What do you gig with?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Layne Matz, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

What amp(s), guitars, strings, tools, pedals, recording equipment. or otherwise gear do you bring with to a gig?

2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

2 similar guitars, a main and a backup.
    1 small pedal board (2 power supplies, backup again)
    1 low wattage amplifier, Supro Comet, Fender Deluxe, etc.
    1 E-609 and 25 ft. cable to mic the amplifier
    4 cables, strings, plectrums,etc.
    50 ft. 14G extension cord for AC
    water, 1 small towel

If the gig requires in and out in 1 trip
    the backup guitar stays home.

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

My gig was a 10 year stint on my churches worship team. Played about once every 4-6 weeks. My setup was pretty boring as I plugged straight into house. Primary guitar was my Ovation Acoustic I’ve had since mid 70s. I did bring a few effects. Primarily chorus, delay and a tuner.

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

For rock I always bring my Strat with a Dimarzio Titan humbucker for our down tuned stuff, as far as my main guitar it depends on the venue. I generally rotate between my Gibson SG Future, a Frankenstein V that I put together and a Schecter Damien Platinum.

I'm still up in the air with Amp's, I have been using a Marshall DSL 50 through a 4x12 but I recently bought a Line 6 HD 500X I'm hoping to run direct into the PA with a 2x12 for a monitor but I haven't gotten comfortable with it just yet.

I have the basic pedal board, reverb, chorus, delay, compressor, wah wah etc. Once I incorporate the HD 500X I will ditch the stomp boxes.

Layne Matz likes this.
  5. DaveInSoCal

Hey my message got doubled!

Layne Matz likes this.
  6. DaveInSoCal

7. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

I use only one guitar per gig and I choose them depending on the songs I have to play. I currently use D'Addario strings on both Epi and Gib, 0.10-0.46 on the G400 and 0.9-0.42 on the SGJ Special. I don't like these strings, I prefer Ernie Ball, so when I decide it's time to change them, I'll buy the EB ones.
    About the amps... I don't remember if the last gig I used a Fender or not, but I usually have an Orange, I don't know the model... At home, instead, I always play with my Blackstar ID:Core, which has some effects, like delay, reverb and others that are similar to wah-wah pedal or Leslie or Hendrix's style ones. During gigs I use some distortion, I just like simple effects onstage (not at home, where I experiment different sounds ahah).

Layne Matz likes this.