What kind of dirt pedals y'all playing?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by gtone, Nov 27, 2011.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=mdubya link=topic=21987.msg263005#msg263005 date=1322866165]
    I have been playing my Maestro Fuzz forever.

[/quote]

That is a classic! Fuzz - not overdrive or distortion, just real fuzz!

Also good points, gtone. I played a Showman for years in the 70's - you needed a pedal for saturation, just like the Twin.

2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Original ProCo Rat with the fenders.
    or
    Burn channel of a Mesa Express.

3. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

I have been using a Behringer TO800 as my main pedal for two years now with no problems whatsoever. Had a Ibanez TS 808 tubescreamer for a short time, i liked it, but just couldn't justify the price.

FWIW, i think TS works better when you use it as a boost or into an allready overdriven amp; it has a slightly more 'organic' sound.
    But if you use it as a pure distortion (with impossible-to-overdrive fenders), Behringer actually wins, becouse the drive control has more range, and it sounds a bit smoother & creamier. Works good on solid state amps too.
    But they are really close sound-wise. Build quality is another story, but were talking 30€ vs 200€... :-\

Other than that, I had a boss DS2 which I didn't like at all, and still have a behringer Ultra Distortion 100 (DS2 clone) which is total garbage...

For fuzz, I have an Artec classic fuzz, which is... interesting becouse you can blend 2 channels, but has way too little output for live use. When I hit the fuzz, I want everybody to hear it (and feel it in their guts) ;D

That's where Behringer Ultra fuzz comes in (it's a boss FZ2 clone) - really loud, mean and nasty. Good thing about it are totally cool bass and treble boost/cut knobs.
    It does it's job, although I'd like a more 60s type fuzz someday...

These two beringers are the only two that I really really liked sound-wise.
    Also like proco rat2, gotta find one cheap.

4. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Active Member

I use lots of them in my rig as I like to run my amps clean and use pedals for all of the gain, it's just more versatile and sounds best to me for what I do. My specialty/knack in playing is to nail the tone and playing everything note for note from recordings in a live setting. I am a tribute band or sideman guitarist. I was in a tribute band for 3 years and I am doing a lot of that stuff still to this day. I like to tailor each dirt to a couple songs that sound like the original recording. I also bring lots of guitars to each gig to cover all bases. I use clean Fender Blackface amps and am not much of a Marshall guy as far as my preference for amps. I'd rather use pedals for that tone. I just like the clean Fender BF amp + dirt pedal combo and it seems a lot of guys especially Nashville guys are going this route too. I have to cover a lot of range in my gigs and for an amp to do what my pedals do it'd have to be something crazy like a 10 channel amp with 10 different voicings or multiple amps which I'm not into. I prefer the pedal route. It sounds great and allows me the versatility and variety I need from my rig.

That said (explaining it), these are my dirts. The first pic is my actual gigging board, the second pic is my "dirt reserve" that I can change out with anything at any time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

UPDATE: The Greenhouse Goldrive, as nice sounding as it was, got replaced by a Basic Audio Futureman. The Goldrive was just a touch too smooth at times whereas the Futureman can get grittier and this is most often the case when I need some dirt (typically with my little Champ playing slide).

The Futureman is really an OD bordering on fuzz a la Keeley Fuzzhead. Far more useful for my needs than most fuzz pedals I've come across which sound best with the fuzz maxed.

6. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

It's like a Smörgåsbord for me based on how I feel ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CATMANDUE and gtone like this.
  7. nathan

nathan New Member

i usually just carry 2. 1 dirt pedal and a boost for solos.

for dirt:
    MarkV shredhead or freakshow fx rabbit or '85 WFRAT or jam pedals rattler or dano transparent OD

for boost: the shredhead usually gets paired with a modded GE7 eq. the rabbit/WFRAT/rattler (all "rat" type pedals) with a BYOC tri-boost. the dano cool cat TOD is usually paired with a dano cool cat fuzz (set to low fuzz, slightly trebly, and volume up)

routing is usually dirt -> boost except when using the dano TOD and fuzz. that sounds better with the fuzz going first.

8. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Here's a little taste o' that new Basic Audio Futureman:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_BKOhzZ-x4]Basic Audio Futureman - YouTube[/ame]

9. bloosman1

bloosman1 Active Member

Thank God for Marshall amplification!
    ---J---

10. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Anybody have a Tonebender MkII or a derivative? Wondering how those clean up...

Edited to add - Noticed Voxman had a MKII after going through past posts. How do you like it?

11. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvlIdKMFNg]Lumpy's Tone Shop - Lemon Drop raw demo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZTKasUWms]Lumpy's Tone Shop - Lemon Drop - YouTube[/ame]

Sold the treble boost, bought one of these. Great for a good chunk of the vintage material we have to cover - Zep, Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Faces, etc.

12. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Oh man GT it's the absolute best I've ever had ... it has the rare OC81D trannys n is the exact pedal page used for the first 4 zeper albums BUT I got offered 4K plus other pedals for it from a pedal collector who never located the OC81D version but had all the others!

13. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Those are all quality stuff. I watched that PGS video with the Rothwell, and I'll be damned I thought the pedal sounded more like the real thing than the amp. It would have been nice had they configured the tone knobs to sound a bit closer to one another. But hell that thing sounds great.

The ZVEX BOR is a nice pedal for sure. Better than the BOM.

I mostly use a ZVEX SHO for boost. I would love to get a tonebender mark 1.5 for that Ronno sound sometime. I might build one someday.

To go along with what Kevy and some others have said, some of the original designs like the BOSS SD-1 really are so underrated. That pedal and the Tunescreamer are the basis for almost every dirt pedal there is with just some changes added in. You can't really go wrong with them, I also like the original ProCo Rat's but I think those work better for bass than guitar. Rats are finicky on which guitar and amp set up they will work well with.

mdubya likes this.
  14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Well put.

I recently redid my pedalboard (again!) and this time would up with 2 of the cheapo Danelectro FAB boxes, a distortion before the wah and an overdrive after the wah.

For some reason I really like the sound these things have, more than a lot of the expensive pedals. Go figure! Currently in use:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I don't have one of these yet, but NEPOT (Never Ending Pursuit of Tone) is making me consider this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMPUPWQztcA"]Suhr Riot Distortion Pedal Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Ah, NEPOT....ism.

Oddly that's what brought me back to those Dano cheapies - they make the sounds I like easily.

17. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Although I've never tried one, I've heard good things about several Dano pedals. If they were keepers, I'd probably rehouse them though.

Several years back and before my soldering skills were honed, I had a nice little first run Arion SAD-1 analog delay that I was going to get rehoused. Sold it instead, thinking why should I pay $75 for someone to do it when I can just get another delay pedal instead. BIG mistake selling it (wish I had it back today, to be honest) and it definitely wouldn't be going anywhere if I could do it all over again.

Point is, although a pedal can be cheaply made and cost very little, surely doesn't mean it can't sound fantastic. Those cheap switches, jacks and POS plastic housings have to go though!

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I've heard about guys re-housing the Danos - and then selling them!

19. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Here are mine:

On the right is a TS-9 TubeScreamer that I converted to TS-808 specs. It is a relatively simple mod which includes replacing the op amp.

On the left is a Boss DS-1 that I modified with the Monte Allums Tri-Gain mod. This is a very extensive mod that replaces several resistors and capacitors with components of higher quality and/or a different value. It also replaces the stock op amp with a pair of Burr Brown op amps. There is also a small toggle switch installed where the word, "Tone" used to be on the pedal. This is the tri-gain feature. When the switch is to the left, a pair of silicon diodes is used for the clipping circuit. In the center, the clipping diodes are lifted and the pedal is more like a high gain boost. Though, it is still overdriven. When the switch is to the right, a red LED and a germanium diode are used for clipping.

This mod really helps the pedal. It still is not as high gain as some other boutique pedals, but it fixes alot of the thin fizziness of a stock DS-1 and adds some unique voicing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    KoA, gtone and PDXVOX like this.
  20. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

i use a marshall bluesdriver 2, gives my vox a different twist to the vox sound. byoc od2 its a nice ts808 sound and made it my self and i have a byoc leeds fuzz also made up by myself and sounds fantastic. would like to try an octave fuzz 1 octave up and 1 down