What do you think of 490R and 490T pickups in an SG?

490R and 490T pickups on an SG

• 4 Definitely / Fantastic pickups

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 3 Pretty Good

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • 2 Barely passable / OK if there are no other options

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 1 Not so good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0 Definitely not / Gotta swap

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Snake Plissken

Reaction score
Sounds like the OP is looking for reasons to replace his pickups.

OP, how do the pickups sound to YOU? What I Amy like might sound horrible to you, and vice versa.

papagayo

Reaction score
Gibson 498T - 490R is one of the best combo, the 490T is not enough powerfll IMHO.

Maguchi

Reaction score
My Gibson SG Standard came with them. Are they generally considered great, pretty good, or not so much? Any opinions?

I had them in my Special, it was one of the best sounding guitars I ever owned. By comparison I had a USA PRS I swapped about a zillion pickups out of before I found the right set.

In my opinion, pickups are one of the things Gibson does right - I barely ever feel the need to put new pickups in one.
^^^Yep, I concur. They came in a slab bodied Gibson Les Paul Special I have, and they sound wonderful and mean when I want them to. I'm thinking they would sound equally good in an SG. Gibson definitely does pickups well.

lcw

Reaction score
490R/490T are decent stock pickups. Certainly acceptable. But there is better even in Gibson's lineup. Depends what you're going for. Blues? Rock? Metal? Some vintage sounding? Or modern sounding? Low ouput? High output?

Westernrider

Reaction score

Many eons ago, when I got my first Gibson, an ES-125, [ P90 I really miss that guitar now ] ...... this is pretty much how the store clerk told be to adjust the pole pieces.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Gibson 498T - 490R is one of the best combo, the 490T is not enough powerfll IMHO.

That's the combo I have in my 2007 Les Paul Custom. It came stock that way and sounds just fine.

As long as the people in the crowd keep jumpin' to the music the band is playin', I'm good!

Latest posts