What Is It With "Les Paul Guys?"

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Kevy Nova, Aug 3, 2011.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

[quote author=saxosim link=topic=21782.msg262723#msg262723 date=1321287118]
    Very nice gold top oldrockfan I want one of those :Droolin:

I also would love a p90 equipped guitar which is partly why I want the wildkat next year, that and the Bigsby make it very appealing.
    [/quote]

Those 60s tributes are cool guitars and not really that expensive compared to most gibsons, I recommend them!
    The wildkats are also cool guitars. I had an alleykat which I think is like the wildkat except for color scheme and cosmetic stuff? Kept it for a while and it was fun. I was going to do a pup swap on it but ended up trading it for something or another in my musical chairs of guitar ownership over the years.

Kevy, I remember you talking about that change now and I bet that gets alot of attention on stage. I'd consider it too but I gotta have my dual tone knobs since I like to adjust both the neck and bridge pickup tone control depending on what song I am playing. It is especially important to me on P90 pups since the tone control makes a big difference in how P90s respond to a tube amp cranked up.

2. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

[quote author=Col Mustard link=topic=21782.msg262757#msg262757 date=1321389385]
    :rofl: :funny: :razz: love it, Kevy... why don't you like to use tone control on the neck pickup? I mean, I sorta know the answer but just want to hear what you say. Didja ever want to use a blend pot instead of the three way switch? I did that for a while on my Jazz Bass, but no one could who tried to play it could ever it figure out. Sometimes I'd explain it quickly at a jam, and they still didn't get it. Finally I when I was getting something else done, I told the tech to 'just get it back to factory...' and he did and it works fine as it should. Now that I do my own pots and stuff, if I was going to 'get it back to factory' I'd use cloth wiring and CTS pots and old style capacitors. But you prolly don't let anyone play your Lesters just to watch them struggle with the controls, do you? *grins
    [/quote]

I tend to use my neck pickup for lead and the bridge pickup for rhythm. I set my amp to have a bit more treble than bass and then roll off the treble on the bridge pickup but I like the neck pickup to be full on. It sounds full but also snappy. I just don't like the sound of a neck pickup with the tone turned down at all. I have no problem letting anyone play my guitars/amps because I like to just sit back and hear how good my gear sounds. :)
    But if it's anything other than an SG (Strat, Tele, LP, etc...), I do have to explain the controls because I completely rewire/reconfigure all of my guitars except for the SGs.

3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=21782.msg262770#msg262770 date=1321418425]
    I have no problem letting anyone play my guitars/amps because I like to just sit back and hear how good my gear sounds. :)[/quote]

now does THAT sound like a "les paul guy?" :police: *laughs... I myself dearly love to hear someone else play my guitars, because of the reason you say here. I have my gear set up so that I like the sound, but I find that I like it even more when somebody else plays it and I get to hear it from out in front. I really like it when somebody plays my SG who is a better player than I am. Gives me hope... :? And I set up my daughter's Epi Les Paul really nicely for a cheap guitar, so that when she let her BF play it, and he said, "This is a GOOD guitar..." I was delighted. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

4. telebutcher

telebutcher Member

Anyone who plays my stuff is ALWAYS a better player than I am!!

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

[quote author=telebutcher link=topic=21782.msg262984#msg262984 date=1322755229]
    Anyone who plays my stuff is ALWAYS a better player than I am!!
    [/quote]

I can relate to this. It is even worse because my son is way better than me and I was his initial teacher ???

reminds me of starwars quote... ;D

it is fun to hear someone play your gear so you can get a different perspective.

6. telebutcher

telebutcher Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=21782.msg262986#msg262986 date=1322763405]
    I can relate to this. It is even worse because my son is way better than me and I was his initial teacher ???

reminds me of starwars quote... ;D

it is fun to hear someone play your gear so you can get a different perspective.
    [/quote]

Hehe, yes i know how that goes, my daughter is now better than I am. Something about students being better (eventualy) than their teachers........ Btw, when peolple hear me play there is no doubt what the "butcher" in my user name refers to!

