What happened to the SG Standard????

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by papersoul, Oct 14, 2017.

1. papersoul

papersoul Active Member

Guys,

I have a 2012 SG Standard and love it. A friend borrowed it and now he wants a new SG Standard. He went to a few stores and looked on the Gibson site and it appears that Gibson stopped making the SG Standard as we have come to know it. Now, he doesn't know what to do. He loves my 2012 Standard and he wants to buy new. It looks like he may have to buy used.

Love the neck on my 2012 Standard. It reminds me of my LP Standard. I like fatter necks like my LP Standard, 2012 SG Standard and 1989 SG Special.

Do you guys know when Gibson changed everything up?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

Wolftoes and CATMANDUE like this.
  3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Do you mean to say that you like the thicker neck of the 2012 but not the 60s type skinnier necks from the later years? 2016 SGs have a thicker neck. In more recent years I guess a rule of thumb is batwing pickguards have 50s style necks, angelwings have 60s style necks.

Wolftoes likes this.
  4. papersoul

papersoul Active Member

Thanks, I do prefer the large pick guard but they seem to go with the small now. I also prefer the vintage look of my Kluson Tone Pros vintage style tuners the fatter neck. Is my 2012 a skim taper neck? I love the 50s style neck on my LP Standard from 2003 and my 2012 SG feels similar.

I hate the 60s style neck. What is the slim taper neck?

He loves the 498/490 pickups too!

5. papersoul

papersoul Active Member

Yes, thanks. I prefer fatter necks. The neck on my 1989 SG special is very fat and love it, it has a little pickguard.

What's a batwing pickguard and angel wing pickguard?

So the 2016 SG Standard has the thicker neck and also the 2017 Standard T?

Update : I just heard from my friend and he says a thinner neck may not be a deal breaker. So, that opens other possibilities.

He wants stay around $1200 or less.

I paid $999 for my 2012 brand new.

6. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

2012 I feel was a very year for Gibson electrics. I'm just going by all the ones I have played from then so far. Go ahead and flame me if it makes you feel better. LOL.

7. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

I hate thick necks. The neck on my 2017 Standard is perfect IMO.

58pit, Eisel-Elder and jakbur like this.
  8. papersoul

papersoul Active Member

Since the 2012 is so perfect....Maybe he should get a 2012. Ha.

lcw, Wolftoes and Mbell75 like this.
  9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Angel wing = small = original design from 1961, pickups mounted on rings.
    Batwing = large = from 1966, pickups mounted on the pickguard.

2016 Standards have the 'rounded' neck profile (and batwing), Standards from other recent years have the '60 slim taper' and angel wing. Note that Gibson use a variety of names for neck profiles, including '50s Rounded' which seems to be quite a lot thicker than 'rounded'. I have SGs from '14 & '16 with slim taper necks, and a '17 Standard with rounded - I can hardly tell the difference (and I used to be very fussy about neck profiles). I did have an SG with a '50s Rounded' profile, and I did find it a bit too thick for my liking.

From '16 onwards, Standards have been available as 'T' or 'HP' (Traditional or High Performance), as far as necks go, the difference is the HP has a 'soloist' neck - the profile & string spacing is the same, but the neck is very slightly wider.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit.

58pit, Wolftoes and Gahr like this.
  10. papersoul

papersoul Active Member

Thanks man, that is helpful. I think my friend just need to go out and try a bunch and see what he likes. He had some stats with thin necks that he is fine with, so he said the neck may not be as critical to him.
    My 1989 SG special with small pickguard has a rather large and rounded neck, and feels great to me! My 2003 LP St and 2012 SG St both have rounder necks that I love.

Maybe he will like the newer T models. It sounds like they don't do the rounded neck any longer on SGs....only the thin taper wider or narrow. I am glad you can't feel much difference.

I may actually want to look into the SG HP for myself since the fatter body sounds interesting, although I may not notice much.

Gahr likes this.
  11. SG standard

You probably won't notice any difference in terms of your grip on the neck, but you will if you do much finger vibrato on the E strings. I just did a quick & crude measurement between a standard neck with nibs on the frets & a soloist neck with fret over nib, and it's about another 1.5mm of usable fret before the fret curves down. If you'd like a ticker neck profile combined with the with of the soloist neck, you'll need to look at the 2016 Standard HP (with batwing), '17 & '18 models have slim taper necks.

12. Dickey001

Dickey001 Member

I have a 2012 SG. It looks like an SG.
    The new ones look like Epiphones. Darn fugly if you ask me. 011.JPG

Satellitedog likes this.
  13. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

The short neck joint SG's look fugly to me. With those atrocious shoulders popping out where the neck meets the body. It's like they slapped the neck to the body as an afterthought. No wonder Gibson designers improved it by introducing the long neck joint SG.

14. BraveNewBat

BraveNewBat New Member

During 2012-2013 I played several 2012 standards with the batwing in stores, and I own a 2016 standard, which to me feels identical in almost every way. I'm not sure why Gibson teased it like that, but since 2016 I've not seen any other "standards" that I would call a standard. To me Gibson needs to stop overthinking and just make 2 models like they did for a long time, standard and 61reissue. Blending them just causes some freak of nature SG to get birthed every couple of years. Just my 2 cents.

lcw likes this.
  15. papersoul

papersoul Active Member

Thanks for the thought on the subject. I have an SG special from 89 and a 2012 Standard so I am good. But, I am trying to help my fried find a Standard. I think he will just go try a buch. This is helpful

I would think the 2017T would be a Standard?

I am curious about the new High Performance SG!?!?!

16. Sonny Wolf

Sonny Wolf New Member

I own an awesome 2014 SG standard in cherry red and it is what I would designate the perfect standard model for my tastes.It is pretty much like a 61 reissue...same slim horns,basic neck shape with the vintage style neck joint and green tuning pegs.The current 2017/18 standard is nice but it has the wider horns...not as pretty to my eye.Also my 2014 has coil splits which is cool for someone who only owns one guitar and needs more versatility.I own Fenders too for single coil tones so I don't use the coil splits on my SG but they are a good idea.

SG standard likes this.
  17. SG standard

I agree - I own a white one. I chose it over a '13 because of the coil splitting - I find I use it a lot in the middle position, gives that SG a greater range of tones than my '16 Standard. Overall I prefer the look of the angle wing guard, but I bought the '16 so I could have a batwing too. ;)

[​IMG]

jakbur, Sonny Wolf and lcw like this.
  18. lcw

lcw Active Member

We must be bros from another mo lol

For me, the Standard is:
    - batwing
    - 490R/498T
    - Kluson style green key tuners
    - rounded neck (but not 50’s fat)... I’ve seen it called ‘SG rounded’

Both my ‘98 and ‘11 are identical in this respect. I guess it’s just what I’m used to and like.

19. papersoul

papersoul Active Member

Lcw,

Exactly...we are bros..
    LOL.

So guys..
    He ordered a 2016 SG Standard T.

He is not critical or picky as I am so he will most likely love it. I bought my SG Standard by walking into a store and finding the right one. I knew it right away.

He is going to let me look it over when he gets it and do a quick set up. He can always return it.

Thanks for being so cool and helpful guys.

On a side note, I bought a Rio Grande BBQ to replace the 498T in my SG Standard

lcw likes this.
  20. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I think it’s cool how everyone has a different idea of what the perfect Standard is, and even cooler that Gibson changes the model up often to cover everyone. I’d been waiting for them t make my own perfect Standard and it finally came along in 2017, and I couldn’t be happier with it. I’m sure for some it’s the 2018. If it’s not your ideal give it time, yours will come.

lcw, SG standard and Eisel-Elder like this.