What is this model?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Stella, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Stella

Stella Member

I have a friend looking to sell this “thing.” I don’t know what it is, but I can’t imagine that it’s anything great. Any help is appreciated.

8056F222-8F39-4516-A9EC-FFEA05BB1E75.jpeg 0BE8DDB2-A63A-4580-A62C-710BB938212A.jpeg 4BACC237-0DDD-405C-9E1B-3D9C51749C5B.jpeg

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Does The body looks too think to be a reshaped sg???

but the headstock and neck binding????

It's actually one of the better looking re-shaped body guitars I've seen.

Stella likes this.
  3. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Looks like early Norlin years to me, possibly modified SG or even a LP. I have seen that body shape before (just not on a Gibson).

I got only one question... How Much?
    That thing seriously makes me want to go out to the garage at 10 pm on a Tuesday, turn it up to "11" with the door open, and play "Smoke on the Water" until somebody calls the cops! :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Nemesis0710 and Stella like this.
  4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Two tunes will get you thrown out of a London guitar shop. Smoke on the water and Wonderwall. Anything else, you are safe. But the guitar? Definitely not a reshaped SG. For a start it is symmetrical and secondly an Sg's horns are smaller than those curves. I'm going with the Norlin idea. They did experiment with some weird and wonderful for a while.

Hammer and Stella like this.
  5. Go Nigel Go

The trick is not CARING when they come to shut you down! If you don't wind up in handcuffs in the back of a squad car with no shirt on and grinning like a serial killer, you're doing it wrong. :D That's the kind of vibe I am getting off this axe. It would probably qualify as an "attractive nuisance" all by itself in 48 states...:rofl:

Seriously though, where is it and how much? I wouldn't pay a LOT but I WOULD buy it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Stella and donepearce like this.
  6. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

could be a re-shaped firebrand solid body 335. but I don't think they ever had the neck binding or trapezoid inlays.

Stella likes this.
  7. Stella

Stella Member

Thanks for the responses.

So, as far as I can tell, it’s an early 1970 neck. The body is either an SG or Firebrand. The electronics look jacked up. I can’t read the date codes. He’s asking $550, which isn’t terrible, but I’d likely just repurpose the neck for another build and sell off what I could.

Here are some more pics:

5050D0A0-3A4F-4EDB-B1C2-BD415C5DD8C9.jpeg AAA7DC06-0E49-4CFC-9E7D-AD7459C3680C.jpeg 7C60BB0F-3442-42E0-BFCA-B47DDC12B5C0.jpeg

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  8. Go Nigel Go

I could almost see paying $550 for the cool factor IF it plays well and includes the hard shell case. Personally that would be about my absolute limit, and then only if after getting a chance to play it I was satisfied it was a solid player. Even if it was built from salvage parts to begin with, if it was well done by someone who knew how to make it sing it might be worth that. I like a guitar with some history, even if it is a bit sordid and unseemly. It all comes down to if it's a player or a wall hanger. It is probably one of a kind, but if it is a wall hanger (not really mechanically solid or otherwise unplayable) then it would be worth basically the sum of it's parts. That would probably be a couple hundred give or take. I would have to know a lot more good things about it to pay more than $300 - $350.

Stella likes this.
  9. Stella

Stella Member

I’ve also been told that it’s a boat anchor, but does sound good and play well. Somehow, the nut is wide (which blows my 1970 theory about the neck). Two of the decoders come back with nothing, but one of them shows this (obviously, I don’t trust it):

91C453FC-3A61-48BD-B892-4EA5EC6303FC.jpeg

10. Go Nigel Go

Yeah, I ran the serial number through a couple of those and got a similarly wide range of results. Basically it could be any number of things... The serial number decoders just aren't going to be much help here. I think it is going to be a bit like adopting a shelter dog, you go with your gut based on what you are presented with and hope for the best. We have two shelter cats that I wouldn't sell for anything. Get to know it, follow your instincts, expect to clean up a few messes on the floor until the two of you come to an understanding. Who knows, with a little luck you might have a best friend for life... or it might eat your face off.

