What do you guys think of my SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dub-T-123, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Dub-T-123

Dub-T-123 New Member

Hey guys I've been a member here for a while but I never post. I'm on the Gibson forum a lot though.

Here's my SG. It's an '06 Standard. It's the best SG I've ever played.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neck pickup is the stock 490T which I love. Awesome sounding pickup. The bridge pickup is a Burstbucker 3. The BB3 rocks.

I play it through my Vox ac30 and it sounds amazing! It's my favorite guitar ever.

2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

thats a good looking standard. Your neck binding has aged nicely on that one and looks like you got a nice grained piece of wood on yours.

3. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I was noticing the well defined grain as well. Really is a nice looking guitar!

4. Dub-T-123

Dub-T-123 New Member

Thanks. I love the grain but I don't have a good enough camera to really show it in pics.

The finish has become really smooth on the neck and where my right forearm touches it.

5. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

I like the headstock alot. It looks like it's not as wide my 2003 SG-61.

6. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Because it's not. ;)

7. olioli

olioli New Member

I bought the Standard in cherry too (2010 model) and it was the best SG in the shop.

It looks like some of the "production" models are just outstanding.

I love the 498T in the bridge in mine.

8. Dub-T-123

Dub-T-123 New Member

The headstock on the 61ri is a bit bigger. I like both a lot. (I'm a huge Beatles fan by the way :D)

There are some outstanding standard production guitars for sure. I'm glad you got a gem. I've got nothing against the 498t really. It's a sweet pickup. I just wanted something a little different.

9. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

I like it, though I think it would look slightly better with 2 zebras ;)

10. Dub-T-123

Dub-T-123 New Member

Thanks. I know what you mean about having two zebras or even just taking the cover off of the 490r for that matter.

To be honest I kinda like the funky mismatched look it's got right now. It's grown on me :)

Besides I don't want to swap the 490r because I love the sound!

11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Dub-T-123 link=topic=20849.msg251141#msg251141 date=1281646182]
    Besides I don't want to swap the 490r because I love the sound!
    [/quote]

and that's why you should keep it the way you like it! sound!

Remember all those discussions about 57's and 490's? This is why they are both made, to please a variety of tastes.

12. Dub-T-123

Dub-T-123 New Member

I love 57s too. They might be my favorite Gibson pickup. I just think this 490r is workin really nicely in this guitar.

To be honest I think the 490r and 57 sound really similar. Not so much with the 57+ and 498t though.

I've been thinking about switching to 500k pots and getting some good PIO caps though.

13. trapdoorspider

trapdoorspider Member

Somebody said the binding had aged nicely, but most recently produced Standards already come with "aged" binding — an off-white color that's almost yellow. Strange in a way, since it doesn't match anything else on the guitar. Gibson hasn't really jumped on that "aged/relic" bandwagon like Fender.

But I have a 2000 Standard with the same color binding as this one, and it's the same color as the brand-new ones. I like it; it doesn't look so stark as the bright-white binding on my SG Classic.

14. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

[quote author=olioli link=topic=20849.msg250944#msg250944 date=1281114170]
    I bought the Standard in cherry too (2010 model) and it was the best SG in the shop.

It looks like some of the "production" models are just outstanding.

I love the 498T in the bridge in mine.
    [/quote]I agree- the SG Standards and Classics are some of the biggest bang for your $$ guitars being produced today, especially compared to some of the overpriced Fenders and such. And great looking guitar OP, looks like a real keeper 8)

15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

it's a classic. and i like the mismatched pickups too, makes it look radical or something, which is what an SG ought to look like. Radical from 1961 on. That's why
    old Lester didn't like it. *grins

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=SGBreadfan link=topic=20849.msg251662#msg251662 date=1284185580]
    I agree- the SG Standards and Classics are some of the biggest bang for your $$ guitars being produced today, especially compared to some of the overpriced Fenders and such.
    [/quote]

So true - these are very nice instruments at very decent (well, at least for Gibson) prices - and compared to the Fender line a very good deal as you mention. I can't understand why any Strat can cost thousands as do so many models. At least Fender has some decent guitars in the 500-1000 dollar range, like the Standard and American Standard Teles and Strats. Still I'd rather have a Gibson.

17. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=20849.msg251687#msg251687 date=1284272605]
    So true - these are very nice instruments at very decent (well, at least for Gibson) prices - and compared to the Fender line a very good deal as you mention. I can't understand why any Strat can cost thousands as do so many models. At least Fender has some decent guitars in the 500-1000 dollar range, like the Standard and American Standard Teles and Strats. Still I'd rather have a Gibson.
    [/quote] I have a Classic Vibe Squier 50's Strat ($350 new) that sounds better than some $1000+ Fenders I've owned- quality control/consistency is all over the map IMO w/ Fender, some great guitars and dogs at every price point. I've always found Gibsons to be much more consistent once you get to that $1000 and above mark, I can honestly say I've never played a dog. I've played some terrific Fenders in that price bracket and some terrible ones as well...

18. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

interesting you haven't found any dogs in the 1k and up gibsons. I make it a point to check out guitars when I travel and I have found plenty of dog gibsons in that 1k and up price range. I've seen bad examples that ranged from a poor setup where frets buzz to a poorly set fret to more extreme mistakes such as neck twist or bad electronics. I'd say the most common issue I have seen with the gibsons though is just a poorly executed final setup by Guitar Center. No suprise given the person that is doing the setups for them is often totally untrained on how to do a proper guitar setup.

Having said that, I am a huge gibson guitar fan. Sure they have their flaws and I disagree with some of their business strategies but when you find a well built gibson, they are hard to beat. Great looks and great playing and the satisfaction of knowing you own an instrument still made by real americans in the good ole US of A!

19. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20849.msg251703#msg251703 date=1284383470]
    interesting you haven't found any dogs in the 1k and up gibsons. I make it a point to check out guitars when I travel and I have found plenty of dog gibsons in that 1k and up price range. I've seen bad examples that ranged from a poor setup where frets buzz to a poorly set fret to more extreme mistakes such as neck twist or bad electronics. I'd say the most common issue I have seen with the gibsons though is just a poorly executed final setup by Guitar Center. No suprise given the person that is doing the setups for them is often totally untrained on how to do a proper guitar setup.

Having said that, I am a huge gibson guitar fan. Sure they have their flaws and I disagree with some of their business strategies but when you find a well built gibson, they are hard to beat. Great looks and great playing and the satisfaction of knowing you own an instrument still made by real americans in the good ole US of A!
    [/quote] Well, I've come across bunches that weren't necessarily set up well, but that doesn't mean they were dogs- most new guitars are going to need a good setup from the get go anyway. But I've never encountered any $1000+ Gibbys that were atrocious, some just need a little more tweaking than others and of course, some are just flat out better than others. When I first got my Les Paul Standard, the high E wouldn't stay in the nut slot when bending but I knew that was an easy fix- stuff like that might scare some potential buyers away, but I knew it was a great guitar after a few minutes of playing it- just needed that one issue taken care of. The GC exclusive SG Standard I got recently was absolutely perfect out of the box, even the intonation was spot on- impressive.

20. Dub-T-123

Dub-T-123 New Member

I'm surprised to see this thread is still running. I haven't been on here in a while.

Here are a few more random pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And hey I like Fender too. Here's my American Std Tele. I love it but my SG is definately my favorite. My SG just plays itself.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.