I do is either fork lift engines or 60s/70s muscle car stuff.The forklift engines pay very well.