What is your favorite guitar ?

MR D

Reaction score
I will say this, though I don't have a "favorite" guitar, the guitar which currently meets my needs and preferences most completely is this one right here:

View attachment 48569

Since acquiring this guitar, I have barely played any of my others as this can ably muster the tones I'm trying to achieve.

It also feels most like a "guitar" to me.

Purely personal preferences, of course.
BTW, I'm not up to speed on FALCON's but are the p-up's TV Jones or Filtertron's? or are they the same thing ? IDK , really don't...I do kno they are frikkin' MASSIVE Guitars though....Billy D told me so.....

MR D

Reaction score
My favorite inexpensive guitar is this '04 Gibson SG Special, pickups are Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1 and the bridge is a Gibson ABR-1 mounted with Faber studs adapters, saddles are brass made. A really cool guitar .

View attachment 48570
NICE ONE ! Do you still have the original pickup's ? '57's were they ? wait, 490's, yes? Have you seen the prices of new GIBSON's ? #OLY $#!T !! I bought a Flyin V '70'sTribute in Classic White in October, 2021...$1999, NO SALES TAX and FREE SHIPPING...Same Guitar today, same Frikkin' guitar, FFS ! Flying V '70's Tribute in White....$2,499 Plus Tax....GIBSON USA is doin everyone a favour (SIC) w/free shipping....thats just shy of $2,700 USDollars for the same guitar....less than a year on.... for a price increase of $700 or just about 27% price increase in 8 months....oh yeah, I C NOW... the USDollar/Euro are fuckin worthless.

So, I guess you do have an inexpensive guitar there, but IDK, really ? I figure $700-$800 is a fair price for that AXE.....for a modded 15-20 year old GIBSON SG Special, yes?......I can remember when SG Standards cost only a bit more than that much new, and were considered 'pricey'.......**** ME !

Knucklehead71

Reaction score
These two

elPCpag.jpeg

smitty_p

Reaction score
BTW, I'm not up to speed on FALCON's but are the p-up's TV Jones or Filtertron's? or are they the same thing ? IDK , really don't...I do kno they are frikkin' MASSIVE Guitars though....Billy D told me so.....

The pickups in my Falcon are FilterTrons; though, Gretsch does use TV Jones brand in some of their models. A TV Jones is a replica of the vintage FilterTron.

One way to think about it is that Fralin makes a version of PAF pickups. Fralin didn't invent them, but he makes a very good replica of them. So, you can say that Fralin makes PAFs, though he didn't create them.

I hope that makes sense.

One thing to keep in mind about Gretsch is that they are always changing something. They've been like this almost since they started making guitars. At times in their history they would make mid-production changes so frequently that their printed literature couldn't keep up!

Even within the singular model of the White Falcon, there have been numerous variations over the years to controls, tailpieces, bridges, etc. To the casual observer, it's all the same big, white guitar! But, even within the same model year, Gretsch may have variations on the theme - all of which may be called a White Falcon.

To us neurotic people who can't sit still and bore easily...that's a good thing!

MR D

Reaction score
The pickups in my Falcon are FilterTrons; though, Gretsch does use TV Jones brand in some of their models. A TV Jones is a replica of the vintage FilterTron.

One way to think about it is that Fralin makes a version of PAF pickups. Fralin didn't invent them, but he makes a very good replica of them. So, you can say that Fralin makes PAFs, though he didn't create them.

I hope that makes sense.

One thing to keep in mind about Gretsch is that they are always changing something. They've been like this almost since they started making guitars. At times in their history they would make mid-production changes so frequently that their printed literature couldn't keep up!

Even within the singular model of the White Falcon, there have been numerous variations over the years to controls, tailpieces, bridges, etc. To the casual observer, it's all the same big, white guitar! But, even within the same model year, Gretsch may have variations on the theme - all of which may be called a White Falcon.

To us neurotic people who can't sit still and bore easily...that's a good thing!
AH-HA, OK, TNX 4 clearing that up, as I did not know but had heard things, and, of course, that just complicated my confusion....
I've been hearing good things about FRALIN Pick-ups and was even contemplating swappin out a '61 T (Ice Pick) on an SG I have...and I kinda dont want to go the ole Duncan DiMarzio route...so FRALIN was makin me curious.

Question ? If you wanted a Bridge Pick-up that was going to be CLEAR but could go to FULL ON BLUDGEON TO DEATH METAL Pickup, which FRALIN would you go with ? Any suggestion will help as I've no clue when it comes to the Fralins.

skelt101

Reaction score
AH-HA, OK, TNX 4 clearing that up, as I did not know but had heard things, and, of course, that just complicated my confusion....
I've been hearing good things about FRALIN Pick-ups and was even contemplating swappin out a '61 T (Ice Pick) on an SG I have...and I kinda dont want to go the ole Duncan DiMarzio route...so FRALIN was makin me curious.