7. adrian81

adrian81 New Member

Nice thread...

Yeah.. but I guess it's not about the ownership of a specific type of guitar...

It's about a specific type of people who like to brag about their "expensive" stuffs...

It can be guitars, cars, homes, etc...

reSINguitarist likes this.
  8. cooljuk

cooljuk Member

Ha! I've totally seen the stories play out just as the OP describes them. It's the same as the guy that says, "Call me on my iPhone later." It's a little odd, but folks are proud of their toys I guess.

I have one correction though - if I had a Daisy Rock guitar, I would absolutely go to the counter and say, "I need a pack of strings for my Daisy Rock guitar." In fact, next time I buy strings at a shop, I might just say that anyway.

bwotw and reSINguitarist like this.
  9. Kevy Nova

Yes, I've noticed the iPhone thing too! And in the interest of full disclosure, I have an iPhone and three Les Pauls and I love them all. :dude:

But I don't have a Daisy Rock guitar.... yet.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Just got the Sweetwater catalog - lots of stuff for iPhone/iPad guys to interface with, even a pedal that works from your phone. Not for me.....but hey, for others, great.

11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Isn't somebody making a pedalboard that has an ipad doc on it and you download stompbox apps to it as well? I think I read that it stores up to 99 different pedalboards and you can just bring them up. "A completely different pedalboard for each song!"

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Digitech, if I recall, makes one. But it seems to be spreading.

13. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Adrian,
    If I had the bucks and could drop $350k on a 59 LP then you better damn believe i'm gonna brag about it ! :dude:

I'm hoping this topic doesn't turn into a pissing contest. Die hard LP Guys luv their LP's and die hard SG guys love their SG's

One crazed fan of a particular model is no better then the other.
    We are all the same and lets keep it that way.

14. Kevy Nova

Lou, I don't want it to turn into some kind of internet battle either because, well, I hate that kind of stuff. I just find it interesting and funny how everyone says, "I brought my guitar" unless it's a LP, then they say "I brought my Les Paul." Cooljuk nailed it when he said it's like people who say "Call me on my iPhone." Nobody ever says "Call me on my Droid."

15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Exactly. Most of the main guitars used are way more versatile than the players that own them.
    We all get fixated on the guitars our "heros" played...but they could have just as easily used something else and made great music.

16. reSINguitarist

reSINguitarist New Member

My thing about that is that two of the three guitars I own that I might bring to a blues jam are LPs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of "those guys," but I will say, "I brought the Epi" or "I brought the red one" and sometimes even "I brought the Samick."

Then again, I don't walk into a shop and say "I need strings for my Les Paul..."

I do take pride in owning my LPs, but like I've said in another post in another thread, "My next two guitars will be a Tele and an SG, in no particular order."

I don't think I'm alone here in believing that when it comes to guitars, just like mechanics' "instruments," you've gotta have the right tool for the job.

Eli:wave:

17. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't singling you out ......It was just a general comment. :thumb:

18. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

I always say I will bring my Beat to Shite Epi cause I am proud of it. I am and a LP guy, Strat guy now Tele and maybe soon to be SG guy, if i can find a beater to fix up. I do think that a lot of LP guys can be snobish, but to me all the various makes and models have well deserved part in our history as musicians and music lovers in general.

SG Lou likes this.
  19. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Member

:laugh2:

I'm definitely not one of those guys. I love my Les Pauls (I had 2 Gibson Les Pauls and 2 Epiphone Les Pauls) but I also own guitars that blow away 99% of the Gibsons made...

Like these, for instance. :naughty:

[​IMG]

(and no, it makes no sense to walk into a store and go "Oh yeah, I want some strings for some custom shop guitars that were made for me! LOL)

20. Kevy Nova

Those are pretty sweet looking, especially the one on the right. What are they?

By the way, I just checked out your reverberation page and I'm listening to your stuff, it's excellent. If you ever make your way down to the SF Bay Coast, let me know. I host an acoustic open mic on Thursdays and know of quite a few other open mics and electric jams in the area.

The_Sentry likes this.