What do you think of the 2013 SG FUTURE TRIBUTE?

shamu1

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering buying one of these guitars, but have never had the opportunity to play one. None of my local stores carried it, and the one I'm considering is being sold on Craigslist.

I know, "Try it out and see if you like it...", but I'd like to hear if any of you guys have owned or played a Future Tribute, and what you think of it. I did a forum search, and I only found one thread from a member who actually owned one of these (he loved it, BTW).

Appearance-wise, I think this is one of the coolest looking SGs Gibson's ever released. I know the Future Tribute has gotten a lot of hate from what I've seen, mainly due to the Steinberger tuners, but I actually think they look totally cool. I think it was a well thought out guitar, style-wise. There's a thread on MLP that's entitled "The SG Future Tribute Will Induce Vomiting!" or something like that.

I'm curious about this "asymmetrical neck" on it too.

eS.G.

Reaction score
What no link to the c.r. ad????

I have no experience or knowledge first hand..reviews seem good, it looks a fine a** SG from what I can find online

Whats the feller asking? Can ya get a deal? If so I would say hell ya. But the PROOF is in the pudding. Like you said yourself ya gotta play it to truly know. :-)

Heavy Garden

Reaction score
it doesn't bother me, i just looked at it
it's just a variation of an SG
i always bang my tuners on stuff, might be cool to have them not sticking out sometimes

likea45

Reaction score
It looks naked without some type of tuner peg on the headstock. Biggest reason I passed on picking one of these up...oh and no neck binding ;)

shamu1

Reaction score
It looks naked without some type of tuner peg on the headstock. Biggest reason I passed on picking one of these up...oh and no neck binding ;)

Actually, I've gotten to prefer the SGs that have no binding. For me, the ideal SG is one with no neck binding and the dot inlays (e.g., the Specials, SGJs, Futuras, etc.). One of the things I love about the SG's style its sense of length, particularly in the neck. For me the lack of binding and the dot inlays enhance that look. I think the binding and trapezoid inlays make the SG's neck look wide and stubby, which is why I love them on Les Pauls (conversely, I think dot inlays and no binding look wrong on a Les Paul).

eS.G.

Reaction score
So whats the asking price shamu? Ya gonna snag it? IT seems like a fine A** guitar, and even if the tuners annoy you down the road just switch em.......cause NO ONE ...EVER changes tuners now do they??????

Biddlin

Reaction score
Shamu1, I like the one I have played, tone and feel were both very nice!
I like the tuners and the appearance doesn't bother me, but be careful about banging the sides of the headstock! Pics if you get it, as if I have to say.....
Happy Easter Holiday

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
Looks like you can upgrade to E-tuners if you want keys sticking out (which menas the holes are standard enough you can put what ever you want in there).

As for the asymmetrical neck profile: I had that on a 2013 LP Standard, and could neither see it nor feel it. It must be very subtle. Maybe they just have a new guy in the factory on the belt sander and they're trying to cover their pahtooties?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Future-Tribute.aspx

I'll tell you one thing I hate about it: they paint the emblem on the headstock instead of inlaying it and the name Gibson! I never minded silk screened Gibson logos on headstocks, but why add the emblem as if it's more upline and then not inlay it like a real upgrade?

Nice cheap shot Henry J.

LeadFinger

Reaction score
I can testify to the goodness of the vintage gloss finish on the Tribute's. I have the 50s Tribute in ebony, and it is sweet. Don't know about the asym neck profile on the Future, but I'd say overall they did a nice job with the 2013 Tribute series.

Edit: Took out anti-guitar-hate rant. After all, it's fking Easter.

Last edited:

shamu1

Reaction score
I can testify to the goodness of the vintage gloss finish on the Tribute's. I have the 50s Tribute in ebony, and it is sweet. Don't know about the asym neck profile on the Future, but I'd say overall they did a nice job with the 2013 Tribute series.

Edit: Took out anti-guitar-hate rant. After all, it's fking Easter.

Like you, I totally love the vintage gloss finish. There's something so old school and real about having the open wood pores and that semi-satin/semi-gloss look on a guitar.

I have the 50s Tribute Les Paul in ebony (my SG is vintage sunburst), and the combination of the black arch top with vintage gloss finish, along with black P90 soapbars, looks freaking beyond cool.

shamu1

Reaction score
I'm back in the game - found a cherry red Future Tribute online at a marked down price. I ordered the one w/the Steinberger tuners, not MinETune. Should be here today, can't wait. I'll post pictures, of course.

shamu1

Reaction score
The Future Tribute arrived a couple of hours ago. I'll post pictures of it later tonight.

Man, this is a screaming hot looking axe. I totally love the look of those weird Steinberger tuners, and the cherry finish is smokin' hot. I think this guitar is beyond cool.

The "asymmetrical neck profile" is very subtle, but it's there. When you hold the back of the neck up to the light, you can see that it's a little thicker where your palm would be, and tapers off a little on the side near the high strings. For me, it feels a little ass backwards - I'd think it would feel a little better if it were thicker on the other side of the neck. Oh well, I'll just practice on it a lot and get used to it.

Again, pictures later on. I don't have a camera with me right now.

shamu1

Reaction score
Here are some pictures:

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0585.jpg

IMAG0582.jpg

likea45

Reaction score
Other than those tuners that's a sweet looking git!

shamu1

Reaction score
Another reason I chose a FT is because it's kind of an oddball SG - I like that. Judging from reviews and users' comments I've read on the web, I would guess that this was a commercial failure for Gibson (I'm thinking due to the weird tuners and the whole idea of calling something "Future Tribute", kind of like people got upset about there being a "50s Tribute" SG). There were retailers who were giving these away as prizes last year.

So I doubt this will have much collector value in the future, and I'm thinking this will be the last and only run of FTs for Gibson. But I don't care. I only collect guitars that I want to actually play, and play often - if it ends up sitting in its case for a long time, I sell it. I think the FT is an awesome SG and is unique.

Latest posts