Question ? If you wanted a Bridge Pick-up that was going to be CLEAR but could go to FULL ON BLUDGEON TO DEATH METAL Pickup, which FRALIN would you go with ? Any suggestion will help as I've no clue when it comes to the Fralins.
Nothing wrong with the ole Duncan DiMarzio route, D! There's a reason they've been in business as long as they have. Regarding which Fralin pickup, it sounds like you might be looking at the "High Output". Probably best to get a recommendation from the source though...
Fralin Humbuckers
Fralin also makes a few exclusive models for RS Guitarworks, which can be found here:
RS Guitarworks Pickups
Whichever way you go, prepare yourself for sticker shock. :shock:

MR D

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the ole Duncan DiMarzio route, D! There's a reason they've been in business as long as they have. Regarding which Fralin pickup, it sounds like you might be looking at the "High Output". Probably best to get a recommendation from the source though...
Fralin Humbuckers
Fralin also makes a few exclusive models for RS Guitarworks, which can be found here:
RS Guitarworks Pickups
Whichever way you go, prepare yourself for sticker shock. :shock:
Yo Skelt, #OLY $#!T ! U ain't Kiddin' 'sticker shock'. I suppose Fralin see's GIBSON USA selling pickup's like '57 Classice for $160 + Tax/per and they figure they can do it too ?

I have almost never swapped out a GIBSON pickup ! I figure if they made the original P-90, they know whaaaat the **** they are doing....just that the BB2 & BB3 I have in an EXPLORER are WEAK compared to the FLYIN V '70's Tribute H'Buckers...it makes the EXPLORER sound sad....gotta correct that.thats why I was lookin at Fralins...IDK BB 3 is especially anemic.

Maguchi

Reaction score
My favorite is an SG Standard made in 2000, perfect neck profile, low action, great sound (490R/498T), I have a very good feeling when I play this SG.
I love the look of this Second Millennium Ltd Edition with gold hardware, the bridge is a stock Gibson ABR-1 and the Gibson/TKL case is really cool.
Because this is an SG forum, I'd like to say a 2020 Gibson '61 SG Standard reissue. But honestly it's really a 2015 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. But the '61 SG is a very close second.

61SG.jpg LPCstm.jpg

Last edited:

beerbelly

Reaction score
By far my favorite is my '64 SG Junior, a beat up one that I refinished. That 57 year old mahogany is lightweight, rings like a bell and shakes like an earthquake:

full front.jpg
Weight.jpg

But my recently acquired SG Special is a very close second. Feels exactly the same in my hands, with 95% of that old mahogany mojo:

20220713_143210.jpg
20220713_144246.jpg

MR D

Reaction score
Because this is an SG forum, I'd like to say a 2020 Gibson '61 SG Standard reissue. But honestly it's really a 2015 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. But the '61 SG is a very close second.

View attachment 49007 View attachment 49008
SWEET AXES BRO, may i ask ?

What pickups are in the Les Paul CUSTOM ? I had to wait 7 long years to get CUSTOMBUCKERS in one of those Les Paul CUSTOM's...I just could not buy a CUSTOM shop guitar with 490's in it, NO WAY I did not pull them out and look but the retailer said they are CUSTOMBUCKERS...My Lester Custom doesn't have the Gold headstock In-Lays, they're white as are the body and neck bindings...mine is a bit of a Weird one, those In-Lays/bindings are supposed to be GOLD, yes? N E Way but it is definitely a 2019 GIBSON Les Paul CUSTOM....I almost never play mine as I am scared of what I will do to it. My EXPLORER 'Elite' has had the flyin **** kicked out of it , and still swings like a Champ, so it is the daily beater ! the Lester CUSTOM comes out on special occasions like Easter Sunday and I play 'MY SWEET LORD' on it at deafening decibel levels ....then quickly put it away before I dent it or the cops show up!!

What are the swirly designs on the body binding, don't recall ever seeing that? Although I do not closely inspect all Les Paul CUSTOMS I see at shows, and I do not even think about asking to play/inspect other people's guitars.

Maguchi

Reaction score
SWEET AXES BRO, may i ask ?

