What is everyone’s thoughts on the current Standards?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Current lineup...

Original

SG Standard '61 (small guard)
SG Special (small guard)

Modern
SG Standard (batwing)
SG Tribute (batwing)

They need to reconfigure the SG Special lineup.

86 the SG Tribute.
It's an SG Faded with silkscreen crown.

Reissue the SG Classic but with a wraparound bridge instead of TOM. That should be the current SG Special, not the one with small guard.

Rename the current SG Special to SG Special '63 because that was the year they installed the bridge straight across instead of at an angle like the 61 - 62 models.

New lineup should be this...

Original
SG Standard '61 (small guard)
SG Special '63 (small guard)

Modern
SG Standard (batwing)
SG Special (batwing)

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
OK @PermissionToLand
If you've got to resort to insults, you've already lost the argument. Goodbye.

You've lost the argument when you have to tone police and pearl clutch about mild adult language not even directed at you and cut and run because you got called out for being wrong and arrogant about it. It seems you've finally realized you were wrong, even if you can't admit it. Maybe don't completely ignore what somebody is saying to you (especially who is going out of their way to bring factual evidence to the table while you make zero effort and just bloviate) if you don't want them to get frustrated with you.

I HAVE ONLY BEEN COMPARING LIKE WITH LIKE IN TERMS OF PRICES.

NO. YOU. HAVE. NOT.

You're comparing the past retail prices to the 2020 MSRPs. Do I have to screenshot the friggin' Guitar Center page showing the MSRP that you are quoting? Fine:

fndksfnjds.PNG

$1,749 = £1,278

Slightly LESS than the price you gave repeatedly for a 2020 SG Standard.

$1,499 = £1,095

I cannot make this any clearer for you.

And you wonder why I am swearing out of frustration...

not surprising, as we've had very low inflation for many years too.Either it's you being dishonest, or you've simply not been reading what I was saying all along.

The prices are only remotely consistent when adjusted for inflation. They have been changing all along. Here is that same list without adjusting for inflation:

1995: $875
1998: $959
2004: $1,149
2008: $1,572
2010-2012: $1,199
2013: $1,299
2014: $1,645
2015: $1,879
2016: $1,199
2017: $1,399
2018: $1,539
2019: $1,499
2020: $1,499

wOw, lOoK aT AlL tHoSe PrIcE hIkEs!!!!

:facepalm:

It's literally not been the same price for two consecutive years since 2011-2012. You are pointing to some of the most volatile years as "the most consistent". You are just embarrassing yourself by continuing to die on this same hill over and over again.

Since the change of ownership the SG Standard models have seen a price hike - so this is no longer true. The cheapest model is now the Standard in the 'modern' collection, at £1,350without a hard case. The next is the '61 Standard at £1,600.

Take a look at those big bold numbers and pictures I posted above. You are comparing MSRP to street prices. How many times do I have to say this before it gets through your thick skull?

If you can't see a price hike when it's staring you in the face, then sorry, but it's you being thick.

The lack of self awareness in this INSULT (OMG, somebody clutch my pearls!) is incalculable.

All I have said stands, unlike you're bizarre claims: E.g., the current models are good value when compared to inflation adjusted prices from decades ago. Brilliant! Then the models before the price hike were unbelievably, amazingly, incredibly good value by comparison!!! What a genius.

That's all you've got? You can't actually formulate a rebuttal with logic, so all you can do is call my argument "bizzare" and mockingly say "brilliant" and "genius"? Yes, the current models are a roughly equal value to the past models when adjusted for inflation. Can your form a rebuttal? Why not? Because you're WRONG. Grow the hell up.

since you're now into trading insults

... says the guy who just called me "thick" "bizzare" "brilliant" and "genius". You are the worst kind of hypocrite. You have no argument so you've resorted to hypocritical tone policing.

Run away, I knew you would. Because you were always wrong.

Samuel Fuentes

Reaction score
My go to guitars are a SG jr and a les Paul jr. I’ve been using P90s since the late 90s. But recently I’ve been wanting a humbucker loaded guitar. My first choice is of course an SG. So I was wondering what are your thoughts on the current Gibson Standards? I do prefer a slim neck and I see these have a rounded profile. Let me know the good or bad of the recent models

The current standards are fine. what I have a problem with are their high prices and poor quality control.
I have an '72 EB-3L that needs re-finishing, and try as I may, I can't get through to the Company. Would rather send her back to Gibson, but it looks as if I'll have to go to a local Guitar re-finisher. :(

