What do you do for a living and other hobbies thread......

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by SurfGuitar141, Sep 15, 2009.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

John J. Re 60s/70s muscle cars... hey cool! I may hit you up with some questions about my muscle cars if you don't mind. I have the 69 mustang and my 16 year old son has a 72 charger so we are ford and mopar fans :)

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm a musician, period. This is what I do for work and fun.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Retired from anything that requires mindless obedience, hard physical labor, regular hours and strident sobriety . Did that for various government agencies for 35 years . I should have done what I proposed in my Senior High School yearbook ." I'd like to live in the old dawn Redwood in Golden Gate Park and learn to play the sitar !" Might yet ! dbb's got it right .

4. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

I run a small independent wealth management practice locally. Did a 10-yr stint in the Cdn Air Force as a tech and a "spy in the sky" crewman doing electronic surveillance/anti-sub warfare on coastal patrol aircraft (Airborne Electronic Sensor Op). Following that, I went to work at a large national financial planning/investment company plying my growing skills/knowledge base in that field for 7.5 years before I "saw the light" and went independent. Have had my practice going since 1996, so I guess that puts me into my 23rd yr in financial services (how time flies!!).

At 51, I still feel 15 and many of my hobbies are those I enjoyed at that age (you can't take the boy outta the man) - music, longboarding (big "lazy" skateboards), soccer, skiing, concerts/movies/books, tinkering with cars/bikes/amps/electronics, etc. About the only thing I enjoy more of now is travel - developed a real yen for it in my Air Force days, but now have the means to pursue it recreationally.

I have a wife and two boys, aged 20 & 17 (got a bit of a late start on the family thing). My wife's a dental assistant in a busy local office with 4 dentists. My oldest son is in university, started out on a music degree program (bassist), but is probably going to change to arts or business. Youngest son is a high school senior, wants to get his commerical helicopter license and fly choppers for a living, although he's currently being groomed to referee hockey at a high level, so who knows how far he'll progress with that pursuit.

5. Tah-lee

Tah-lee Member

Hello Guys,

I am a retired police officer. Now, I dispatch ambulances for a private company. I also take side jobs installing tile, stone floors, and hardwood floors. I am married with two sons (ages 12 and 15)...Noah plays bass (age 12) and Eric plays guitar (age 15). They both take lessons, and they have been for about 4 years. I'm 42 years old, but my wife says that I have the mentality of a 17 year old.

I play 80's rock (Ratt, Van Halen, Extreme, etc...). I have a guitar-collecting sickness. I will put a guitar on layaway, even when it means that it will drain every penny of extra money that I have.

- Bryan

6. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

SG's and Hamers - the man has taste!

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

fun to see this old thread revitalized. I feel I should add that I am an avid live music fan. Every time i travel, I ALWAYS make a point to check out local live music. Doesnt matter if it is at a local bar, event or just street performers... I love live music. Just last night, I listened to a street performer playing some very solid sax. Good stuff and he was sitting next to a tall granite sided building that really enhanced the whole sound.

8. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Job: Armored Vehicle Operator for a large Cash in Transit (Cash & Valuables Transport) company. Used to train all the newbies, now just do my own thing, when I'm not off on workers compensation with a blown out ankle!
    Family: Been married to a professional woodwind (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet & Basset Horn) player and teacher for 12 years. (Susan, who has a B.Mus (Bachelor of Music), from the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts, the same place Hugh Jackman studied) One 8 year old son, Liam, and a 3 year old daughter, Hannah
    Hobbies: Guitar, hunting, fishing, 4 wheel driving, camping, tinkering in my shed, and drinking coronas...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    gtone likes this.
  9. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

Occupation: still studying at 29, I guess I can call myself professional university student :thumb:

I studied history and sociology; I'm working on my diploma now.

During the years I have worked different part time jobs, mostly screen (or heat) printing T-shirts and driving a van.

Hopefully I could get a job as a car & bike restorator - but we'll see.

Hobbies:

no. 1: music.
    I currrently play drums in 2 bands, and rhythm guitar in another, the 'main one'.
    I write a lot of music, and have recently started doing homemade 'solo' stuff where I play all instruments and try to sing - that's mostly just for fun and to ge the 'old' songs out of my head so I can work on new ones.

no. 2: rebuilding my classic car, Opel Ascona B;
    I also enjoy restoring old mopeds & small motorcycles, and outher two-stroke stuff. Actually, I put this down as a hobby, becouse when I work for others, I make so little money it doesn't qualify as a 'job'... :hmm:

no. 3: taking long walks. I'm a pretty sociable character, but I really like to take a lot of alone time in the forests & hills during the day, or walking in the town at night, when it gets more quiet and empty. Also, that's when I come up with song ideas...

I guess I do other stuff too, but these are important to me...

Family:

My dad passed away a year ago. I live 50% at my mom's house, and 50% on my own in the city. I also have sister who has her own family and lives nearby. We get along pretty well.
    I don't have a girlfriend, never had, dunno why. :dunno: Not that I didn't try, but I guess it was just bad luck, plus I used to be pretty shy and awkward around girls...
    But recently I got pretty comfortable being alone, so I don't care that much. Everyone says that's probably when 'the one' will show up and ruin everything :applause:

But in the meantime, Ive got my bandmates, who are kind of like brothers I never had (and sometimes, brothers I never wanted:ohno:)...

10. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Great thread!

Ok, here it goes:

Living: I`m a mid 30s lawyer, got my own law office.

I really ike what I do, but as a matter of fact I am a frustrated musician for many reasons. I didn`t have due support from my family when I decided to be a guitarist, so I only picked up the electric guitar about two years ago. I even studied classical guitar at a University because it was the closest I could get to my dream of being a guitar player without being frowned upon by my parents. You know... only child, raised listening to classical music...

Ok, now I have my own life and my dreams are mine. Now I own electric guitar and I play. Still a student, but I play. My biggest sorrow is that I was recognized as a very talented classical guitar student/player by teachers and colleagues, and that gives me an idea of the musician I could have become if I had pursued my dream of playing electric guitar professionally. :dunno: Well... to hell. It is a frustration Ill`take with me for the rest of my life.

Hobbies: I did a lot of things, almost none of them quite well, but it was funny.

I was a competition judoka as a teenager, boxed as an amateur at a local gym when I was 25, liked it very much but began boxing too old to take it seriously even as an amateur... I am a compulsive reader, I like to learn new languages, play tennis at a club (at tournaments as well, but not too well). I never really took the time to be good at those sports, I practiced them because I liked.

I like wines and whiskies, even collect them, but my collections don`t really last long lol...

My greatest hobby, the one that has always been part of me, is music, not necessarily playing, but especially listening. I just can`t spend a whole day without listening to music. I only drive my car with the stereo on.

I envy the guys who actually do have the hobby of putting together muscle and classic cars. I love it, but never had the opportunity or the time to do that. Nevertheless, I do prefer classic motor companies, I only drive Ford and Chevy cars. :)

One thing that is not exactly a hobby, but describes me, is that I like all things vintage and classic. I dig wayfarer and clubmaster model sunglasses, I love old cars, my guitars must be classic les paul, sg or strats, I`d never see any fun in owning a modern design axe...

Family: I am no longer married, got one 4 year old girl. See her almost every day. I live with my parents.