What kind of dirt pedals y'all playing?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by gtone, Nov 27, 2011.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I need to learn more about that DS-1 mod...it may help me get mine out of the effects locker again.

2. PDXVOX

PDXVOX New Member

I bought a DS-1 for the express purpose of modding it. My soldering skills are a little rusty, but I figure I won't cry over it if I botch the job the first time around.

I'm also using a Turbo Tube Screamer TS-9DX. Assuming all goes well with the DS-1, I may take a stab at modding this pedal.

And Voxman, that's a whole lot o' pedals! :wow: Love the Fender bottle opener. I need one of those.

3. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I ended up getting the Zvex Distortron instead. It is basically a Box of Rock with a switch to boost it into Box of Metal territory. It has a subs switch too. Very well made pedal. I am impressed. It was about $129 on sale.

I really like playing it into my Champion 600, which with a new tube, has turned out to be a great little amp.

The Distortron sounds pretty daggone good into my 1976 Marshall 2204, set clean, too.

The Maestro still gets a good work out regularly, too.

Overall, I am a pretty happy camper these days.

Did I mention how much I like my Champion 600 with the new tube in it? :hmm:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avbOaNa5y64]ZVex Vextron Distortron - YouTube[/ame]

4. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

How does the pedal work for you being built "sideways?" I'd think with the pedal being built the way it is you'd have to aim more carefully with your toe to keep from hitting the knobs.

BTW, how do you like your Champion 600 with the new tube!

5. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

It hasn't been something I have noticed. I guess I could see it being a problem for others though. I use it for quiet practice. Not sure how it would work out in a loud, animated live situation.

:laugh2: :dude:

6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

It's a serious issue - sometimes the layout of a pedal, or the pedals as a whole, can make live sound changes easy - or harder!

So it is always useful to have things that work for you. If you never play out, then your needs are different from the gigging pro, and rightly so.

7. smitty_p

Yup. That's one reason why I tend to look at Boss or Ibanez first. Boss pedals really take the ergonomic issue seriously. With the entire front 2/3 of the pedal surface area being the actuating surface, and with it being raised above the knobs, it's easy to switch the pedal on or off without having to aim too carefully. This is important if playing on a stage that may not be especially well-lit.

Ibanez is a little less ideal, but it still has a large button set away from the knobs.

That's not to say I don't use effects with simple stomp switches, but I do prefer the Boss form-factor.

That being said, I did like some of the sounds of that ZVex pedal.

8. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Here is a little clip of the Distortron. This is my 1976 Marshall 2204 set clean. By clean, preamp is on 1, master is on less than 1. I am using an Epiphone Sheraton with 57 Classics and 500 K pots. You can hear the pick and the strings rattling in the background. Speaker is a well used 25 watt greenback.

Distortron is set with subs in 3, low gain, drive at 2 o'clock, volume at 10 o'clock, tone at noon.

Me, pretty much fumbling around:

MP3 Player SoundClick

9. smitty_p

That sounded pretty cool!

mdubya likes this.
  10. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

i use a mid 90's proco rat reissue. apparently it's collectable. who knew? coupled with my 68 silverface bassman i get a huge sound. i'm always dialing the pedal for different songs. it's very versatile- from slight crunch to full blown molten lava. my favourite distortion pedal i've ever used. and it's made in kalamazoo!

11. smitty_p

Tell me more. From Youtube demos and such, it can be kinda hard to get a real sense of how they sound. Many of the Youtube demos don't sound that great. I've considered the Rat and would be running into a Fender Champ, primarily. While this is, of course, WAY smaller than a Bassman, it is still a "clean only" amp. So, it's interesting to me to know how the Rat performs in a Fender.

12. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I use a rat from the first year they had the heavy thick casing.
    They sound absolutely wonderful with clean Fender Amplifiers.

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Oddly I've never played one. Any ideas how to describe the sound to me? maybe a good link?

Thanks. I'm always looking at stuff for a Fender clean platform.

14. smitty_p

I'm looking for a good link, too. There a lots of Rat videos on Youtube, but it seems whenever the video says something like, "First, here's the clean channel," its not really clean...its just sounds cleaner than the following distortion demo. However, the videos do provide some sense of what it sounds like, and it does sound pretty good.

15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks - but I do use a "really clean" tone myself, not two flavors of grind. I'll look around.
    Sometimes I like to hear what you guys have to say, though.

16. smitty_p

Same here. The heavy, rock-n-roll reputation of the SG aside, I often play very clean, with maybe just a hint of delay or chorus. Frequently, my clean is just guitar to amp, with all effects switched off.

When I say, "Clean," I'm referring to a truly clean, non-distorted sound. I also don't want a sterile, lifeless clean. Like you, I'm nuts for the Fender clean. It's lively, vibrant, and organic.

However, when it comes to distortion/overdrive pedal demos on Youtube, like I said in my earlier post, the "clean" portion of the demo often is not really clean. There's often still hint of distortion or gain in the supposed "clean" sound.

So, it gets frustrating to know how much of a distortion pedal sound is really the pedal, and how much is the amp being pushed further into overdrive by the pedal.

17. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

As far as new pedals I've been diggin the Green Rhino. I feel it broadens the harmonic content & exspands or fattens the tone even with the drive barely on.[​IMG] I liked it so much that I bought another as the possible tones & variation of drive are so versatile & worked so well in the groups I play with, I needed one for simple coloration / fattening of tone & harmonic content, then a second for more drive & or lead work boost. Like the Fender 'more gain' principle but way tastier. These pedals are still being produced & if you havent used one playing in a band situation & cranking your guitar through a responsive tube amp I would say you are denying yourself one of the simple pleasures we can experience as a guitar player. Crank Crank Crank it up! AAAAAAA

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Exactly! My basic clean sound works for me for a lot of rock, blues, jazz, even what little country I play!

On top of that I need: a light distortion/OD, a heavy, sweet fusion-y distortion,
    slap back echo, long delay echo, reverb, wah, and a flanger/phaser sort of thing, and a volume pedal.

That's it!

19. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

my clean sound isn't really that "clean". i play the bassman with both channels linked together with the deep and bright switches on and running about 5 or 6 on the volume so my "clean" sound has some teeth to it. i keep my clean sound the same for every song but adjust the rat's distortion level as needed for each song i play. when i play ac/dc i back off the distortion so it is just a bit grittier than my clean sound. when i play my original songs i like more rich creamery butter so i turn the distortion up more.the filter knob is very necessary on this pedal as it allows you to dial in the right feedback threshold for the distortion setting you're using.eg. when playing a more crunchy tone i add a bit of treble to allow it to cut through. however if i kept the filter at the same level for a more saturated tone it will squeal uncontrollably so i have to muddy it up a bit.
    it's my favourite distortion pedal but it may not be yours!
    i have played through a champ many years ago and loved the sound. i think the rat might work well with it. it has quite a lot of useful sounds but it can be overpowering if not used wisely - what i mean is if your clean sound is super clean and you put the rat on full distortion it my seem like TOO much of a contrast.
    if you are looking for a gnarley sound with lots of dimension i recommend it

20. turd ferguson

turd ferguson New Member

Fulltone ocd x2
    xotic ac booster.