Gibbo SG

Reaction score
The Gibson SG Standard was the SG for someone with money to spend but still wanted a rosewood fretboard and didn't need a bound peghead, but who was otherwise a very discerning player as the earliest SG Standards were very fine, expensively made instruments with single piece bodies, very graceful beveling and the very best electronics bar none.. Bar none!
Today's Gibson SG Standard, and I have one so I can say this, have a 3-piece body, no tremolo, whittled-down peghead, nonoptional wide-bore tuners and nonoptional wide-travel bridge. Gibson sells the real-deal SG Standard today, but players hue and cry about the pricing, so they make a much cheaper, low cost, low end SG but that still has the binding and inlays like the initial run of SG Standards.
Gibson are directing these to players who aren't concerned about traditional bridges, tailpieces, tuners, bevels, electronics, one-piece body construction or headstock size. But if you're just playing Collective Soul or Third Eye Blind at the saloon then you really don't need all of that.
So here's what I'm suggesting to Gibson:save the trapezoid and crown inlays for your most traditional SG Srandards, and do something else on guitars with whittled-down pegheads and three-piece bodies.

Neezduts89

Reaction score
I love mine. It doesn’t have a single flaw and plays like a dream. It’s very versatile as far as getting tones out of it and it sounds good no matter what genre of music I’m playing. The only issue I had was slight nut binding on the G string, but after changing the stock strings out for a set of d addarios, that issue is now gone. I’ve done all of my own setup work and adjustments on it and the guitar stays in tune very well, sounds great in all 3 pickup positions, and plays very well. There are no sharp frets or obstructions on mine whatsoever. Cosmetically, the finish is very nice and everything is exactly how it should be. The quality of my guitar is 10/10 and this one is by far my most favorite guitar that I’ve owned. I won’t even touch another guitar after finding this one

papagayo

Reaction score
2020 SG Standard:

- Medium C rounded neck profile
- Bridge pickup: 490T
- Come in a Soft Shell Case

Vall

Reaction score
This discussion about prices is really interesting! Somehow I don’t get the point, why a Gibson SG would be concidered overpriced... Compared to what? Guitars made in countries with unfairly low sallaries? Compared to MUCH MORE streamlined guitar constructions like bolt on necks instead of hand fitted gluejoints? To thick uretane laquer, no oldfashioned bling like inlays, binding etc.? Even comparing Gibson‘s high grade wood like honduras mahogani and quilted maple to a cheap solid ash guitarbody is completeley unfair.

Also this featured reddit-post ignores the fact, that during the Norlin-Era, de appearance AND the amount of precious materials were stripped down to lower prices. The sound remained the same, but sandwich bodies were used, also the cheaper-to-produce 3pc necks. These are indeed cost saving factors, but Gibson went back to true craftmanship and „honest“, high quality materials. In my opinion, Gibsons marketing and sales staff are aware of that „lifestyle-thing-effect“, but somehow they don‘t highlight the superiority and high costs in material and craftmanship, (not sound or quality in general!) COMPARED to evenly priced guitars from other manufactorers enough. I think, considering these factors, everybody could comprehend Gibson pricetags...

Does this sound snobbish?
What do you think

The reddit post:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/2ni3dp/why_are_gibson_les_pauls_so_expensive/cme23es

LTBR

Reaction score
I had a Standard from 2019. I had the nut changed/filed. Got rid of the 490's. After that I was pleased. It had that sweet smell even after 1,5 years. Finally sold it because I got myself a AY Signature. The Standard became a wallflower and thought it should be played and used. When I compared the two the AY had so much more bite and snap. But I did enjoy my Standard too. To me the most beautiful guitar ever made.

Carrion

Reaction score
My go to guitars are a SG jr and a les Paul jr. I’ve been using P90s since the late 90s. But recently I’ve been wanting a humbucker loaded guitar. My first choice is of course an SG. So I was wondering what are your thoughts on the current Gibson Standards? I do prefer a slim neck and I see these have a rounded profile. Let me know the good or bad of the recent models

I know you would love the slim Taper on the Standard 61' .. I def do ..

2018 Gibson SG Standard 61 & 2017 SG Faded T SG_6.jpg SGF_20.jpg

Carrion

Reaction score
If you want the slim taper necks, go for a 2017 Std. I think they changed them back to thick necks in either 2018 or 2019.

My 2017 Std is a dream.

My 2018 SG Standard 61 still has the Slim Taper, as well as my 2017 SG Faded T. I am not sure of the 2020's

Carrion

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. To be honest I’m also considering an Epiphone Standard SG because of the slim taper neck. Plus I love the white with full black pick guard. I’ve checked out videos comparing them and they were impressive

If you are going Epi .. Go with the ebony fret board Les Paul Custom Pro paul_3.jpg paul_Bsmall.jpg paul_4.jpg !!! I had a 2015 Epi Les Paul Custom and loved it to death ...

Carrion

Reaction score
I just had to look it up to remember but apparently they didn't switch back to the rounded profile necks until the 2020 std model. The 2018s and 2019s still had the slim tapered ones like my 2017.

It's not your hands ;)

I might have been thinking of the switch back to batwings when I posted that.
CORRECT !!