11. DJGranite

DJGranite Member

• Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson collecting vintage gibson guitars (guitarhq.com)

Gibson Solidbody instruments 1952 to 1960:
      • No number: 1952 to early 1953
      • ink stamped numbers in back top of peghead. First number denotes last digit of year, followed by a space and 4 digits, or no space and 5 digits. No space and 5 digits following the year only occured in 1955, 1956, 1959 and 1960. In 1955 Gibson forgot to reset their serial number back to #5 0001. Instead they continued the 1954 series, just changing the first digit to a "5" for 1955. For this reason the serial numbers exceeded "5 9999", hence 5 digits and no space following the year had to be used. Apparently production was high enough in 1956 to exceed "6 9999". 1959 & 1960 production was also very high, exceeding "9 9999" and going to "932000" or higher.
      All models, NO "made in U.S.A." stamped on peghead, 1961 to 1969:
      • 4 or 5 digits impressed in back top of peghead: 1961 to 1964.
      • 6 digits impressed in back top of peghead: 1963 to 1969.
      All models, "made in U.S.A." stamped-on the peghead, 1970 to present.
      Stamped on the back of the peghead. The "U.S.A." is below the "Made in", which is below the stamped-on serial number. All stamps in the same size type. Used from 1970 to present:
      • 6 digits impressed in back top of peghead: 1970 to 1975.
      • Letter followed by 3 digits, custom shop or limited edition models only: 1971 to present.
      • Number on decal: 1975 to 1977.
      • 8 digits impressed in back top of peghead: 1977 to present.

12. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

It's hard to see that being an actual model.. or prototype. It just screams "re-shaped body". But it's one of the better re-imagined body shaped guitar's I've seen and it's well executed.

With that neck heel... this guitar pretty much had to start it's life as an SG..no???

It's looks like this body shape would fit into an SG. If that's the case, then all the features would fall into place.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  13. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    This is not a reshaped SG. I've made an overlay image with them scaled to the same size, and the lower bouts of the mystery guitar are far wider than those of the SG.

upload_2021-7-30_15-47-33.png

Hammer, Go Nigel Go and Stella like this.
  14. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Looks like the Solid 335 may be the most likely donor candidate with that waist size discrepancy?

Would it fit into a LP???

15. Stella

Stella Member

Thanks for doing that.

16. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

It looks like a reshaped 335 S or a Firebrand but the inlays and binding don't match. Definitely a weird one.

Norton likes this.
  17. Stella

Stella Member

It’s got everyone stumped for sure…I guess it will remain a mystery. I don’t know if the neck was taken from an SG, and possibly put on another homemade body, or if it was indeed a modified Firebrand or 335 S body. The neck and heel sure seem SG to me, but thanks to @donepearce, it’s obvious that the body is something else.

I’m passing at $550, as the guitar seems unidentifiable. It belongs to a friend of a friend. He bought it secondhand at a reputable music store back in the 80s, but apparently never got any details then. I have a feeling that he’s going to get a barrage of questions on his forthcoming Craigslist ad. I’ve relayed everything that’s been guessed here. Thanks to all of you for the help.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  18. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

I don't know if the neck is original to the body. I don't think it is a Firebrand. They never had binding or trapazoid inlays (assuming the inlays here have not been added / replaced).

Also the serial numbers on Firebrands were the post '77 8 number ones.

The 335s Deluxe which is essentially a Firebrand that never had the Firebrand headstock did have a bound neck, but it had dot inlays

I'm thinking the body could be a modified Melody Maker. The one has certainly had a hard life regardless.

Go Nigel Go and Norton like this.
  19. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

melody maker would match that neck/body joint! Those inlays look kinda 90's to me but that's a tough call with the pics.

I think you've solved it flognoth!

20. Go Nigel Go

I knew this was ringing some bells in the back of my mind, and I finally figured out where! This isn't the same thing, but it is eerily similar in several ways. I always assumed the guitar in this video was a "modified" Les Paul shape, and unlike the one in this thread, it appears to have a carved top (like a LP) instead of a flat top. What is similar though is the wide lower bout, and narrow waist and shoulders. No horns or cutaways on this one though, it is mainly the general size and proportions that was pinging my lizard brain and finally dredged up this memory. While this doesn't help identify what it is (either one for that matter), it does establish precedent to some extent. While not siblings (neck joint is completely different for example), these two could be first cousins and I don't know what they are. It is precisely the same vibe though, and I love it. :naughty:

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD - Inside Looking Out 1969 - YouTube

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021