What pickups are in the Les Paul CUSTOM ? I had to wait 7 long years to get CUSTOMBUCKERS in one of those Les Paul CUSTOM's...I just could not buy a CUSTOM shop guitar with 490's in it, NO WAY I did not pull them out and look but the retailer said they are CUSTOMBUCKERS...My Lester Custom doesn't have the Gold headstock In-Lays, they're white as are the body and neck bindings...mine is a bit of a Weird one, those In-Lays/bindings are supposed to be GOLD, yes? N E Way but it is definitely a 2019 GIBSON Les Paul CUSTOM....I almost never play mine as I am scared of what I will do to it. My EXPLORER 'Elite' has had the flyin **** kicked out of it , and still swings like a Champ, so it is the daily beater ! the Lester CUSTOM comes out on special occasions like Easter Sunday and I play 'MY SWEET LORD' on it at deafening decibel levels ....then quickly put it away before I dent it or the cops show up!!

What are the swirly designs on the body binding, don't recall ever seeing that? Although I do not closely inspect all Les Paul CUSTOMS I see at shows, and I do not even think about asking to play/inspect other people's guitars.
Thanks,

The pickups are Gibson '68 Custom humbuckers and came with the guitar. Yeah the inlays are goldish. Not a Black Beauty expert or nothin' like that, but I seen gold-ish, off white and bright white headstock inlays on different Black Beauties. I guess the trim and inlays as well as pickups varies depending on year or what year a reissue is trying to emulate. I don't know cause like I say I'm not no expert.

Really? You don't play yours out? I do, depending on where I'm playing. All of my guitars get played out. But I'm very careful with it and watch it closely. When the sound and feel of a guitar inspires me on stage or at home I play better. The reason I play is for the thrill of a good sounding and feeling guitar, so I gotta play it out. I have a feeling the value appreciates at about the same rate as the guitar may depreciate from whatever wear and tear I may put on the guitar by playing it out.

Not sure what swirly designs you're referring to. It might be more and less light or sunlight coming through the window in some areas of the photo. The binding is from outer edge to inner edge a thick stripe and 3 much thinner stripes. The binding is kind of like a dark cream, gold or maybe a mustard color not unlike the TV yellow on an LP Junior or Special. The headstock inlay is more gold than the binding. Don't know how they did that, maybe a tint in the clearcoat covering the headstock.

Rock on! A Black Beauty, or any guitar is at its best when it's played loud, proud and often. It ain't no "redheaded stepchild" that you hide in the attic.

P.S. I checked the pic on my previous post and see the swirly stuff by the cutaway and bass side of the upper bout that you're talking about. It only looks like that on the pic I sent from the phone to a laptop. For me this site only lets me post photos from my laptop and the site tells me the file is too large to attach when I try to post photos from my phone. And when this pic is sent from phone to laptop as an email attachment, it comes out as that swirly stuff in the binding. That same pic on my phone doesn't have that swirly jive. Cyber gremlins, weird, wild wacky stuff!

LPCustom binding.jpg

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Thanks,

The pickups are Gibson '68 Custom humbuckers and came with the guitar. Yeah the inlays are goldish. Not a Black Beauty expert or nothin' like that, but I seen gold-ish, off white and bright white headstock inlays on different Black Beauties. I guess the trim and inlays as well as pickups varies depending on year or what year a reissue is trying to emulate. I don't know cause like I say I'm not no expert.

Really? You don't play yours out? I do, depending on where I'm playing. All of my guitars get played out. But I'm very careful with it and watch it closely. When the sound and feel of a guitar inspires me on stage or at home I play better. The reason I play is for the thrill of a good sounding and feeling guitar, so I gotta play it out. I have a feeling the value appreciates at about the same rate as the guitar may depreciate from whatever wear and tear I may put on the guitar by playing it out.

Not sure what swirly designs you're referring to. It might be more and less light or sunlight coming through the window in some areas of the photo. The binding is from outer edge to inner edge a thick stripe and 3 much thinner stripes. The binding is kind of like a dark cream, gold or maybe a mustard color not unlike the TV yellow on an LP Junior or Special. The headstock is more gold than the binding. Don't know how they did that, maybe a tint in the clearcoat covering the headstock.

Rock on! That Black Beauty is at its best when it's played loud, proud and often. It ain't no "redheaded stepchild" that you hide in the attic.

P.S. I checked the pic on my previous post and see the swirly stuff by the cutaway and bass side of the upper bout that you're talking about. It only looks like that on the pic attached to my post on this site. That same pic on my phone doesn't have that swirly jive. Cyber gremlins, weird, wild wacky stuff!

View attachment 49017
I’m guessing the plek’d top edge of the fretboard binding is the actual color without lacquer.

Maguchi

Reaction score
I’m guessing the plek’d top edge of the fretboard binding is the actual color without lacquer.
Could be, not that familiar with guitar construction methods. I just look at 'em, play 'em and change the strings. Setup and intonation is done by a tech. Yellow, white gold, what's the diff? Can't see it when I'm playing. The only part of the guitar I see when I'm playing is the fretboard when I glance at which fret I'm gonna go to. YMMV

Last edited:

Latest posts